Anister

How modded is your KSP?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. How modded is your KSP?

• Vanilla
    • Stracciatella
    • Chocolate
    • RAM-Toaster

So, during Electronics class I got bored and started to browse released mods. Then I started to wonder, how much do other people mod?

I felt the best way to satisfy my desire for knowledge is via a thread.

But how can I read the results without to much reading?

Thats why I added a poll to this thread, with these answers:

Vanilla: Not. Not a single mod. Not one!

Stracciatella: A few basic mods like FAR or VV, mabye a part mod.

Chocolate: A whole bunch of mods, and few part mods.

RAM-Toaser: Many many mods, and many large part mods. <--- That would be me

Also, feel free to explain your answers in the comments.

The reason I like the smell of burnt RAM in the morning, I cant resist. If I see a cool mod, I instantly install it. I feel that modding is part of the fun! :sticktongue:

Edited by Anister

As modded as you can get, I'd imagine. I've deleted large parts of squad stuff, optimised the rest, optimised mods, modded mods... the problem is trying to get all the functionality I want in the game by stripping mods down to bare bones so I can cram it all in feels like creating a game :P

I prefer living on the edge of KSP's RAM limits. Currently, I'm having a really hard time getting the B9 pack to load with Astronomer's visuals and all my other mods. I think I'm spending more time installing mods than actually playing...

I don't have every mod out there, but I've got some heavy hitters installed that sort of force me into the RAM-Toaster category (just about, I guess; I think I peak at around 8GB usage, though I do have 16GB in my PC... maybe I should have voted Chocolate?)...

DarDUgr.png

I run Astronomer's Interstellar pack for EVE, and I've got 4K skybox and 8K planet textures in Universe Replacer. I've only got a few bits and pieces installed from KAS, KW, LLL, and Near Future, though.

Oh, and for the record, the MSI folder is a bunch of parts from other mods that I've modified myself to suit my game.

I'm relatively new to KSP, so I play nearly vanilla. I add some mod to ease things : things that are tiresome to do (multiple lauches, execute nodes), things I fail to do correctly (such as rendez-vous), things you couldn't do without (planing multiple missions)

So mainly KER, MechJeb, Docking indicator, AlarmClock.

Oh, and I added Chatter because is fun.

One of each? OK, no RAM-Toaster install, but I usually run three or four installs running from stock all the way to "every mod I'm interested in." One vanilla, one UI/Information mods only (so KAC/KER and the like), one that adds DRE/FAR/TAC-LS/RT2-like stuff, and then the full boat.

If I had to pick which one I play the most, either Stracciatela or Chocolate. I tend to play Stock right after a version release, Stracciatela after mods get updated, and Chocolate when I start to feel that I need more to do.

RAM-Toaster here, but OpenGL saves my bacon. 87 mods, 4.9GB GameData Folder, but after loading KSP sits on a toasty 2.7GB, and takes many hours of gameplay to rise; Crashes are very rare, maybe not even 1 per week.

My secret? 0.25. Its Memory Leak is almost non-existent compared to the Memory Waterfall in 0.90. As I play Science mode, there is very few advantages 0.90 would offer me, so I stuck with 0.25. Also, mod wise, I'm currently using the 0.90 versions of Remote Tech, Civilian Population, Regolith, Kerbal Konstructs, Kerbinside, Kopernicus, RCS Build aid and most of the Near Future packs.... they work fine in 0.25 :cool:

Well if we're talking multiple installs I have one that's *less* than vanilla :P, and a plain stock one, and one with basically FAR,KAC, Pilot Assistant and B9 wings. I developed my own packaging system for my installs anyway so they can change at will.

Would be interesting to poll number of mods vs time played...

I'm currently playing a game in science mod, heavily modded! I think last time I checked I had about 13 mods mostly graphical and gamplay enhancing. But on of my saves call do not click (my naming is so good XD) I download crazy mods from it.

As modded as you can get, I'd imagine. I've deleted large parts of squad stuff, optimised the rest, optimised mods, modded mods... the problem is trying to get all the functionality I want in the game by stripping mods down to bare bones so I can cram it all in feels like creating a game :P

Yup...Sounds like me...Unfortunately, sometimes I end up spending more time (days, even a couple weeks), updating and optimizing mods, than actually PLAYING KSP...In which case, after I get everything done, the last thing I want to do is having ANYTHING more to do with KSP, so I take a month or so off before coming back and actually PLAYING the updated/debugged install...lol

I usually have 3 or 4 separate installs, each based on an install focusing on "space stations/KOI", "science", "atmospheric/ground/sea operations" or "interplanetary operations", and using specific groups of mods that best fit each....

usually, my most heavily modded install can run up to 80-120 mods...I've had installs with up to 1450 unique parts in the editor...

I also have a quad-boot system, where one of the OS installs is a stripped down Win7, and the ONLY thing it used for is playing KSP... This gives me more RAM headroom for KSP, as the streamlined OS utilizes about half what a normal install does, there also is no antivirus or firewall software, which also frees up a ton of RAM...

This is all on a low-level laptop with i5-2450M, 4GB RAM and a bottom end nVidia GeForce GT 630M GPU...Oh, and I absolutely have to use a HUGE Thermaltake laptop fan underneath when running KSP...

Edited by Stone Blue

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.