Official 1.0 MEGA Hype Thread!

kenbobo

Nothing new about trailers and ads looking 'better' than the product you get.

A hamburger can look amazing in an ad, each item artfully placed *just so*.

But that still raises the question; why not put clouds in? Squad is collaborating with other modders, so why not get the author of EVE on board? It all (still) feels extremely rushed and amateurish given that their artists are working on clouds in the cinematic but not for the actual game... Hopefully they've added it as a surprise

In respect to your hamburger analogy, if I order a hamburger with cheese from the ad and don't get cheese on my hamburger I'm demanding a product as advertised or a refund.

Because not all of us own great computers

Why not limit all craft to less than 75parts? Not all of us own great computers, amirite?

Those who are riding the bottom of the recommended specs shouldn't slow the development of the game for everyone else. The game needs to be prettier, and graphical upgrades like clouds will add to that 'finished game' polish.

Isn't that why there are settings? Your computer can't handle the clouds than you turn them off.

Having said that I can imagine trying to prioritize what to develop in a game like this. I personally would probably pick 20 different things than everyone else on here. It's impossible to please everyone, maybe the artist finished their stuff early and thought it would be cool to add to the video.

Why not limit all craft to less than 75parts? Not all of us own great computers, amirite?

Those who are riding the bottom of the recommended specs shouldn't slow the development of the game for everyone else. The game needs to be prettier, and graphical upgrades like clouds will add to that 'finished game' polish.

But still, KSP already uses up a lot of your computer. Adding clouds will just make the list of potential customers smaller...

I do like the idea of making them toggle-able though. Maybe in 1.1?

I do like the idea of making them toggle-able though. Maybe in 1.1?

completely reasonable, all games have settings. I had to disable clouds on my old PC to play IL-2.

So hopefully 1.1

Edited by r4pt0r

There have been quite a few optimisation passes over the last couple of weeks if I am to believe the devs. Even if these would not be enough to make older computers run smoothly with clouds, squad should either 1. continue to optimise, or 2. Make clouds toggleable (preferably both).

Having planets without clouds for release would be quite disappointing, particularly given all the work going into clouds that are apparently not going to be in the actual game

Edited by Yakuzi

I think folks wanting prettier pictures should pin their hopes on the Unity 5 game engine update (though it may take 6 months, new U5 features provide the best place to overhaul the look of just about everything), this update is more focused on gameplay features, than effects.

Seriously, I would much rather have features like new aero and resources than make it prettier. And my computer can way handle clouds and anything else they throw at it.

my only point was that every week in the devnotes there is talk about clouds or smoke or somethingorother, and its never for the game itself. Also 1.0 should look like a 1.0 game.

Easily adjusted for with settings.

Until they can release a stable Windows x64 build, I'm content with them not integrating many aesthetic features. However, if clouds are not included once they upgrade to Unity5 I'll be rather upset.

More accurately a memory leak is when memory is allocated for some usage, but then is not de-allocated when no longer needed. C#/mono is a garbage-collected language so that the developer doesn't have to manually de-allocate memory, but they still have to kill any reference to it (basically, gc is useless), or it will hang around in memory forever.

Since the memory is listed as 'allocated' still, it can't be used for any other purpose. Thus, you'll eventually run out of available memory (even in 64-bit systems, it would just take longer).

By far the biggest source of crashes in current KSP (0.90) is the out-of-memory crash. Getting rid of any memory leaks would greatly reduce the occurrences of such crashes (especially in a pure-stock install), which in turn would bring the total number of crashes down enormously (for my own KSP, they account for like 85%-ish of the crashes. Maybe 90%?).

Of course, if it turns out that Unity is causing a significant percentage of the leaks, the effect of Squad's fixups will have that as a ceiling. Given that, and that there are simple workarounds for avoiding the memory crashes, I'd rank the memory leak fixes as below many of the other features. SOI is still king~!

Ah, yes. Thank you for clarifying that.

New experimential releases about an hour ago, also the build ID for the PC build made a HUGE jump, and is now almost sync'd with Linux and MacOS.

So, I guess maybe they fixed a huge bug or something? Not sure what else would create that huge a jump in the build ID. Or maybe they're just playing catchup with that one.

Edited by smjjames

New experimential releases about an hour ago, also the build ID for the PC build made a HUGE jump, and is now almost sync'd with Linux and MacOS.

So, I guess maybe they fixed a huge bug or something? Not sure what else would create that huge a jump in the build ID. Or maybe they're just playing catchup with that one.

Ahem... I'm the SteamDB watcher for 1.0. :P JK. Maybe the build ID jump was just to get it closer to Mac and Linux?

Let's keep this thread hypey, please. Discussions of the feasibility and desirability of clouds belong elsewhere.

I was very hyped until this week's DevNotes. I can't stop thinking about the ROUND8 tank. ;.;