Advanced Aircraft, Building Techniques And Help

V8jester

Ha, Ha. Jester's Thread

This is my multipurpose thread. Screenshots, pointers, downloads and general discussion for advanced building techniques. Using things like Infernal Robotics, part clipping and stabilizing. This is to post my ideas as well as allow you guys to show off your own creations. Basically anything you feel was a complex mess to get flying, driving or floating. The whole idea here is to pass ideas and info around so everyone can build some great stuff. Don't just post a picture and run, This thread is more about "look what I built, and here's how I did it" There's already a thread for Screenshots

One of my favorite helicopter of all time the RAH-66 Comanche - More under "Projects"

screenshot7_zpsr22ylzph.png~original

One of my Favorite videos so far. My Protolift lander going to Duna

vOPliX4.png

Projects

Spoiler

RKE Kanadarm

Spoiler

Download

An arm built to demonstrate IR setup and function. With 3 preset stopping points to pick up tool heads using action groups.

Press (o) to open the B9 Aerospace info drive

Modified to only require

RKE Kanadarm

Infernal Robotics

IR Rework

B9 Aerospace

-Video Coming soon

Dextre

I've been working on a new version of Dextre from the ISS. I added Tweakscale to all the RKE Kanadarm parts as well as used procedural parts to accomplish this build.

When dealing with exceptionally complex and intricate IR builds. I will break out my robotics in lists by "left arm Dextre" "right arm Dextre" "Kanadarm" and so on. Then under those lists I will mark the individual joints like "Wrist" "Elbow" and so on. This helps drastically with the overall length of the robotics menu list in flight. This is also very useful to move an entire group of parts back to there home position all at once without having to sacrifice an action group. You can see an example of this in the video above when manipulating my original version of Dextre.

Here is the Tweakscale MM Patch for RKE Kanadarm I used - Also increases the mass of the Lee and PDGF slightly to make them a little less wobbly.

//RKE Kanadarm Tweakscale Patch By V8Jester

@PART[rkekarm075]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekarm100]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekarm200]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekarm400]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekarm600]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekelbow]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkeklee]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkeklee]
{
@mass = .05
}

@PART[rkekpdgf]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekpdgf]
{
@mass = .05
}

@PART[rkekrotor]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekrotor2]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekspacer]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

screenshot1_zpszkmxzqja.png~original

screenshot2_zpsxx20fbch.png~original

V-22 Osprey

Spoiler

Broken with B9 P-Wings update! - COM is thrown off

VTOLs are tricky. VTOLs with rotating engine nacelles changing you COM and COT with no RCS are even more so. A major issue I ran into early on was the inability to use any kind of auto hovering mod like Vertical Velocity Control. The issue was there was too much play in the IR Rotatrons, and the nacelles would wiggle. Causing the plane to bounce up and down while decreasing its altitude instead of hovering. To get around this I used Quantum Struts "Strut Guns" from the fuselage to the nacelles, right under the wings. The struts are toggled thru an action group. This way I can lock the nacelles in either vertical or horizontal flight. The other big hurtle was COM being bellow the COT when in forward flight. This would cause the plane to go into an unrecoverable nose dive. But just like the real Osprey, I used the planes own aerodynamics to counter its A-symmetric thrust. So during forward flight you need to stay above a given speed to gain controllability, or switch to VTOL / STOL mode to regain low speed maneuverability.

Demo of Quantum struts stabilizing Nacelles

Hover held with Horizontal Landing Aid - Vertical Velocity Control

-Video Coming soon

Mods

Adjustable landing gear

B9 Procedural wings

B9 Aerospace

BD armory

Fantom works

Firespitter

HullCamVDS

Infernal Robotics

IR Rework

KAX

Tweakscale

Custom Reworked Firespitter Helicopter Rotor - Download Below

v3 Craft Download - 1.0.2

Custom FS Rotor - Snjo and Keptin approved - Update coming soon

Photos

Instructions

!!!!!You must use my reworked FS rotor and tweak rotor max RPM to max in flight or it wont take off!!!!!

Add the Tweakscale "Free Scale" module below to BD Armory minigun as well as BD ABL laser if you want the proper proportions on the craft

MODULE
	{
	name = TweakScale type = free
	}

SAS must be turned on

With max rotor RPM Set The Osprey will take off with a little under 3/4 throttle - Full throttle will slowly flip on takeoff

All action groups can be previewed by pressing "o"

Rotor nacelles do not have limits assigned to them due to me not figuring out the new symmetry rules with IR at the time of this build

Hover is assigned to an action group but it really doesn't work - (Nacelles wiggle too much with IR Rotatrons, needs struts if you want to auto hover)

Go easy on the transition from VTOL to plane mode. You need the aerodynamic forces to stabilize forward flight

Belly mounted turret is linked to a HullCam camera. Press "+-" to activate cam press "9" to select minigun or laser

Use JKIL to pan and tilt camera and turret in tandem.

Part count 200

Space Station

Spoiler

Photos

16 launches, no hyperedit and it was running at 20fps!

