A fun idea I had.

What if the Astronaut Complex had video games relating to the upgrade level?

Tier 0: Coinop Munar Lander

-A basic Lunar Lander clone, with settings for Duna, Eve, Kerbin, Mun, or Minmus.

-It would serve as "training" for space flight and landings

Tier 1: KES (Kerbal Entertainment System, we already have a decorative one if you look) Super Kerman Brothers

-You are a Kerbanaut who just landed on Duna, and you are on EVA trying to fight off evil space zombie mushrooms and save your science experiments from the Giant Antiscience Face of Duna!

-There need only be three or four levels.

-It would serve as "training" for Extravehicular Activities.

Tier 2: SKES Star Plane

-A Spaceplane "Simulator" where you fight off evil space aliens bent on destroying Kerbin by doing barrel rolls and other atmospheric maneuvers in the atmosphere (and shooting at them I guess).

-Tier two was the hardest to think of since there aren't many cool things in the tier 2 upgrade. So instead, I just said "What are they going to do after landing on Mun and/or Minmus?" And the answer was "They might start playing around with spaceplanes."

Tier 3: Coinop Asteroids Game

-Would be an asteroids clone except for the fact that this time you're orbiting a planet instead of a perpetual black space.

-"Training" for Asteroid Redirect Mission.

-Since it's training for ARM, perhaps then instead of shooting the asteroids into oblivion, you're supposed to get the most asteroids into orbit with your fuel reserves. I guess then it would be slower paced...

Now, these wouldn't actually be pointless throwaway easter eggs that serve no purpose, they could actually be really cool tutorials to help new players learn what they have to do. Landing in Lunar Lander is easier than landing on the Mun in KSP, so it would help newbies to know what to do. Star Plane would probably have some value for helping teach players how flying a plane into space works using a super-arcadified-aerodynamics system. Asteroids would perhaps further help in the aid of learning orbital mechanics in a finer-tuned way, after you've learned the basics, and would help flesh out rendezvous skills. Super Kerman Bros would probably have a jetpack level or something to help you learn how to fly Kerbals, or maybe it would really be just pointless fun.

I had this idea several months ago, but it was only when I saw that Take On Mars had a coinop in the Space Program Mode that I decided it might actually work in KSP.

TL;DR: Several arcade games in the astronaut complex that could actually act as tutorials for new players.

I think this is a stupendousingly fantastific idea. In fact, I registered in the forum just to reply!

It would help a lot introduce newbies in this very barebone-looking game.

Some more here:

- In authentical Kerbal style, games should look like an absurd mix between cheap coinops and huge military simulators. A paper sign "Simulator room" should show loosely attached to a previous "Videogames lounge" one.

- Maybe old or silly graphics / playstyle from old KSP versions could be used. If I can't remember KSP started 2D, am I wrong?

- As you said they could be an alternative/complement to "official" tutorials. Asteroid (which I would put in the lowest tier) is excellent to teach how to move (in 2D) a spacecraft.

- They could improve (more difficoult, more realistic, more levels, etc.) with next tiers

- They will cost actual funds (say 1 fund for 10 coins) but you can win some jackpot after beating the final big bad kraken. The jackpot is always visible and is raising constantly with time, because pilots, engineers and scientists are playing in their spare time. Nobody will win the jackpot except the Player. Once the jackpot is won, the coinop is removed and a new (harder) one takes its place.

- You can choose to play them with one selected pilot (or engineer os scientist) to improve his experience (be careful, thou: as we all know, videogames improve stupidity too!). Stats with "videogame - pardon - simulation hours" would be included in the crew report.

- Hi scores

- The first one should teach you very basic tips to start the simplest rockets (how to thorottle, how to start engine, the most important keys...) or to build them

- yes, phisically semplified "simulations" of Real KSP life but also...

- phisically respectful version of silly famous games: a low gravity Mario Bros clone, or a docking version of Pipemania, a VAB-based Tetris, or a Pong/Breakout with real ballistic and atmospheric drag, or a no gravity jet-assisted Doom/Wolfenstein3D...

Well, thanks for your awesome idea!

You mean Descent? :cool:

Probably the second best computer game ever.

In "shooters" genre, Descent 2 is best game ever. Far Cry can go away crying.

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, monamipierrot said:

No, it's too silly.

Are you mad at me? You asked for a definition, and I told you how I saw it. If you aren't mad, and that's just you're opinion, that's fine. But if you are mad, can you please keep it on the other thread?

Edited by Andem

53 minutes ago, Andem said:

If you aren't mad, and that's just you're opinion, that's fine.

Yep, that's my opinion: it is a silly thing. For this reason I both love it and doubt it would ever come to life, and even less in 1.2

If you think I am mad at you on the "silly incident", well, you may want to revise the "silly incident" in the other thread. Here I was just facing you with hard reality. If it sounds ironic or sarcastic, well, it's because life is ironic and sarcastic, and I want to laugh at it, not at you.

Peace.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.