Advanced Aircraft, Building Techniques And Help

V8jester

8 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

You know I've been wondering this for a long time... do you know what "Render quality" does? Not sure if I've just been blind or not, but I have noticed absolutely no difference between when it's set to fastest versus fantastic. :blush:

Edit, also I much approve of your Christmas-y signature @V8jester. ;)

You know, honestly I really don't know on that one.... I just set everything to max when I first loaded the game as I knew my built computer could handle it and never turned back. I want to say it may affect some of the textures with normal maps? and possibly things like your windowshine mod. But but that should be more of a texture thing not render.... I dunno I think you got me on that one :)

Thanks it really bugs me this whole thing with the whitehouse not doing Christmas this year. They lit it up with multicolored light for something else though......

3 hours ago, V8jester said:

You know, honestly I really don't know on that one.... I just set everything to max when I first loaded the game as I knew my built computer could handle it and never turned back. I want to say it may affect some of the textures with normal maps? and possibly things like your windowshine mod. But but that should be more of a texture thing not render.... I dunno I think you got me on that one :)

Thanks it really bugs me this whole thing with the whitehouse not doing Christmas this year. They lit it up with multicolored light for something else though......

American politics... What do I tell ya... Anyhow we're going into two things, both of which aren't allowed on this forum for good reasons :P.

Interesting... so I'm not the only one who has no clue what that slider effects. I'll start a question thread on that. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

American politics... What do I tell ya... Anyhow we're going into two things, both of which aren't allowed on this forum for good reasons :P.

Interesting... so I'm not the only one who has no clue what that slider effects. I'll start a question thread on that. Thank you!

Good call. So how bout those Isp levels of the firespitter heli rotors hu ;)  

18 minutes ago, Mods_o_joy said:

Damn, can you release it as a subassembly

It's actually really easy to make. 6-7 parts. Just tweak the sizes and textures of everything to your liking.

instructions using procedural parts IR and docking ports of your choosing

surface attach a structural element (tube) to the back of the pod pointing into the cargo hold

node attach a structural element (smooth cone) to the end of the first tube and a docking port or whatever you want that looks like a door.

surface attach another straight (tube) 90 degrees point up out of the cargo hold

node attach an IR extendatron to that

Node attach a straight tube to the IR extendatron with a docking port attached to that

use the offset tool to pull the extendatron down and that's really it

This was quite interesting trying to line up these pictures. I used a Tweakscaled KAS magnet for the connection, at the end of a RKE Kanadarm Tube. Mechjeb's altitude and heading control to align the two planes. And a whole lot of patients with the keyboard. The two planes only staid connected for a few seconds. So I had to dock the planes together twice to get these pictures.

I'm working on a scaled down docking port and working on my technique. I hope to have a video of all this at some point but for now it's a pretty messy ordeal.

screenshot2_zpsaysgxwkl.png~original

screenshot1_zps0byjvod3.png~original

screenshot4_zpsze6xrbvy.png~original

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

@V8jester Are you running x64 bit KSP along with -dx9, -forceopengl, and -popupwindow? Or just standard 32 bit KSP for windows?

Yup, x64 Win 10 in -dx9 with -popupwindow.DirectX 9 seems to run the best for Scatterer. But you need to have the memory for it unfortunately.

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

Yup, x64 Win 10 in -dx9 with -popupwindow.DirectX 9 seems to run the best for Scatterer. But you need to have the memory for it unfortunately.

Hm... I'm running with x64 bit windows and have my shortcut set as "file path" -forceopengl -dx9 -popupwindow - Is the -forceopengl needed or is it overridden by -dx9 or anything else? I was surprised I was able to get KSP running with a three extension shortcut :P 

3 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hm... I'm running with x64 bit windows and have my shortcut set as "file path" -forceopengl -dx9 -popupwindow - Is the -forceopengl needed or is it overridden by -dx9 or anything else? I was surprised I was able to get KSP running with a three extension shortcut :P 

Yes, so it's either / or. Not both. So just use dx9 or OpenGL. Check your log file and it will tell you how it's running.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've been trying to follow your tips on how to increase FPS when using Scatterer and mods. I'm a noob with this sort of thing, I can' figure out what "  adding " -dx9" to the end of my shortcut target field " means. What and where is this shortcut target field located?

5 minutes ago, Yukon0009 said:

Hi, I've been trying to follow your tips on how to increase FPS when using Scatterer and mods. I'm a noob with this sort of thing, I can' figure out what "  adding " -dx9" to the end of my shortcut target field " means. What and where is this shortcut target field located?

No problem, find the shortcut you use to start KSP. If you are just using the .exe file, right click it and "create shortcut"

Right click the shortcut and the window will have a white box. At the end it should look like this (....KSP.exe" -dx9) don't forget the space after the last quotation mark.

13 hours ago, Yukon0009 said:

Um I cant find it. 