The best trick I can pass on with stations is don't use RCS to stabilize or dock parts of the station. By eliminating the RCS I cut the part count of the station by almost half. Instead I built a space tug with an abundance of RCS and SAS to grab and position parts of the station. You can see the tug in the upper right portion of the station.

screenshot7_zpsuw5w5qnk.png~original

Constellation

Spoiler

Photos

Mods

B9 Aerospace

BD Constellation Essentials - Modified (Tweakscale added, Engine output adjusted)

Chaka Monkey

Habitat Pack

IR Rework

LionHead Solar Panels

Procedural parts

Tweakscale

Procedural Tanks is a great mod! I used that to decrease my overall part count while adding additional detail to the build. By adding monopellant tanks and batteries that appeared as detail items like straps and alternating colors, or structural components like the contingency habitat section.

screenshot1_zps1rvar6cm.png~original

Spaceship 1

Spoiler

Inspired by Angorek and his replica

White Knight 1 and Spaceship 1

Photos

This version has a working reentry tilt Feather for Spaceship 1 using IR and B9 Invisible Struts

Mods

Adjustable Landing Gear

B9 Aerospace

B9 Procedural Wings

Procedural Parts

Space Shuttle Main Engines

Tweakscale

Infernal Robotics

IR Rework

KW Rocketry

Mechjeb

Quantum Struts Continued

Download

I built SS1 first, then built White Knight around it as though it was simply a stage on a rocket. The most complicated and coolest part of this build was probably the feather system on SS1. I built it much like my B-2 bomber rotor. First I surface attached IR Rotatrons to the fuselage, then Tweakscaled I-beams node attached to those. Last a surface attached Uncontrolled Rotatron at the end of the I-beams facing back to the fuselage. The uncontrolled Rotatrons were centered using the Offset Tool with Angle Snap turned on. The uncontrolled Rotatrons were then anchored to the fuselage with B9 Invisible Struts. All the folding portions of the wings were finally attached to the I-beams. Also to eliminate any additional flex, an invisible strut between the two rear wings of the feather. To setup the Controlled Rotatrons with limits of 0 to 60 degrees. I setup the limits of the Rotatron I could rotate forward from 0 to +60 degrees. Then set the other one -60 to 0 and finally reversed this negative rotating Rotatron. This way you can use an action group to disengage the Quantum Struts and deploy the feather to 60 degrees all at once.

screenshot7_zpsvdlimkaw.png~original

screenshot16_zpsbwimogzd.png~original

Spaceship 2

Spoiler

Because I couldn't leave well enough alone.

White knight 2 and Spaceship 2

Photos

Video

Mods

Adjustable Landing Gear

B9 Aerospace

B9 Procedural Wings

Chaka Monkey

Fantom Works

Infernal Robotics

IR Rework

KW Rocketry

Mechjeb

Procedural Parts

Tweakscale

Quantum Struts Continued

White knight 1 and 2 are extreme high altitude drop planes. So to make them fly high I needed high altitude engines. But RAPIER engines don't look scale enough. So I clipped them inside B9 Turbo Fans using Tweakscale a Structural Mount and the Offset Tool. This way when flying at extremely high altitudes the plane will maintain speed and controllability in thin air using 8 engines, 4 of which are switchable to rocket mode. I also clipped large B9 air scoops into the top of the side fuselages to add to the shape as well as supply a tremendous amount of air. The other hurdle to overcome was flex. With such a large unsupported wingspan, it flexed like crazy. So I used about 12 of the invisible struts from B9, so I didn't mess with the ships aesthetics.

screenshot12_zpscqvrlt12.png~original

screenshot4_zpswpvdnkea.png~original

HU-16 Albatross

Spoiler

Grumman HU-16 Albatross. Or more recently known.... The plane from the first Expendables. It can take off and land on either water or land.

This was a blast to build and fly. I added Tweakscale to Lack's SXT mod to get the floats for the plane. I also clipped floats on either side of the center fuselage to (1) provide more buoyancy (2) help to keep the plane level during water take off, and (3) Make a wider more realistic wake in the water. I also wrote an MM patch to override the max length of the Firespitter Biplane strut, so I could add scale looking antenna wires to the top of the plane. My issue with building seaplanes before was take off. The thing that makes this plane work so well in the water, just like the real plane. is the angle of the main wings and engines. The angle of the KAX engines and lift from the steep angled B9 Procedural wings and optionally deployed flaps will literally pull the whole plane straight up out of the water decreasing drag. My original planes would always get stuck after landing in water. Due to the tremendous amount of drag from the water, I couldn't gain enough speed for take off. But this design solves that issue.

Thanks to 1.0.5's new water physics. This plane can't go swimming anymore... On the plus side it it snorkels and yard sale's fairly well.

screenshot3_zpsgt9r6fnn.png~original

screenshot4_zpst7owv1g9.png~original

screenshot2_zpslyq4npzp.png~original

screenshot5_zpseyw4qcb8.png~original

Video

H-4 Hercules "The Spruce Goose"

Spoiler

This was by far the largest single craft I've built. The wing tips overlap the KSC runway. To deal with flex I again used B9 invisible struts as well as a two piece wing using B9 P-wings to cut down on wing parts. Fuel is stored in the wings above the fuselage while the wing tips are empty. I made a MM Patch to adjust the offset and specifics of the buoyancy for the SXT floats, while also adding Tweakscale for the main belly of the plane. Also used SXT cockpit and engines.

