[1.3.x][Part] ZOMBIE = Zombie is One More B9-Inspired Expansion v0.7.2 (2017-11-24), S2 decoupler

Konnor

This tiny part pack adds a few things that I find missing in B9 Aerospace

S2 inline Docking Port

While B9 does offer a shielded clamp-o-tron designed for S2 system, it is surface-attachable and does not play well with Connected Living Space when attached to other S2 parts. Probably not an all too critical problem, but my inline port offers a solution. Features:

rpmt2Bm.jpg

4eVT5mf.jpg

S2 Alt cockpit with crew capacity of 3

S2 has long been my favourite fuselage system, but it forces me to separate my established crews (such as the original Jeb, Bill and Bob trio); crew cabins help, but increase part count, so I'm making a cockpit with three seats in S2 shape. It somewhat resembles the planned overhauled S3 cockpit, but shorter and without tilting nose.

Planned features

• Custom internal space
  • RCS thrusters
  • Flag plate
  • Emissive texture for lights
  • Better window frame and RCS ports textures

TtPJtCN.jpg

"Family photo":

PngPwxv.jpg

Internal space

XZmQcvD.jpg

S2 engine mount

Remember the stock HL/Mk3 Shuttle-style engine mount? Well, here is an S2 counterpart: 

5HwhjDL.png

It is arranged differently though. Four attachment nodes with mirror symmetry plus a central node for launch stack/booster/fairings/another engine/whatever:

SvtV2yk.png

S2 engine mount tail

Another engine mount, extending farther backward and allowing to attach a tail fin (or a pair in V-shaped configuration):

gdopDWU.png

It comes with some tank space, two nodes with mirror symmetry for engines (and can accommodate two Vectors), plus, again, a central node:

HtJVxzd.png

S2 to MK1 (1.25m) adapter

While it is possible to chain together S2 to 2.5m and 2.5m to 1.25m adapters, this results in a noticeable hump, and increased part count. This simple S2 to 1.25m thing attempts to remedy that.

It is symmetrical, with no heat tiles on the lower side, and comes with a modest amount of volume for fuel storage.

2E8agls.jpg

S2 to MK2 adapter

cjCY6HR.jpg

Similar to MK1 adapter, but MK2!

S2 Decoupler

sg3cniT.jpg

Something for that Abort button to trigger. Also, designed to be passable if Connected Living Space is used.

MK1 crew cabin with four seats

This was not planned initially, but I always wanted a crew cabin for my small jets, and after seeing KSP v1.1 preview images I decided to roll out my own.

v9kDHa6.jpg

(redone in v0.7 because bac9 overhauled Mk1 parts in B9)

Complete with IVA; four seat capacity is not a stretch, there is even an isle between seats:

INkEz82.jpg

Requirements

This pack attempts to reuse B9 textures, so at least part of B9 is required for this to work. Textures used:

Spoiler

B9_Aerospace/Parts/Body_Mk1/body_mk1
B9_Aerospace/Parts/Body_Mk2/body_mk2_main
B9_Aerospace/Parts/Cockpit_HL/HLPod
B9_Aerospace/Parts/Cockpit_S2_Adapter/model000
B9_Aerospace/Parts/Cockpit_S2_Body_Cargo/model000
B9_Aerospace/Parts/Cockpit_S2_Body_Crew/s2ctext
B9_Aerospace/Parts/Cockpit_S2_Body/s2_body_new
B9_Aerospace/Parts/Cockpit_S3/model_cockpit_s3
B9_Aerospace/Parts/Utility_DockingPort_CDP/model001
B9_Aerospace/Spaces/HLWindows
B9_Aerospace/Spaces/model_cockpit_s2_internal

B9PartSwitch is needed for fuel switching

ModuleManager is needed to apply DRE/RF patches

Legal stuff:

Spoiler

This mod is shared under CC BY-NC-SA 3.0

Third party licenses:

Changelog:

Spoiler
  • v0.7.2 S2 decoupler
  • v0.7.1 S2 to Mk2 adapter
  • v0.7 Two S2 engine mounts, add missing Mk1 IVA, KSPv1.2 compatibility
  • v0.6.2 Modular Fuel Tanks config added
  • v0.6.1 fixed cockpit mass for real fuels, CoM offset added, 1.0.5 compatibility
  • v0.6 Mk1 crew cabin with IVA, added missing emissiveConstant for docking port
  • v0.5 Custom internal space for S2 alt cockpit
  • v0.4 S2 to MK1 adapter added, RealFuels config for S2Alt cockpit RCS thrusters, various tweaks
  • v0.3 Compatibility with KSP 1.x (and 1.x-compatible Deadly Reentry and Real Fuels), new S2Alt cockpit model
  • v0.2 RCS, B9 cameras, minor refinement of window frames, rf.cfg bugfix
  • v0.1 Initial release

Imgur albums: onetwo.

Download from https://github.com/KonnorKerman/Zombie/releases

Edited by Konnor

You, sir, are a hero.

