1.25m Engine Lift Tests!

I wondered how much a given engine could lift, so with the help of Kerbal Engineer I was able to calculate, minus the weight of each engine itself, how much they could lift at a 1.00 minimum TWR. I plan to do .625m and smaller engines next, then move on to 2.5m and then 3.75m as well, that is, if you guys are interested :D

Here's the first set:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

A thing I learn in KSP is you can lift about 0.1 * thrust in ton

Specifically with (force in newtons) you can lift (acceleration due to gravity) * (mass in kg).

Replace newtons with kilonewtons and kg with tons if you prefer, the result is the same :)

IIRC Kerbin has the same 9.81m/s/s of gravity that Earth does. Allowing 10kN/ton will give you just enough thrust to actually move; at 9.81kN/ton you're able to maintain altitude, but no more.

Thanks! You should do comparisons between 1.25m clusters and 2.5m single engines.

Good idea, I'll try that! It might get kinda complicated, tho... :/

Hey, by the way, I'll post a different thread on this later, but I figured out a really good way to organize your crafts.

You'll notice I had my test rockets named "Experimental - ____________", well I figured out I could categorize all my crafts this way, with tags like Experimental, Station for station pieces, Lander, Base, etc. Also, I have Recreational and Indev tabs, which, recreational being just kinda like, a roleplay thing or a replica, and Indev is something In Development, so I know where to look when I wanna work on a certain craft. I also went into the save file and disabled stock vessels, they clutter up the list, especially when it's alphabetical.

Hope that helps!

-Slab

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.