Advanced Aircraft, Building Techniques And Help

V8jester

Great thread, V8jester!

Lately, I've been exclusively building replicas. I think there's no greater lesson in effective building than trying to perfectly recreate the shapes and proportions of real aircraft. Every build has taught me something new and my "bag of tricks" continues to grow.

Here are some of my recent builds.

http://imgur.com/a/GtDJd

I absolutely love your crafts. I'm really bad at making crafts, and I was wonder if you can please let me try them out. It would be amazing if you did.

I absolutely love your crafts. I'm really bad at making crafts, and I was wonder if you can please let me try them out. It would be amazing if you did.

Thanks! They're not all uploaded on KerbalX yet. Are there any specific planes you'd like to try out?

Thanks! They're not all uploaded on KerbalX yet. Are there any specific planes you'd like to try out?

Yea that B-27 and the U-2 really catch my eye. Thanks for the wonderful crafts.

So I got your kb-17 and Tweakscale didn't work for some of the parts. The KAX cockpit and the three other base game cockpits were large. I dont know if you got a config for those or what, but those seem to not work

Edited by Aroc532

Because I couldn't leave well enough alone.

Spaceship 2

Photos

http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/v8...paceship%20Two

Video

Mods

Adjustable Landing Gear

B9 Aerospace

B9 Procedural Wings

Chaka Monkey

Infernal Robotics

IR Rework

KW Rocketry

Mechjeb

Procedural Parts

Space Shuttle Main Engines

Tweakscale

Quantum Struts Continued

White knight 1 and 2 are extreme high altitude drop planes. So to make them fly high I needed high altitude engines. But RAPIER engines don't look scale enough. So I clipped them inside B9 Turbo Fans using Tweakscale a Structural Mount and the Offset Tool. This way when flying at extremely high altitudes the plane will maintain speed and controllability in thin air using 8 engines 4 of which switchable to rocket mode. I also clipped large B9 air scoops into the top of the side fuselages to add to the shape as well as supply a tremendous amount of air. The other hurdle to overcome was flex. With such a large wingspan it would flex like crazy. So I used about 12 of the invisible struts from B9 as to not mess with the ships aesthetics.

Very nice! Could you tell me where did you find those cockpit? Is it B9 or Chaka Monkey?

Yea that B-27 and the U-2 really catch my eye. Thanks for the wonderful crafts.

So I got your kb-17 and Tweakscale didn't work for some of the parts. The KAX cockpit and the three other base game cockpits were large. I dont know if you got a config for those or what, but those seem to not work

Huh, and are you not able to to manually tweak them to the right size?

• 1 month later...

Something I discovered last night with decreased frame rates after switching to windows 10. Is that windows 10 tries to run KSP using directX 12. This causes decreased frame rates as well as advers effects with scatterer. But by forcing directX 9 you can correct this issue. Just add " -dx9" to the end of your shortcut target field and boom it's back to its windows 7 performance level.

Pretty much mastered rotor dynamics and flight control (rotor articulation) on an "OMG" scale with the Mil V-12 project.

http://i.imgur.com/aMGkFpI.jpg

It's awesomely stable with none of the wobbling associated with my previous rotorcraft projects. Possibly because I used not one but two airliner wings to support the driveshafts.

Craft thread

Also, circular wings. Could double the wing area of your wing design while retaining the same wingspan, if you're insane enough!

http://i.imgur.com/TQpGHWE.jpg

Craft thread

I keep seeing ships with the names printed on them. Is that a mod or just clever use of custom flags

• 2 weeks later...

Built Dextre and a new shuttle with a Canadarm as well as the Canadram extension arm to inspect the underside of the shuttle. Everything can be re stowed in the shuttle and landed. Or you can place Dextre on an orbiting station.

I added Tweakscale to the RKE Kanadarm mod to build dextre.

Here is a MM Patch to add Tweakscale to all the Kanadarm parts, As well as increase the mass of the Lee and PDGF to make them a little less wobbly.

//RKE Kanadarm Tweakscale Patch

@PART[rkekarm075]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekarm100]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekarm200]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekarm400]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekarm600]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekelbow]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkeklee]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkeklee]
{
@mass = .05
}

@PART[rkekpdgf]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekpdgf]
{
@mass = .05
}

@PART[rkekrotor]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekrotor2]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[rkekspacer]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

screenshot1_zpszkmxzqja.png~original

screenshot2_zpsxx20fbch.png~original

Edited by V8jester

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a video of an improved version of the previously posted shuttle and Dextre. Demonstrates how I have my IR controls set up for 5 individual IR devices on one ship.

Coms dish

Canadarm

Canadarm extension arm

Dextre

Extendable Docking port

Edited by V8jester

V-22 Osprey Download 1.0.2

For those with modeling abilities. I'm looking for someone to make an osprey rotor.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/v8jester1/Osprey/screenshot15_zpsq0faliud.png~original

Hello!

I was looking at your very awesome V-22 Osprey replica when you almost accidentally solved one of my oldest KSP questions with this last picture.