The video bellow also features the new water shader in the newest release of Scatterer

Beriev BE-103 / BE-200

Spoiler

A quick video of my two Beriev amphibious planes. For the BE-103 I used slightly up pitched front wings while also using two small down turned wings on the tail to counter its offset thrust. On the BE-200 I made use of a lot of Firespitter structural / fuel tanks. For the back bone of the plane. Also used small B9 Procedural Wings all moving control fins on the tail to add more control for pitch.

Lamda Class T-4a Shuttle - Star Wars

Spoiler

For all the Star Wars fans out there. The Lamda Class T-4a Imperial shuttle. Balance was such a pain on this build! There's 11 LLL small and large gyroscopes as well as 32 KW SAS units (removed the 8 High powered RCS ports Shown in the video as the SAS was more than enough with some slight tweaking). 8 Gimbaled SSME VTOL rocket engines, and 3 IR docking washer / hinges per wing, I attached the additional docking washers to the wings with struts. I used 4 quantum struts to hold the wings in either landing or flight modes. The two wings and wing mounted cannons where built independent (not mirrored) so IR would work properly and invert the wing movements for left and right while using action groups and stop limits. The 4 cannons, landing gear and wings are all on a single set of action groups to deploy or retract all at once. Two features I didn't show in the pictures are a drop down 8 troop hold under the belly between the landing legs of the ship, using a LLL drop bay. And a twin 20mm Vulcan tail gun from Spanners Boomstick Continued. The helmets, lightsaber and blasters are all from Pro Props.

screenshot1_zps67hdkl9c.png~original

screenshot6_zps5ey06jcp.png~original

screenshot9_zpsp0cvchgr.png~original

Video

Upsilion Class Command Shuttle - Star Wars

Spoiler

Just saw "The Force Awakens" And I was truly impressed! The new replacement for the Imperial shuttle is the Upsilion Class Command Shuttle. With it's enormous wings it was a challenge to get flying without an uncontrollable climb. (And not look like a flying noodle with all the Infernal Robotics components in the wings) Hidden inside the wings are IR Gantry rails for the upper extensions, and Tweakscaled IR hinges for the lower sections. Wings are secured in place, either retracted or deployed with Quantum struts. I compensated for its A-symmetric lift / thrust with 10 Large and 14 small Lack Luster Labs Gyroscopes. No RCS Was needed as the SAS was more than enough. I assigned the wings, Quantum struts and landing gear to a deploy and retract set of action groups. Both of the action groups disable all the Quantum struts when pressed. I then assigned the activate command on all the Quantum struts to the "Abort" (Backspace) Action group to save my 1 - 10 commands.

screenshot11_zps9vocrsy4.png~original

screenshot12_zpszjep9s3r.png~original

screenshot13_zpshnpsjxrp.png~original

screenshot15_zps1u1ssgqf.png~original

screenshot19_zpskvdjdbuw.png~original

Here's a video of Featuring Kylo Ren's shuttle as well as Palpatine's shuttle

Air to Air Refueling

Spoiler

This was quite interesting trying to line up these first pictures. I used a Tweakscaled KAS magnet for the connection, at the end of a RKE Kanadarm Tube (physics are handled differently on RKE tubes, so no flex). Mechjeb's altitude and heading control was used to align and stabilize the two planes. And a whole lot of patients with the keyboard. The two planes only staid connected for a few seconds so I had to dock the planes together twice to get these pictures.

In the video I managed to dock using a custom cfg for a squad docking port.

screenshot1_zps0byjvod3.png~original

screenshot4_zpsze6xrbvy.png~original

After some practice I am now using my custom Docking Port cfg and can now dock much larger, and more difficult to fly crafts

screenshot17_zpsk8fkrwsk.png~original

Another option to a ridged connection is using a KAS winch in "undocked" mode to allow separate control of each plane. This is by far the most controllable and stable option. I enabled infinite electricity to allow the green light on drogue line to glow. The drogue itself was constructed of a KAS port, a custom docking port and Tweakscaled squad airbrakes / basic fins. Each plane is being flown by Mechjeb spaceplane guidance set to the same heading. With the chase plane set 10 meters lower and decreased throttle. The fuel boom on the X-47B is built from Tweakscaled RKE Kanadarm tubes as they are physics-less and don't wobble. I then secured the docking port at the end of the boom, back to the plane with a single quantum strut just to eliminate any wobble from the IR Pivitron. The KC-10 in these pictures has either a solid fuel boom or one of two drogue lines. Each is controlled independently.

screenshot5_zpsmcztmvnk.png~original

screenshot7_zps4zt5cxsw.png~original

screenshot6_zpsvhfmh3vg.png~original

A great use for the Drogue method, is docking off center of the tanker Here is the same X-47 B docked to a KC-135 (Using this method, there is no fuel flow possible at this time due to limitations with KAS in Undocked mode)

screenshot20_zpsujwaewcz.png~original

More On Air to Air Refueling Here

RAH-66 Comanche

Spoiler

One of the aircraft I have wanted to build since I started playing KSP was the RAH-66 Comanche. I have only seen One Other built in KSP and ever since I saw it, I knew I needed to build one.

