My first save broken!

recently, while adding mods, my adios tech tree save was broken! so I call upon you smart people who do KSP things better than others!

Is there a way to move my science from one save to another? as in tech tree progress, what I've done science on, and amount of science I have left?

just asking...

I think what will be easier and probably take less time is not to try and port your tech tree progress but just the amount of science/funding you have. What I'd suggest is to give yourself a massive amount of science and funds by editing the save. Then use the game interface to re-unlock things. Then trim your science and funds back down to equal what you currently have. This way you only have to edit two lines in the save file so it's less likely to break things, or create weird unpredictable side effects. Trying to port whole sections can be messy.

1- Create a new save and just go into it

2- Quit back to the main KSP menu and tab back to your OS

3- make a backup of both your new save and the one you're trying to port things from. (just incase)

4- open both saves in a text editor (And seriously, notepad is NOT your friend, get something like Vim or Notepad++. Get vim if you're a nerd (I use vim ;) )

5- Open the persistent.sfs file in the new save and search for "Funding" you should find something like this;

SCENARIO
{
name = Funding
scene = 7, 8, 5, 6
funds = 3907131.98458641
}

Edit the value for funds and give yourself a couple million

6 - now search for "ResearchAndDevelopment" and you should find another SCENARIO that starts like this;

SCENARIO
{
name = ResearchAndDevelopment
scene = 7, 8, 5, 6
sci = 4148.016
Tech
{
id = start
~~~~loads more stuff after this~~~~

It just has a lot more data in it.

edit the value for sci and again set that to some very large number.

7- OK, now you're rich!! save that save and go back to the game, load the save and then go unlock stuff. (you will prob want to add the Research them all mod which lets you unlock all parts in a node in one go. I'm not sure about it's compatibility with 0.90 though, but try it)

Once you've researched the required nodes and unlocked parts quit back to the main menu.

8 - Re open you new save file and find those two sections again and also find them in your old save file. Copy the funds and sci values from your old save into the new one. Save and job done.

Alternate approaches, but way harder:

If you are feeling brave, you could try and copy entire SCENARIO sections from your old save into the new one. If you copied the entire ResearchAndDevelopment one I think that might include the nodes you have unlocked but I'm not sure how the game will deal with that. If you are going to attempt that, then you really need vim or at least an editor that can do line folding so it can automatically collapse whole sections down to a single line which you can then copy in one go and know you've got the whole thing include the last }

Another option might be to copy over your old save and then just nuke all the craft in it. Search for FLIGHTSTATE, leave the first part of it as it is, and remove each section that starts with VESSEL. This might be problematic as the crew roster section might reference vessels (I'm not sure, been a while since I really hacked on my save). Again, line folding in your text editor will make that easier. (In vim you just place the cursor over the first { in a section, hit escape and then type zfa} that will collapse that section to a single line. typing zo will expand it)

But I'd really recommend just doing it the first way and only editing the bare minimum you have to and let the game work out the details.

Hope that helps

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.