Devnote Tuesday: It’s All In The Details

SQUAD

True.... True...

But since Squad is based* in a timezone where it's not April 1st yet, I would think that it would happen later.

*Not all members

It's always happy-hour somewhere. April Fools Day shenanigans for 48 hours straight.

It's always happy-hour somewhere. April Fools Day shenanigans for 48 hours straight.

Looks like it is... well, let's hope they won't break the forums this time.

- - - Updated - - -

God* help us all.

*Or [insert Religious Entity of Choice] if you prefer.

My thought exactly, GreenWolf. My thought exactly.

A bit of a catch-22: Keeping your kerbals alive will make each new one more expensive to hire, but killing off "colonists" will probably reduce your reputation, meaning less rewarding contracts being offered. Decisions, decisions...

Mission Control: "Ok Sigley, it's time to pack up your Tylo base, so we can launch a new base to Eeloo. Get the other 4 members of your crew together, board the lander, and blast off towards the mothership"

Sigley: "But Gene, it barely has enough fuel to go 5km straight up!"

Mission Control: "That'll be fine. Trust us...."

A bit of a catch-22: Keeping your kerbals alive will make each new one more expensive to hire, but killing off "colonists" will probably reduce your reputation, meaning less rewarding contracts being offered. Decisions, decisions...

Which is pretty strange, considering that you can just decline contracts until some easy stuff comes around (like "test stuff on the launchpad" or "test stuff splashed"). And if you don't have some contract mods, these appear quite often.

Although that wouldn't impact experienced players, that's for sure. I'm trying to recall when it was the last time I've accidentally lost a Kerbal... 0.22, probably.

Mission Control: "Ok Sigley, it's time to pack up your Tylo base, so we can launch a new base to Eeloo. Get the other 4 members of your crew together, board the lander, and blast off towards the mothership"

Sigley: "But Gene, it barely has enough fuel to go 5km straight up!"

Mission Control: "That'll be fine. Trust us...."

you know you can fire kerbals without killing them?

you monster :P

Mike (Mu): Another fun week of bugs and balancing. Have put a lot more work into the aero/thermal side of things plus fixed a load more issues besides.

Jim (Romfarer): This week I’ve focused on bug fixing, the sort of bugs that have come from merging all the branches together. Between that I’ve worked on getting the resource panel in the Knowledge Base up to standards.

Any chance of a little elaboration on the bugs squashed, old/new, severity/hilarity etc?

Also does this mean it's time for another issue of Hilarious Build Adventures or is there nothing as good as the permanent rolling explosions this time around?

Not just a toggle. There is a scaling tweak in the game settings screen. Set it to 0 for no wobble at all, or if you're brave (and very tolerant to motion sickness) set it to >1.

In any case, this isn't a gratuitous shaky-cam effect. The camera isn't going to be constantly wobbling about just for show. The movement is always based on something, like pulling Gs, or atmospheric flight at very high speeds.

Cheers

PLEASE tell me that the wobble effect is available for IVA too!

Just found your confirmation on Reddit, THANK YOU!

Edited by SaturnV

• Added TrackIR support to all game views, plus independent toggles for each of those in game settings
  • Added Field of View control to the main flight camera. (Hold modKey and zoom)
  • Added confirmation dialogs .prompting you to save the current craft on leaving, loading or creating a new craft to the editors.
  • Added a confirmation dialog before overwriting a previously saved craft file.

Thank you so much for all of this. This is all wonderful and beautiful!

Edit: Prior to reading all the other posts, I just assumed the camera shake would only be for IVA. It makes sense for IVA flying as long as the effect isn't overdone, but would be undesirable for the regular external view. Please allow the player the option of enabling the reactive shake separately for internal and external cameras.

Edited by White Owl

Does hiring cost also depend on rep? It seems like it *should*, because a program with a great reputation has an easier time convincing people to work for them. But that might also be a strategies thing (like the spending-rep-for-cheap-parts strategy).

Thanks for the devnotes Squad, happy to hear about the craft overwrite confirmation.

Not just a toggle. There is a scaling tweak in the game settings screen. Set it to 0 for no wobble at all, or if you're brave (and very tolerant to motion sickness) set it to >1.

In any case, this isn't a gratuitous shaky-cam effect. The camera isn't going to be constantly wobbling about just for show. The movement is always based on something, like pulling Gs, or atmospheric flight at very high speeds.

Sounds great, I for one am quite excited about this new feature :). Could you include a shake cam trigger when a craft goes trans sonic, i.e. ~340 m/s at sea lvl on kerbin (with sound effects plz).

Also, while I'm at it, could you implement a center of drag indicator in the SPH/VAB? This would help immensely with atmospheric craft design. (also a fuel slider for the combined fuel in a craft would be particularly helpful with the new fuel balancer feature coming up).

Thanks!

Edit: Has roger mentioned if the smoke effects he's working on are for ingame animations or for the ksp cinematic? Anyone?

Edited by Yakuzi
more questions

Thanks for the devnotes Squad, happy to hear about the craft overwrite confirmation.

Also, while I'm at it, could you implement a center of drag indicator in the SPH/VAB? This would help immensely with atmospheric craft design. (also a fuel slider for the combined fuel in a craft would be particularly helpful with the new fuel balancer feature coming up).

I believe this is incorporated into (or superseded by...?) the new overlay.

I could be mistaken though. I'd want to check through older devnotes to be sure.

Center of drag does not make sense as a point separated from canter of lift, there should be a single point, called "Aerodynamic Center" or whatever you want to call it.

To give you a simple example of the reason behind that, assume you have a small angle of attack while building on the SPH.

Part of the lift effects of your wings will be pulling the plane back, part of the drag will be pulling it down, what is lift and what is drag there?

You cannot simply assume that all forces pulling the craft back are drag and up are lift, nor can you do that referencing the cockpit position.

Both forces are acting together on the craft, that is what gives the craft it's flight characteristics.

Edited by tetryds

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.