Building an aircraft primarily out of P-wings presents multiple challenges. Foremost being flexibility of the fuselage. To combat this I built the helicopter on a "chassis" This chassis was built using two Tweakscaled Squad I-beams which everything else would ultimately attach to. First Items attached to this chassis were the main and tail rotors as well as the landing gear. As these items would present the most stress to the overall design. The fuselage was then built nose to tail. Once built I went through about 6 versions with various tweaks until I got everything in the shape I wanted. I then used fuel tanks in the nose attached to the chassis, to counterbalance the weight to get it right where I needed it to be. From there it was a lot of patients with the editor window for B9 P-wings and about 3 days worth of work. When building like this, patients and lots of breaks in between Brain melting sessions is the key, or else you end up throwing your keyboard through your monitor. Another trick I used was, using a pair of KW Rocketry 5m Fairing Bases, for the tail fan shroud. The fan shroud is made from two of them back to back and clipped through each other. Then the Firespitter Tail Rotor is installed surface mounted and backwards inside the Procedural Parts Structural Elements "Fan Hub". So it's facing the proper direction but installed on the proper side for the Comanche.

screenshot7_zpsr22ylzph.png~original

screenshot3_zpszycwdkg1.png~original

screenshot0_zpsazg7upw9.png~original

screenshot1_zpsblkuvcop.png~original

screenshot4_zpskkbb4d9s.png~original

screenshot2_zpsklrosxgr.png~original

Pictures of the Chassis

screenshot8_zpsft43majp.png~original

screenshot9_zpsj1htiq3i.png~original

Video

100+ Mods And Running Strong!

n5xhTGC.png

1.3 Mod List

Spoiler

Advanced Tweakables Button

Aircraft Carrier Accessories

Air Park (Git)

All Y'all

A.S.E.T. Landing Legs

A.S.E.T. Landing Legs - 1.2 Patch

Automated Aerial Refueling

Aviation Cockpits

B9 Aerospace - Blowfish Update

B9 Procedural Wings - Crzyndm Update

BD Armory

BD Armory - Hydra 70 Resupply Box

BD Dynamics

BD MK22 Cockpit - BDAc Team

Camera Tools - BDAc Team

Cormorant Aeronology

CX Station Parts

Docking Fuel Pump

Docking Port Alignment Indicator

Easy Vessel Switch

EVA Followers - ThirdOfSeven Patch

Firespitter

Flag Rotate

Hanger Extender - Alewx Patch

Heat Control

Horizontal Landing Aid

HullBreach

HullCam VDS Continued

HyperEdit

Infernal Robotics - Ziw Update

Infernal Robotics Rework - Ziw Repack

KerbCam - Cartman Update

Kerbal Aircraft Expansion

Kerbal Attachment System - Igor Update

KAS 1.0 Beta - Igor

Kerbal Fireworks

Kerbal Inventory System - Igor Update

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

KrakenScience

K.R.X Rotor Expantion

KSPWheel

Kustom Kerbals

KW Rocketry Redux

Lack Luster Labs Continued

Lack's Stock Extension Continued

Landing Height

Large Boat Parts

Malfunc Weaponry

Near Future (Solar)

OPT Spaceplane

Planetary Domes

MechJeb

Pilot Assistant

Portrait Stats

Procedural Fairings

Procedural Parts

Procedural Probes

Quantum Struts Continued

QuickHide

Raster Prop Monitor

ScanSat

ScanSat Calypso Scanner

SDHI Strobe-o-Matic

Shuttle Payload Technologies

SM Armory

SM Marine

SpaceX ITS

SSTU

Take Command

Tarsier Space Technology

Throttle Controlled Avionics

Toolbar Continued

Trajectories

Tweakable Everything

Tweakscale

Vessel Mover Continued

Vessel Viewer Continued

Vertical Velocity Control

Waypoint Manager

Incase you see a part in one of my Youtube videos that's not listed here. These are just the mods I use that are compatible with 1.0.x that I have not updated for myself

Visual Mods

8K Mun Texture - Modified to work with Texture Replacer

8K Planet Textures - Modified to work with Texture Replacer

Cool Rockets

Distant Object Enhancement

EVE - Waz Update

Hot Rockets

Kopernicus - Jool Rings (cfg settings and .png from KSPRC)

Planetshine

Rareden's Real 8k Skybox

Reentry Particle Effect

Scart91 Texture Pack

Scatterer

Smoke Screen

Texture Replacer - RangeMachine Update

WindowShine

Moding Tools

Blender

Blender .MU Importer

DDS Converter

Exception Detector

GC Memory Monitor

Node Helper - LGG Update

Notepad++

Unity

Unity Asset Explorer

1.0.5 Mod List

Spoiler

I run a 64bit community workaround of 1.0.5 on Windows 10

-------Devs will not support x64--------

64Bit Hack

64Bit Unfixer

-------Devs will not support x64--------

Activate When Shielded

Aerokerbin Modified IVA's

AirPark for Boats (1.1.3)

