Converting the iss into a spaceship to mars

deathbane

An analogy to help those who can't seem to understand that the ISS is not actually a spaceship.

Converting the ISS into an interplanetary Mars ship would be like turning a stationary deep sea oil platform into a cruise ship. Using only the tools and materials you can carry out to the platform in speed boats.

Makes no sense at all to send an old habitat, not designed for a mission in deep space, into deep space. Radiation issues alone would be enough to nix the idea, even if it was all brand new modules. Heck, it's not really fit for cislunar use, much less Mars. The number of reasons to use it are virtually nil, and the reasons against such use are about as many as you could name attributes of the ISS as a LEO facility.

Too complicated?...really? When it comes to engineering humans hit the mark i mean look to your left.... Now look to your right.... I can almost geuss with a 90% certinty thay what ever you saw requierd a engineering marval of some sorte

And acceleration would not be a problem because the ship would be moving at a snails pace remeber its about dv not thrust

The only problem i can see would be radiation and the only thing i can come up with is eather 1 water 2 lead based paint or 3 a big effing magnet

When you convert your car to run across the ocean trenches, then come back and repeat "nothing is too complicated", until then, it's simplicity all the way.

Forget Mars; I'd be impressed if they manage to do a controlled deorbit of the ISS.

Oh yeah, that'll be a fun light show. NASA has literally no experience doing controlled deorbits of large objects. The last space station they had crashed into western Australia.

The Russians, on the other hand, are pretty good at deorbiting large objects. Their cooperation could mean the difference between the whole thing safely burning up over the Pacific, or several hundred tons of space station smashing into an inhabited area.

Oh yeah, that'll be a fun light show. NASA has literally no experience doing controlled deorbits of large objects. The last space station they had crashed into western Australia.

The Russians, on the other hand, are pretty good at deorbiting large objects. Their cooperation could mean the difference between the whole thing safely burning up over the Pacific, or several hundred tons of space station smashing into an inhabited area.

Could enough of the station survive reentry? Enough to cause fatal injury?

Could enough of the station survive reentry? Enough to cause fatal injury?

Easily. Skylab massed about 77 tons, and pieces of it survived reentry and fell all over western Australia. No injuries, fortunately, but it was a pretty close call.

Mir was about 130 tons. It was deorbited into the Pacific in a controlled reentry. Its reentry profile was pretty steep, but several big pieces of it were recovered by salvagers.

The ISS is about 450 tons. Even in a controlled deorbit designed to maximize reentry heating, large chunks of it will survive.

It's not a question of whether pieces of it will survive reentry, it's a question of where those pieces will hit. And the answer to that question may very well depend on Russian goodwill towards the US.

I'm wondering if they are going to try to break it up into smaller pieces before they deorbit it. If not, there better be some on-the-scene video as it comes down.

If it is deorbited in a controlled manner, it would make more sense to keep it in one piece. Easier to bring the whole thing down then.

If it's not controlled though, trying to break it into smaller pieces before it reenters is probably a good idea. The problem is, most of its modules are no designed to be undocked. So while it might be possible to break off some of the smaller modules, you'll still have several hundred tons of space station barreling through the atmosphere.

I wonder if you could take only some modules from the ISS for free Mars habitation. Maybe with lots of rebuilding, but surely taking the stuff that's already up there would be more efficient than launching up new stuff.

No. We went over this already in the past 4 pages.

For those of you who can't be bothered to read four pages of posts, allow me to summarize.

SPACECRAFT. ARE. NOT. LEGOS.

Edit: Not trying to be a jerk here, but we literally covered every single reason why this wouldn't work. In four pages. Seriously.

Edited by GreenWolf

SPACECRAFT. ARE. NOT. LEGOS.

Well...

They are. Kind of. They, however, have millions of pieces. And each piece has pieces.

Plus, the whole point of a modular station is so you can put it together... Not like legos, though.

Plus, the whole point of a modular station is so you can put it together... Not like legos, though.

Sure, but rebuilding a space station to the point it can do such a mission means you would pretty much be building a Mars craft in orbit instead of on Earth. That is doing it the hard way. You would better just build another craft and launch it and be done with it.

Sure, but rebuilding a space station to the point it can do such a mission means you would pretty much be building a Mars craft in orbit instead of on Earth. That is doing it the hard way. You would better just build another craft and launch it and be done with it.

I know that.

The ISS can't really be refit very efficiently. It's a lab in orbit. That's what it was designed to be. It's just as expensive to refit it and make a Mars ship (if not more) as it is to build a new one. But, building a new one wouldn't destroy an already good on-orbit lab.

I wonder if you could take only some modules from the ISS for free Mars habitation. Maybe with lots of rebuilding, but surely taking the stuff that's already up there would be more efficient than launching up new stuff.

The Cupola would be a good score. I would think the solar panels would be good to salvage too, although I'm sure their rotary joints (SARJ) would be at the end of their lifespan.

Edit: I'm thinking more in line of pure salvage, not repurposing for a Mars mission

Edited by StrandedonEarth

I would think the solar panels would be good to salvage too, although I'm sure their rotary joints (SARJ) would be at the end of their lifespan.

Solar panels have a life expectancy of 20 years. They won't be generating much power when the ISS reaches its

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.