I have always wanted a way to actually see what action corresponds to which number of the Action Groups assigned in the VAB. Once you have 100+ different vessels all over the place it becomes extremely hard to remember all groups for each, and you cannot just press everything to see what happens (for obvious reasons... undocking and parachutes come to mind). We need this information available in flight, at all times and not only when building. It puzzles me why the devs have never implemented such an absurdly useful feature.

Anyway, your pic shows an in-game notepad or description window of sorts, showing exactly the AG info!!! Where can I get it? What's its name?

Thank you!!!!

Hello!

I was looking at your very awesome V-22 Osprey replica when you almost accidentally solved one of my oldest KSP questions with this last picture.

I have always wanted a way to actually see what action corresponds to which number of the Action Groups assigned in the VAB. Once you have 100+ different vessels all over the place it becomes extremely hard to remember all groups for each, and you cannot just press everything to see what happens (for obvious reasons... undocking and parachutes come to mind). We need this information available in flight, at all times and not only when building. It puzzles me why the devs have never implemented such an absurdly useful feature.

Anyway, your pic shows an in-game notepad or description window of sorts, showing exactly the AG info!!! Where can I get it? What's its name?

Thank you!!!!

Sure no problem. So you have two options. B9 Aerospace and Firespitter. Each has an "info drive". B9's blue info drive binds its command to "o" while Firespitter's red info drive binds to "i" You can have both on the same craft giving you 20 slots to fill. And both are craft specific, so you only have to fill them out once.

Sure no problem. So you have two options. B9 Aerospace and Firespitter. Each has an "info drive". B9's blue info drive binds its command to "o" while Firespitter's red info drive binds to "i" You can have both on the same craft giving you 20 slots to fill. And both are craft specific, so you only have to fill them out once.

I'm guessing for this particular plane the function was rebound to "Y"? Was this Firespitter or B9? (Unfortunately, B9 seems to be outdated and no longer compatible with 1.0+ versions.)

Thanks again!

I'm guessing for this particular plane the function was rebound to "Y"? Was this Firespitter or B9? (Unfortunately, B9 seems to be outdated and no longer compatible with 1.0+ versions.)

Thanks again!

You need the Maintenance port that Blowfish has been working on https://bitbucket.org/blowfishpro/b9-aerospace

And nope It was left assigned to "o" works great Also seems to work fine in 1.0.5

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, da_brodiefish said:

What mod did you use for the cockpit?

Which craft specifically? I've built a lot of planes and ships. The Osprey? That was Fantom Works. A link is under the mod list spoiler tab in the OP if you need it.

I used to use the 64bit hack in 1.0.4, and it worked great for a bit (filmed a large amount of Cooperation in it), but I ditched it in the end because almost every time I tried to change scene the game crashed. Am I just unlucky, or do you know if I'm doing something wrong, seeing as you seem to be making good use of it?

Excellent stuff by the way...made me think I need to get B9 procedural wings again :3

Edited by MrMeeb

13 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

I used to use the 64bit hack in 1.0.4, and it worked great for a bit (filmed a large amount of Cooperation in it), but I ditched it in the end because almost every time I tried to change scene the game crashed. Am I just unlucky, or do you know if I'm doing something wrong, seeing as you seem to be making good use of it?

Excellent stuff by the way...made me think I need to get B9 procedural wings again :3

Well the crashing during scene change is usually due to very large crafts like 250+ parts. I tend to build ships as close to 200 parts as possible. But I have noticed I get a lot more scene changes out of x64 in 1.0.5 though. Also if you are in Windows 10, I suggest forcing directx 9. For some wired reason win 10 tries to run KSP in dx12. Last suggestion I have is grab GC monitor. It will show you how much ram you are using. You may just be running out during scene changes. KSP still has a slight memory leak.

Edited by V8jester

31 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Well the crashing during scene change is usually due to very large crafts like 250+ parts. I tend to build ships as close to 200 parts as possible. But I have noticed I get a lot more scene changes out of x64 in 1.0.5 though. Also if you are in Windows 10, I suggest forcing directx 9. For some wired reason win 10 tries to run KSP in dx12. Last suggestion I have is grab GC monitor. It will show you how much ram you are using. You may just be running out during scene changes. KSP still has a slight memory leak.

Hmm, all those reasons make sense, but I don't think any of them are the cause...these crafts aren't over 250 parts, I'm not out of RAM (already have GC monitor), I'm not on Windows 10 so...I might have another go in 1.0.5...it's so useful to have it. Thanks though :)

38 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Hmm, all those reasons make sense, but I don't think any of them are the cause...these crafts aren't over 250 parts, I'm not out of RAM (already have GC monitor), I'm not on Windows 10 so...I might have another go in 1.0.5...it's so useful to have it. Thanks though :)

Well if you still are having issues, let me know and I'll do my best to help you track them down.

You know I've been wondering this for a long time... do you know what "Render quality" does? Not sure if I've just been blind or not, but I have noticed absolutely no difference between when it's set to fastest versus fantastic. :blush:

Edit, also I much approve of your Christmas-y signature @V8jester. ;)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.