ALCOR Capsule

A.S.E.T. ERS Rover

A.S.E.T. Landing Legs

B9 Aerospace

B9 Aerospace - Maintenance Port

B9 Aerospace - Procedural Parts

B9 Procedural Parts - "Crzyrndm" Fork

B9 Aerospace - MK2 Test Parts

BD Armory

BD Armory - Hydra 70 Resupply Box

BD Dynamics

BD FPS

BD MK22 Cockpit

Blizzy's Toolbar

Camera Tools

Chaka Monkey

Compatibility Popup Blocker

Docking Port Alignment Indicator

Endurance From Interstellar

EVA Fallowers - Patched

Fantom Works

Firespitter

Flag Rotate

Habitat Pack

Hanger Extender

Heat Control

Heat Management

Horizontal Landing Aid

Hullcam VDS

Infernal Robotics

Infernal Robotics Rework

IR Rework Bearings

IR Rework Half Extendatrons

IR Rework Mecanums

KerbCam

Kerbal Aircraft Expansion

Kerbal Attachment System

Kerbal Fireworks

Kerbal Foundries

Kerbal Inventory System

Kethane

Kerbol Battle Pack

K.R.X Rotor Expantion

KW Rocketry

Lack Luster Labs

Lack's Stock Extension

Landing Height

Large Boat Parts

MechJeb

Pilot Assistant

Portrait Stats

Procedural Fairings

Procedural Parts

Procedural Probes

Pro Props

Quantum Struts Continued

Quick Hide

Raster Prop Monitor

Red vs Blue

RKE Kanadarm

ScanSat

ScanSat Calypso Scanner

SDHI Strobe-o-Matic

Spanners's Boomstick Continued

SSR Microsat

Stock Clamshell Fairings

Stock Bug Fix Modules

Stryker's Aerospace Weapons

Take Command

Tarsier Space Technology

Throttle Controlled Avionics

Trajectories

Tweakscale

Vanguard Technologies

Vessel Mover

Vessel Viewer

Vertical Velocity Control

Waypoint Manager

Incase you see a part in one of my Youtube videos that's not listed here. These are just the mods I use that are compatible with 1.0.x that I have not updated for myself

Visual Mods

8K Mun Texture - Modified to work with Texture Replacer

8K Planet Textures - Modified to work with Texture Replacer

Astronomer's Visual Pack v2 - Modified to work with 1.0.x

Better Emissives

Cool Rockets

Draggable Menu

EVE Reboot

GEM FX - This is intended for advanced users

Hot Rockets

Kerbal Animation Suite

Kopernicus - Jool Rings (cfg settings and .png from KSPRC)

Planetshine

Rareden's Real 8k Skybox

Scart91 Texture Pack

Scatterer

Smoke Screen

Texture Replacer

WindowShine

Moding Tools

Blender

Blender .MU Importer

DDS Converter

Exception Detector

GC Memory Monitor

Node Helper

Notepad++

Unity

Unity Asset Explorer

Outdated But Noteworthy

A.S.E.T. Portable Rover Components

A.S.E.T. Stack Inline Lights

Bavarian Aerospace

BD Drills & Parts

BD Constellation Essentials

Burn Together

Laztek

Lionhead Aerospace

Nebula Decals

RollKage

SpaceTug

Spanner's Boomstick - Original

Spanner's Useful Parts

Transparent Command Pods

How To Hit 60-100 FPS

Spoiler

My system specs

KSP 1.3 x64

Windows 10 Pro

MSI Gaming 5 Mother Board

Intel i7 4790K 4.4 GHZ

PNY Geforce GTX 970 4 GB

G-Skill Trident X DDR3 PC 1866 Ram 16GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD SATA Drive

With all my mods installed, running at 11GB of ram usage and 60-100FPS - This depends greatly on part count of the ships you are flying, or ships you are near

OpenGL, DirectX and Popupwindow

Windows 10 does not run KSP using DirectX9 properly. This causes a performance drop as well as adverse effects when using Scatterer. To correct this issue I run KSP in DirectX9 by adding " -dx9" to the end of my shortcut target field. This is not the best memory friendly option. But if you are running x64 and you have the available memory, this will run the game the smoothest.

KSP doesn't like fast switching (Alt-Tab). To make it fast switch smoothly as well as gain a minor FPS boost. " -popupwindow" allows you to run in borderless windowed mode. You'll need to turn off "full Screen Mode" in game. Also be sure to set your screen resolution to your monitor / TV's native resolution, or the window won't fit. This may not be the best solution for everyone as the native resolution may be higher then you can run KSP at smoothly. To run in Borderless windowed mode add " -popupwindow" to the end of your shortcut target field.