F_zpsq9m9b6ra.png

Ooo, I can't read that :/

are you using steam?

edit

oh duh :P right click and select "properties" that will open the window with the white box.

Edited by V8jester

Hey @V8jester,

I'm doing some testing for 64bit. I'm trying to get the visuals up and running by following your excellent guide.Currently I'm trying to get AVP to work using the kerbalstuff version you made. I installed the latest github EVE x86-Release  without the x86 configs. I installed high res clouds, Aurora 4K with planetshine, SkytoneMapper, and Skybox.

Launching the game, one thing immediately came to notice, the clouds were not moving and didn't have volume. Further on, there were strange cloud textures sticking to the ground nearby KSC and there were no auroras. I've tried using the older version of EVE (7-4) as well as AVP Interstellar V2 on 64bit KSP but it ended up without clouds (I also tried converting them to .dds). Have you encountered it? Has it been discussed about or is it a 64bit issue?

Btw, excellent guide Jester. Your an amazing user in a now rather not-as-friendly forum (compared to a long time ago, I've been around for 3+ years), Thank You. :wink:

4 hours ago, victor tan said:

Hey @V8jester,

I'm doing some testing for 64bit. I'm trying to get the visuals up and running by following your excellent guide.Currently I'm trying to get AVP to work using the kerbalstuff version you made. I installed the latest github EVE x86-Release  without the x86 configs. I installed high res clouds, Aurora 4K with planetshine, SkytoneMapper, and Skybox.

Launching the game, one thing immediately came to notice, the clouds were not moving and didn't have volume. Further on, there were strange cloud textures sticking to the ground nearby KSC and there were no auroras. I've tried using the older version of EVE (7-4) as well as AVP Interstellar V2 on 64bit KSP but it ended up without clouds (I also tried converting them to .dds). Have you encountered it? Has it been discussed about or is it a 64bit issue?

Btw, excellent guide Jester. Your an amazing user in a now rather not-as-friendly forum (compared to a long time ago, I've been around for 3+ years), Thank You. :wink:

Thanks Victor! Well that Kerbalstuff release is actually lacking a little bit. I had been meaning to revisit it. But then Astronomer made a reappearance on the forum, So I took a step back hoping he would jump back in. The version of AVP I tossed up on KS is actually not compatible with the dev version of EVE Reboot. And all my info in the OP is becoming dated. EVE 7-4 is really the best option with the original Astronomer's version of AVP. I Do have it "working" on my computer at home with EVE Reboot and AVP but the city lights are all messed up and The clouds lack that volume. Rbray and Blackrack have been making a lot of changes to Scatterer and EVE last couple of months. With both of them in such heavy development I just decided to wait and see for now. But if you'd like I think I have a .zip file with EVE 7-4 And AVP working quite well. I'll PM you when I get back home and send you what I have.

11 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Thanks Victor! Well that Kerbalstuff release is actually lacking a little bit. I had been meaning to revisit it. But then Astronomer made a reappearance on the forum, So I took a step back hoping he would jump back in. The version of AVP I tossed up on KS is actually not compatible with the dev version of EVE Reboot. And all my info in the OP is becoming dated. EVE 7-4 is really the best option with the original Astronomer's version of AVP. I Do have it "working" on my computer at home with EVE Reboot and AVP but the city lights are all messed up and The clouds lack that volume. Rbray and Blackrack have been making a lot of changes to Scatterer and EVE last couple of months. With both of them in such heavy development I just decided to wait and see for now. But if you'd like I think I have a .zip file with EVE 7-4 And AVP working quite well. I'll PM you when I get back home and send you what I have.

Wow, Thank you so much. I think I'll use AVP for space scenes and a separate install with volume clouds.

Currently I'm trying make scatterer work. I'm getting the border/line glitch that appears on the horizon and onscreen when you zoom in. It sucks out the immersion and has done so even before the ocean update. I have been editing my nvidia settings but they don't seem to affect much. I'll see if I can get it to work cause I love the ocean shader.

1 minute ago, victor tan said:

Wow, Thank you so much. I think I'll use AVP for space scenes and a separate install with volume clouds.

Currently I'm trying make scatterer work. I'm getting the border/line glitch that appears on the horizon and onscreen when you zoom in. It sucks out the immersion and has done so even before the ocean update. I have been editing my nvidia settings but they don't seem to affect much. I'll see if I can get it to work cause I love the ocean shader.

Well, What are your system specs and are you on Windows 10? Win 10 will actually not run KSP in DX9 properly unless you add the ( -dx9) flag in the shortcut target field. And on that note. Are you running OpenGL or DX11?

Personally I find DX9 plays the best with Scatterer and EVE, yielding the best performance. You need the memory to run it this way. But it tends to smooth everything out. 16GB is really the best amount of ram to run this game with, when heavily modded.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.