RSS SSTO Challenge

Challenge: Launch a Single Stage To Orbit (SSTO) in Real Solar System.

® Rules:

1- Any Type of SSTO = 100 Score

2- Payload > 10 Ton = 50 Score

3- Can reach 400km Circular Orbit. = 25 Score

(H) Hard Mode:

1- Reusable = 100 Score

and/or

2- Payload > 15 Ton = 80 Score

and/or

3- Moon Landing Capable = 300 Score

Scoring: Add ® Scores and (H) Scores to get your total score.

Notes: Any suggestion is welcome. It's hard but feasible as I've done it already. (Tip) I keep it simple enough to achieve the goals.

Have Fun!

Edited by Devinci

Drop tanks?

I have done it without any drop tanks. The whole vessel(96t where 50t is payload) is in a stable 300km orbit.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm doing a engine-drop SSTO, but do I have to show proof the staged can land safely?

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/WuOc1PjlpLvPp01w4XxHyg--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9Mjc2O3E9OTU7dz0zNTA-/http://www.up-ship.com/drawndoc/sdoc63ad.jpg

Like this.

Cheers, CP

Yes, that could count as reuseability score but the engines have to be in orbit first. Basically You don't stage anything until you reach a safe circular orbit. I've done it but it was tricky. I'm waiting a bit before I post my version to see what people come up with!

Challenge: Launch a Single Stage To Orbit (SSTO) in Real Solar System.

Notes: Any suggestion is welcome. It's hard but feasible as I've done it already. (Tip) I keep it simple enough to achieve the goals.

Have Fun!

Do you mean RO or just RSS? and is it RSS 6.4 or full Earth RSS?

If so I have built a SSTO space plane that works in 6.4 and in RSS Earth without RO. But never got one to fully work in RO with AJE+RF and all that jazz.

Do you mean RO or just RSS? and is it RSS 6.4 or full Earth RSS?

If so I have built a SSTO space plane that works in 6.4 and in RSS Earth without RO. But never got one to fully work in RO with AJE+RF and all that jazz.

It's Realism Overhall with full Earth RSS and all the required mods (FAR, AJE, RF, etc). Also an SSTO does not actually need to be a space plane. That's much harder if you were able to achieve it!

It's Realism Overhall with full Earth RSS and all the required mods (FAR, AJE, RF, etc). Also an SSTO does not actually need to be a space plane. That's much harder if you were able to achieve it!

I like this challenge!. I thought it wasn't possible to do a SSTO with RO!

I like this challenge!. I thought it wasn't possible to do a SSTO with RO!

It was possible after a couple of hours of tweaking :) at least for me. But a space plane SSTO is much harder!

- - - Updated - - -

I was gonna post my version from an imgur album but looks like I don't have permission to post HTML codes?

https://imgur.com/a/3N60t

It was possible after a couple of hours of tweaking :) at least for me. But a space plane SSTO is much harder!

- - - Updated - - -

I was gonna post my version from an imgur album but looks like I don't have permission to post HTML codes?

Its not a permissions thing, its a code thing.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

[ imgur ] 3N60t [ / imgur ]<nospaces

One question. Is the successful re-entry of the SSTO part of challenge? I think it should, taking into account that from a realistic point of view, it will be nice to have a full reusable SSTO :)

If the answer is "of course!" haha. Did you achieve this? I'm struggling at the moment haha.

One question. Is the successful re-entry of the SSTO part of challenge? I think it should, taking into account that from a realistic point of view, it will be nice to have a full reusable SSTO :)

If the answer is "of course!" haha. Did you achieve this? I'm struggling at the moment haha.

That is very very hard if you are using Deadly reentry. I tried it for hours then gave up! If you achieve re-entry you get more points of course.

• 1 month later...
That is very very hard if you are using Deadly reentry. I tried it for hours then gave up! If you achieve re-entry you get more points of course.

Sorry for the delay Devinci but I have been working on this during the last month! And finally:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I think I'm getting ® 100+50 = 150. And (H) 100 + 80 =180. Total = 330!

What about Single Stage to Mars and back?

FYXvMfW.png

This rocket weights 3150t on the launchapd, it can send 200t to LEO (from Kourou) and ~ 70-100t to Mars using free return trajectory. Payload goes to the Mars surface while rest of the rocket can easily back to Earth using gravity assist.

eCQv458.png

This version uses 24x RD-120 and one NERVA for interplanetary transfer but I will probably switch to 20x RS-25 and 2 NERVA to get better/similar performance and 2x higher TWR.

iFM79Ny.png

Currently it's not reentry/landing capable but it's just a matter of time when it will be :wink:

ah.. it seems like it could go to Jupiter and back but without useful fraction of payload (just giant flying fuel tank :))

More pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/f88Ff

btw. how to make thumbnails?

Pretty impressive work! I need you to tell me one thing asap. Which is the texture package you are using for RSS? Yours look much better than mine! I'm using the 4096 DDS package for RSS.

Also, are you using the full RO package? BTW, I can't see any solar panels, how are you charging your batteries?

8K for Earth and Realistic Visual Enhacements, that's why it looks so beautiful.

Yes, I am using full RO and there is one problem. RD-120 and RS-25 are most efficient first stage engines in the world but none of them have restart capabilty. I will need to install another engines + different fuel just for landing.

Regarding panels... well I've forgotten to put them so it runs out of electricity very quickly :)

I have done it without any drop tanks. The whole vessel(96t where 50t is payload) is in a stable 300km orbit.

<snip>

That does not look remotely close to a >50% payload fraction rocket. Unless you are counting the dry mass of the lifter itself as payload.

Still, any SSTO in RSS/RO is impressive, well done!

By "Mün landing capable" does it have to be the SSTO that lands or can the payload undock, land, and re-dock?

I think that is not very clear. I'd say the SSTO because this a SSTO challenge. My 30 tons of max payload can easily carry some kerbals to the moon and back but I can't land my SSTO on the Moon :( .

But we are not talking here about what you can do with you payload is more about, what can you do with you SSTO right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.