A trick that often helps computers with good dedicated graphics cards (sometimes onboard graphics) but not so great processors, is OpenGL. This does present issues with some visual mods if you want to run Scatterer, Do not run OpenGL. OpenGL allows you to transfer more of the work load from your processor to the video card. Be aware that this is affected by the amount of dedicated memory and the speed of your graphics card. Mods will affect this limit. To run in OpenGL mode add " -forceopengl" to the end of the shortcut target field. You can edit your KSP shortcut target field by right clicking the KSP shortcut and you will see "Target Field" listed on the top of the open window.

Now Popupwindow, OpenGL or forcing a specific version of DirectX can run together. You just can't run OpenGL alongside DirectX. It's one or the other. Just don't forget the spaces, your target field should look like this (KSP.exe -popupwindow -forceopengl)

Lastly I do not use it but many people have had good luck forcing DirectX11, to bring down there memory footprint. KSP Natively runs using DirectX 9 which is more universally accepted by everyone's hardware. But if you want to give this a try place " -force-d3d11" in the shortcut target field in place of OpenGL.

KSP Settings

Max physics delta time per frame: 0.03 - This helps to smooth game play a ton

Max Persistant debris: 25 - This helps if you are lagging while in debris fields

Terrain detail: High

SM3 Terrain Shaders: Enabled

Scatter Density 100%

Render Quality: Fantastic

Texture Quality: Full Res

Fallback Parts Shader: True

Aerodynamic FX Quality: Normal

Edge Highlighting (PPFX): Enabled

Surface FX: Enabled

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 - Set to native resolution of your monitor / TV

Full Screen: Disabled - Disable if you're using -popupwindow

Anti Aliasing: x2

V-sync: Don't Sync - This is the biggest performance hog out of everything

Frame Limit: 180FPS

Pixel Light Count: 8

Shadow Cascade: 4

Windows Page File Settings

You can Adjust the size of your "virtual memory" in windows. Sometimes this helps

Win 7 Page File Adjustment

Win 10 Page File Adjustments

(Very old) 64bit - AVP - EVE Help - KSP 1.0.5

Spoiler

64 Bit Windows - KSP 1.0.5

If you want to run enough part / visual mods to clog the kitchen sink, and you have at least 8GB of RAM and a 64bit system (majority are). 64 bit mode will allow you to surpass your 4GB memory limit imposed by a standard 32 bit install of KSP. Now when you convert to 64 bit, Do not inundate the mod Devs with bug reports from your 64 bit install. Keep a 32 bit install around to test mod issues before submitting a bug report. I have yet to truly find a bug that was not repeatable in 32 bit with a properly updated mod list. There is a reason Squad held back a 64 bit release this time around, and that's because bug tracking was a nightmare. As far as stability, I can play for hours without any issues. But when I start building 250+ part ships and bouncing in and out of the VAB and flight. It will crash eventually, but so will 32 bit under the same circumstances. 1.0.x x64 is far more stable than .90 x64 ever was. If you want a kitchen sink mentality with mods, as well as not compress your textures to the resolution of a postage stamp. This is by far the best solution.

Now that that's out of the way. Linked bellow is a walkthrough on how to convert to 64 bit. As well as a mod utility that will remove the 64 bit block from mods like FAR (warning I haven't used Unfixer as the mods I use don't require it)

64Bit Hack

64Bit Unfixer

Environmental Visual Enhancement 7-4 - Old

I've been getting a ton of questions about how to get EVE running on 1.0.x. Plain and simple x64 Windows runs with no modifications. In 32 bit I only converted the three images under Boulderco/Clouds/Particles to .dds And it ran just fine. Integrated graphics are having a really hard time running EVE. This is due to the fact that KSP is a CPU hog already. And when you want your CPU doing double duty running the game and better visuals. At some point it just can't keep up. So far from what I have seen, anything bellow intel HD 4400 won't cut it.

Also if you are running a large amount of mods already you may be hitting the 4GB ceiling. Hence the 64 bit fix above. You can also try increasing the size of your page file to allot more virtual ram as that may be another barrier you are encountering.

First try installing some kind of memory monitor to see just how much RAM and virtual ram you are in fact using. If you are hovering around 3.5 - 3.7GB on a 32 bit install a crash is immanent.

GC Memory Monitor

You can also try increasing the size of your page file

Win 7 Page File Adjustment

If you are bellow the memory limit and you have integrated graphics intel HD 4400 (preferably a dedicated graphics card) or better, and are still having issues. Then message me and I will do my best to help you out as well as further revise this help file.

Astronomers Visual Pack Interstellar v2 - KSP 1.0.5

AVP takes a little (but not a ton) of tweaking.

The core mod works with EVE 7-4. I converted the three images under Boulderco/Clouds/Particles to .dds as well as the aurora .pngs to .dds and it loaded in 32 bit.

To get the lens flares working in 1.0.x you will need to extract the sun_flare.tex files one at a time from there old .25 asset files and place them in the new 1.0.x asset files one at a time from the KSP_Data folder using Unity asset explorer.

DDS Converter

Back up your original asset file first!

