What have you learned from KSP?

Columbia

Hello, forums!

We all know about the learning potential KSP has, and cherish it for the game. It's one of the things that make it unique from other games. But what did you learn from it that you cherish the most?

For me.. well, other than the basics of orbital mechanics, I learned that mistakes are inevitable events that strike whether it be a booster slightly placed off-center or a wobbly rocket, and the only thing you can do is learn from it. Making mistakes on a launch is perfectly okay. But you learn from it, cherish it and apply it to your designs, so that when you are having a conventional satellite launch or having your first Munshot, that strut will hold on, that landing leg won't destroy itself to bits, and the booster won't separate too early.

What about you guys?

I finally got around to learn orbital mechanics and getting a feel for the rocket equation (I knew how to derive it, but true knowledge comes from application). Further, I learned the Arduino programming environment, and how to make simple electronics and circuits in practice, starting from nothing but theoretical knowledge.

What I learned from KSP is that playing KSP while you should be studying / doing homework results in abnormally high scores on tests! It seems that learning rocket science tops everything there is to be taught at school.

I've learned so much about orbital mechanics and rocketry (deriving the rocket equation from scratch was fun) and developed a much better intuition for forces and momentum in general.

I teach physics and math for a living, so KSP as a hobby synergizes remarkably well with my job! My knowledge from teaching physics makes me better at Kerbal, and my experience in Kerbal inspires me with ideas for examples to use in class.

I've learned that rockets stage.

Who knew!?

I've also learned that the people at NASA/Roscosmos/ESA/etc are very smart. Smarter than I thought, and I thought that they were very smart. But they topped that. Building a Space Shuttle that works, docking (I had no idea what this was until KSP), etc.

Basic orbital mechanics. Advanced orbital mechanics. What the heck Isp means. All the real rocketry things that people debate on the forums and come up with mods for, such as: pros and cons of different fuel types; how vacuum thrust is higher than sea level thrust; what TWR you need at various stages in a rocket's flight; that plane changes in real life are no small matter; and a host of other things that makes me really appreciate what's actually been done by all the nations and organizations that have successfully flung something into space.

I wouldnt know where to start! Basics of orbital maneouvres and concepts, gravity assists, rocketry related concepts, basic fluid dinamics, spaceship stage comprehension, several space related terms (i.e. SSTO, Apoapsis,...), mathematics, physics, and im forgetting things for sure.

Apart from that I constantly pay attention to all real life space launch and have investigated a lot about probes and real space missions. I could say KSP strenghted my interest in space and aeronautics.

Definitely one of the top 5 (sometimes the best) games ever played, and the most educational by far.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.