[WIP] - USI Life Support

RoverDude

I only suggested skills because they are stock, and largely useless right now aside from pilots and SAS.

Agreed. If this mod uses them, that'll be handy since there are so few uses for skills. But if not, nothing will really be missing.

Edited by JumpsterG
ugh, there not their!

I have a fix for that exploit: Kerbals with no snacks that have passed out need a non-passed out kerbal to revive/feed them to bring them back to working status.

If you want to take advantage of class system, needs to be a scientist (medic).

I second this motion. I want to have more reasons to bring scientists to the surface.

If you go with both the breaking and the needing kerbal mechanics being implemented then maybe a time frame thing something like after 30 days without supplies they start breaking things every 15 days for the next 90 days, so at 30, 45, 60, 75 and 90, then on day 90 right after they break the item they go from on strike to unconscious and require a living fed kerbal to bring them back up at which point the ransack the rescue ship for food. This would give you a bit of leeway if you make a mistake but would start punishing you harder and harder the longer you went to prevent people from abusing it. This would also make it better for people who like to pull things with roleplaying out a scenario where with TAC you could technically under feed your kerbals and still complete a mission but the moment they passed that specific mark they are dead and no need for rescue. While this made for some interesting things, in my case kicking one of my kerbals out of the airlock on the way back from Jool so that the other could survive long enough to get the science home, it still made rescue missions impossible for far flung ships since by the time you realized you weren't going to have enough food they were too far out for you to get anything to them.

I think I got off topic there so the TL;DR version is a good idea is to have them start breaking things after X days until X days have passed at which point you would need a living kerbal to come revive them.

Just finished reading through the entire thread... looks quite interesting so far! Any ballpark figure as to how much Ec/s you're considering per Kerbal?

Also, if you end up implementing the ship dismantling feature, can we get the option of setting loss of crew as the second stage consequence? Or, even better: a config file that lets you set individual thresholds for each consequence. Like, default could be something along the lines of:

strike=15
scavenge=30
death=0

Where each number is the time elapsed since food ran out in Kerbal days, and 0 means disabled. That would allow for maximum flexibility for every playstyle.

Edited by Streetwind
Mobile browsing is awful

Small problem: say I send a mission to minmus and get stranded because that totally happens. I send a rescue mission, but by the time I get there the crew is on strike and refuses to get out of their capsule even though a rescue craft full of snacks is just a short walk away. So I guess that means you dont actually want the snacks?

Potential solution: if kerbals are on strike, they can still exit the capsule as long as another capsule with supplies is within physics range. If they exit the capsule in this way, they only have 10 minutes before they quit entirely, so get them to the rescue capsule quick!

I have very evil idea about interaction with mod Connected Living Space if it's installed. Should be fully optional and maybe even disabled by default.

Thing is: to make kerbals use only supplies they can access directly or through connected living space or from parts attached to living space but not further.

This could and will impact crewed ship designs dramatically - no more "slap supply container anywhere and be set" as parts accessibility should be considered or whole expedition may die from starvation while having full yearly supply next door inaccessible due to poor engineering.

CapCom: Bobfrey, the rescue ship has touched down 500 meters from your location. Make preparations for EVA and place all systems on standby.

Bobfrey: Negative.

CC: Repeat that last?

Bobfrey: I'm not coming out.

CC: Is there a malfunction?

Bobfrey: Your mom had a malfunction.

CC: ... Is there a reason you are not leaving the capsule?

Bobfrey: I'm angry as heck and I'm not gonna take it any more. I've been stranded up here for a month and I'm not taking any more orders from you or anyone else.

CC: Mission control would like to extend a formal apology for the delay of the rescue. The KSP coordinator would like to add that he was busy with the "helicopter-made-of-Kerbals" program, and that plans to return you from Minmus' surface were the absolute second priority.

*knocking on the capsule door*

Kenmore: Bobfrey? Capcom says you won't come out.

Bobfrey: Darn right, I won't come out. Don't you know how nice it is to be stranded here?

Kenmore: It's alright Bobfrey, you can come home with me. There's a free seat in my rocket. You just have to come out.

Bobfrey: No.

Kenmore: I have extra snacks.

Bobfrey: No!

Kenmore: Come on out, you stubborn...

Bobfrey: You can't make me!

... Several minutes later

Kenmore: Capcom, he won't come out... I'm using the KLAW.

CapCom: Bobfrey, the rescue ship has touched down 500 meters from your location. Make preparations for EVA and place all systems on standby.

Bobfrey: Negative.

CC: Repeat that last?

Bobfrey: I'm not coming out.

CC: Is there a malfunction?

Bobfrey: Your mom had a malfunction.

CC: ... Is there a reason you are not leaving the capsule?

Bobfrey: I'm angry as heck and I'm not gonna take it any more. I've been stranded up here for a month and I'm not taking any more orders from you or anyone else.

CC: Mission control would like to extend a formal apology for the delay of the rescue. The KSP coordinator would like to add that he was busy with the "helicopter-made-of-Kerbals" program, and that plans to return you from Minmus' surface were the absolute second priority.

*knocking on the capsule door*

Kenmore: Bobfrey? Capcom says you won't come out.

Bobfrey: Darn right, I won't come out. Don't you know how nice it is to be stranded here?

Kenmore: It's alright Bobfrey, you can come home with me. There's a free seat in my rocket. You just have to come out.

Bobfrey: No.

Kenmore: I have extra snacks.

Bobfrey: No!

Kenmore: Come on out, you stubborn...

Bobfrey: You can't make me!

... Several minutes later

Kenmore: Capcom, he won't come out... I'm using the KLAW.

This awesome story defined it's own solution.

When a Kerbal goes on EVA, he brings 1 unit of supplies with him. He can use the action menu to add it to another capsule from EVA.

I had a thought about EC's for life support, what if we make it where Kerbals get scared should they go without power in a dark command pod for a few days, basically hiding from the shadows outside the space craft and thus unable to listen to commands until the power comes back on. That way we won't have to worry about how much Ec/s a pod is using up, just how long he's been at 0 EC.

Regarding a rescue, perhaps eva kerbals can each be given 1 supply that gets dumped into any pod they enter.

That wouldn't work, as someone could just leave and re-enter the pod and it would have 1 supply again. I would say the rescue pod would need resources sent with it.

That wouldn't work, as someone could just leave and re-enter the pod and it would have 1 supply again. I would say the rescue pod would need resources sent with it.

They'd be given the supply from the supplies aboard. So Jeb is "fed" and can last 3 days (or whatever on EVA), he leaves with 1 supply from the rescue ship, and either enters, or places it aboard (like science storage). He goes back to his craft, and one of the rescued crew hits the snacks, and wakes up… long enough to walk to new craft. Rinse, repeat.

• 11 months later...

Just starting a fresh game on ksp 1.1 downloaded MKS lite for the first time. I have also downloaded usi lifesupport  in replacement for tac life as that seems to be discontinued for now,I was wondering if the toggle death function has been added to usi life support or is that a future plan? Again great mods  :-)

Edited by Mr falcor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.