Unity Asset Explorer

Using Unity asset explorer 1.3 or newer

First open "sharedassets10.assets" from the astronomers visual "jj Abrams" Lens flare. Right click "sun_flare.tex"

click "extract" this is the file you will need.

Rename Folder created by unity asset explorer from "sharedassets10" to "sharedassets9"

(folder will be automatically created in the same directory as the asset explorer .exe file)

Now back up and open "sharedassets9.assets" from your ksp_data Directory. In Asset Explorer Right click "Sun_flare.tex" and click 'Import"

(It will Import from the folder you already created and renamed)

Save the changes and place the newly created "sharedassets9.assets" into your ksp_data Directory and, boom KSP has now been modified with the new lens flare.

The same process can be used for the AVP main menu logo from interstellar V1. Repeat the above process with "sharredasset2.assets" and the file you are looking for is "logoFullRed_alt.tex"

Edited by V8jester
Added 1.3 resources

• 1 month later...

V-22 Osprey Download 1.0.2

Ok, a couple people asked for it, so here is a reworked craft file of the Osprey for 1.0.2

This is a trimmed down version, compared to the one that will be featured in the next video (stay tuned)

Updated to stabilize without RCS

Mod list

Adjustable landing gear

B9 Procedural wings WIP update

B9 WIP update

BD armory

Fantom works

Firespitter

HullCamVDS

Infernal Robotics

IR Rework

KAX

Tweakscale

Custom reworked Firespitter helicopter rotor - Download below

v3 Craft Download 1.0.2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8xWfykJ5pY_QzBzX05SQWJ0ck0/view?usp=sharing

Custom FS Rotor - Snjo and Keptin approved

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8xWfykJ5pY_ckF2Wm9BUHZKZVk/view?usp=sharing

Pictures

http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/v8jester1/slideshow/Osprey

Instructions

!!!!!You must use my reworked FS rotor and tweak rotor max RPM to max in flight or it wont take off!!!!!

Add the Tweakscale "Free scale" module below to BD Armory minigun as well as BD ABL laser if you want the proper proportions on the craft

MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}

SAS must be turned on

With max rotor RPM Set The Osprey will take off with a little under 3/4 throttle - Full throttle will slowly flip on takeoff

All action groups can be previewed by pressing "o"

Rotor nacelles do not have limits assigned to them due to me not figuring out the new symmetry rules with IR

Hover is assigned to an action group but it really doesn't work - (if you can fix it then awesome)

Go easy on the transition from VTOL to plane mode. You need the aerodynamic forces to stabilize forward flight

Belly mounted turret is linked to a HullCam camera. Press "+-" to activate cam press "9" to select minigun or laser

Use JKIL to pan and tilt camera and turret in tandem.

Part count 200

For those with modeling abilities. I'm looking for someone to make an osprey rotor.

screenshot15_zpsq0faliud.png~original

Edited by V8jester

• 2 weeks later...

Interested in some feedback here. I have yet to do a tutorial video as I do not own a headset and I'm trying not to act like a know it all (Anti Facebook mentality, what can I say) But if there is enough interest in what I have posted, I'm willing to try and sort that out to help those that are interested. My question to you guys is. If I where to start doing tutorials. What specifically are you interested in learning? Infernal Robotics gun turrets, aircraft, shuttles, part clipping (something I can't even think of right now)? And specifics help me to better tailor a video that pertains to what it is people struggle with and need a hand with. Not trying to say I know everything here, just offering help to those interested.

Feel free to post here or on my Youtube page

• 2 weeks later...
Won't 64-bit KSP be a bit more unstable? Not only that, but several mods downright disable themselves if you are running in 64-bit mode.

All the mods in my mod list run just fine in 64 bit mode. I believe Far won't run, but I don't use it. And as far as stability. I can play for hours with no crashes. What causes a crash in 64 bit and 32 bit for that matter is excessively high part counts like 250+ parts. And bouncing in and out of the VAB. Honestly it is extremely stable. Try it out and see. Just creat a back up of your existing game and go through the steps to create a 64bit install. I wasn't disappointed and I'm sure you won't be. Just keep a 32bit install around for mod issue reporting, so you can try things there before reporting an issue. A lot of modders are very anti 64bit so don't be surprised when they don't respond well to issues with 64bit installs.

And if you really want to annoy those 64 bit hatters ;)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113069-KSP-x64-Total-Unfixer

Edited by V8jester

Yo dude, what was the process you went through to install the Interstellar pack on 1.0.2? Glad to see another compulsive modder like myself. (Though I don't run half as many parts mods...)

Yo dude, what was the process you went through to install the Interstellar pack on 1.0.2? Glad to see another compulsive modder like myself. (Though I don't run half as many parts mods...)

Well, I installed EVE and AVP together. I only needed to convert the three textures under clouds/particles to dds. And it ran jus fine. Try that and if you still have issues. Try removing those three to see if it even runs without those three and let me know.

I actually use FAR, so 64 bit is a no-go for me.

Did you see my post on the last page with a fix to remove the x64 check? It will remove that block and allow you to use those mods. Like I said I have not used it as all my mods work on 64bit already.

• 4 weeks later...

Really like your designs. Do you use FAR?

I've been experimenting with high altitude flight and stability. With FAR, It's not surprisingly difficult to make a plane fly at say 30km without needing RCS. Let alone carrying one of those full orange containers up that high.

Really like your designs. Do you use FAR?

I've been experimenting with high altitude flight and stability. With FAR, It's not surprisingly difficult to make a plane fly at say 30km without needing RCS. Let alone carrying one of those full orange containers up that high.

Hey thanks man :) and actually I don't use FAR. I just got used to the standard aero and just stuck with it. It can cause some issues at times but by clipping wings into the fuselage you can move / aim the COL fairly easily enough. I've been wanting to start making tutorials but I'm worried about coming across as a know it all. Also don't have a headset so I'm stuck anyway. And actually in your opinion if I ever do a tutorial what do you think would be most helpful to people? IR, VTOL design visual stuff like Scatterer and AVP?

Oh and none of my current tilt rotors need rcs to stabilize. The do however use quite a bit of SAS to stabilize. That was such a long process to get them balanced just right.

Edited by V8jester

Hey Jester. I was watching your video for the V280 Valor, and I noticed that the missile bay you deployed also moved the missile racks out at the same time. How do you program it to go a certain distance like that?

Hey Jester. I was watching your video for the V280 Valor, and I noticed that the missile bay you deployed also moved the missile racks out at the same time. How do you program it to go a certain distance like that?

The missles are attached to the end of a piston and a hinge. The limits are assigned through the IR editor window accessed through the IR button in the VAB / SPH in the lower righthand corner if the screen. If you look on the main IR release thread there is a video showing you how to use things like the editor window. If you still have questions though feel free to ask.

Now the timing was just assigning two action groups. One to deploy and the other to retract. So set one action group to toggle the bomb bay, as well as either extend the IR parts or advance to the next preset. And a second action group to toggle the bay again, as well as retract the IR components or return to a previous preset location.

edit:

So in this overview you can see how to setup limits and presets, but if you are still lost like I said just ask

Edited by V8jester

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! I knew about the presets, but not how to set them up. Thank you very much!

Hey no problem. That's what we're all here for.

Edited by V8jester

Another question for you: How do you balance your VTOLS? Whenever I make one, as fuel drains the COM shifts from the heavier parts over fuel.

Get as much fuel to the center of your craft and use the fuel lines to drain it from that central spot. Also another trick I use is make the VTOL heavier by using fuel and oxidizer tanks. You'll need more power taking this route, that way the overall weight doesn't change as much. If you are transitioning from vertical to horizontal flight use the aerodynamics of the plane to fight the A-symmetrical thrust (if this is even an issue in your design. And lastly use a fair amount of SAS. VTOL's are inherently unstable, so they do need a bit of help.

edit

If you use the tweakable menu in the VAB you can adjust the amount of fuel in a tank. Use this and the COM indicator to see how much you COM will change as fuel is drained. Depending on the design of the craft. It will tolerate a slight amount of change front to back - Exploit SAS with this one, it takes a lot of SAS but you can compensate for quite a bit of A-symetrical thrust on a VTOL.

Edited by V8jester

Alrighty. So I tried what you suggested and pretty much ironed out the stability issues except for one thing: randomly wanting to flip backwards. occasionally when I go into a hover, the aircraft wants to flip backwards, and even with SAS force and manual control, still flips over slowly. CoT and CoM are aligned in the SPH, and the CoM moves up and forwards ever so slightly with empty tanks. Any ideas?

Alrighty. So I tried what you suggested and pretty much ironed out the stability issues except for one thing: randomly wanting to flip backwards. occasionally when I go into a hover, the aircraft wants to flip backwards, and even with SAS force and manual control, still flips over slowly. CoT and CoM are aligned in the SPH, and the CoM moves up and forwards ever so slightly with empty tanks. Any ideas?

Sounds like you are on the right track. So my Osprey does the exact same thing. My COM is slightly ahead of the COT but the aerodynamics of the craft are such that the tail acts like a lever and tries to cause a backflip when hover / climbing. So what I did was set the weight farther forward so the SAS is fighting against a nose down scenario. So the quark of the plane wanting to fall backward is actually helping to stabilize itself. Hopefully that makes sense. I really need to get a headset so I can make tutorials to actually show how to do this stuff.

For those that have found this thread. And those interested.

Darren9 and myself have been working on an EVA weapons pack to compliment BD Armory. This is VERY much a WIP. But if you want to tinker with it and give us some feedback. It is dependent on BD Armory Spanners Boomstick and KIS. All the weapons and ammo backpacks will show up in you EVA items folder created by KIS

Known issues

Only male Kerbals can hold the guns - Attachment rules have changed since the last update of KIS - working on a fix

Dropping the howitzer when moving

Ammo back pack required - removes mass from the held weapon by not adding ammo to the gun itself, which would cause your Kerbal to rotate uncontrollably

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8xWfykJ5pY_UXRJVzVyZE5JQnc/view?usp=sharing

screenshot0_zpsqwoozpzg.png~original

Edited by V8jester

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.