Now my passenger SSTOs will look all snazzy and smooth.

Another useful part would be a small cargo/utility bay for mounting antennas, solar panels, or science stuff in.

Edited by Nothalogh

You, sir, are a hero.

Now my passenger SSTOs will look all snazzy and smooth.

Another useful part would be a small cargo/utility bay for mounting antennas, solar panels, or science stuff in.

Would that not be the small S2 cargo bay? Or am I not understanding what you mean? :)

Also, not to nitpick the OP, but on the docking port, which I am TOTALLY downloading BTW, the 'door' on the face of the part, where it attaches to other parts I mean, well, the door doesn't really make sense vis-a-vis how you have the docking port modeled into the top of the part. Meaning that the way the part is now, the 'door' on the face is way too high. Not that you have any control over that when re-using B9 textures, I'm just saying. Again, a minor point that I'm more than ready to overlook, seeing as how I'm going to be using the part and all. :)

Edited by Neutrinovore

Smaller than this?

WIaNtjw.jpg

As Neutrinovore pointed out, 2m cargo bay can hold quite a lot.

Meaning that the way the part is now, the 'door' on the face is way too high.

I see what you mean, but I don't think it's too high: actually, it is lower than the ceiling of the inner frame that is covered by the doors.

Here that ceiling is continued all the way through the wall (yellow-red line):

MgdmS2p.jpg

And I can raise it even more.

Oh, and thanks, folks!

Smaller than this?

Yeah, kinda, my idea is basically your docking port part with a fuel tank in the lower portion and from the hinges across just empty space to put small stuff worth keeping out of the way unless needed

So this mod is breaking the FSFuelswitch in all B9 parts

Indeed, thanks for this find.

I've traced it to an error in my rf.cfg: either remove this file (if you don't use Real Fuels) or replace the line

@PART[Cockpit_S2_Inline_Docking_Port]:FOR[RealFuels]

with

@PART[Cockpit_S2_Inline_Docking_Port]:NEEDS[RealFuels]

I'll upload a fixed version soon.

I've traced it to an error in my rf.cfg.
Not quite, the error persisted after I followed your edit, so I removed rf.cfg, that didn't help either.

So I rolled back my firespitter.dll to the one from CKAN.

Now it works.

The latest firespitter.dll from github has something wonky going on in it is all I can surmise.

Edited by Nothalogh

Smaller than this?

http://i.imgur.com/WIaNtjw.jpg

As Neutrinovore pointed out, 2m cargo bay can hold quite a lot.

I see what you mean, but I don't think it's too high: actually, it is lower than the ceiling of the inner frame that is covered by the doors.

Here that ceiling is continued all the way through the wall (yellow-red line):

http://i.imgur.com/MgdmS2p.jpg

And I can raise it even more.

Oh, and thanks, folks!

Yep, you're right, I stand corrected. :)

For some reason, in the pictures in the OP, the door looks too high. But when I actually got in game and took a look, it's fine. So, disregard my original comment, and carry on with what you were doing. :D

• 1 month later...

I know this is not an optimal time (B9 Aerospace has not been updated yet, and things I rely upon might change when it does), but I needed to do this while I have some free time.

The main issue with the S2 Alt cockpit from previous releases (aside from the fact I didn't like the way it turned out all that much) was non-gradual change of shape. So I started from scratch with that, and here is the result:

6ZInPw6.jpg

It's not perfect too, but better (curves are actually amplified here, they look nicer if you add a tail and some other parts). Besides, I've got rid of the separate windows texture, windows and RCS ports are now pulled from HL cockpit.

That, along with KSP 1.x/Deadly Reentry 7.x compatibility, marks the 0.3 update of Zombie pack.

Previous version should be removed since 1px placeholders are now DDS, and windows texture is no longer used.

Nice :)

Is there a chance for larger S2 expansion after you finish the cockpit, with parts that bac9 finds redundant, such as S2 "emergency" decoupler, Mk.2 to S2 adapter or short service bay (0,5m or 1m long, basically quarter or half lenght of current S2 cargo bay)?

S2 "emergency" decoupler, Mk.2 to S2 adapter or short service bay

I've been thinking about adapters myself (S2 to 1.25m or Mk2) so yeah, maybe I'll try that. It is a way to minimize part count, even if by mere 1 part. Can't promise, though.

Smaller cargo bays seem relatively easy to pull off without additional textures, so also possible.

As for decoupler  not sure; i'd need to find an appropriate texture in the pack; there is a 1.25m decoupler IIRC, but it will probably end up too stretched if I reuse it for S2.

• 2 months later...

Added an adapter from S2 to 1.25m (actually, quite some time ago to the repo, but only releasing it now).

COhPQ6s.jpg

S2 to Mk2 proved harder than I expected, with the lack of free time especially. But I'll keep working on that.

• 1 month later...

New release, S2 alt cockpit now has its own internal space.

Like B9 HL, it features three seats: two for pilots, one for flight engineer behind them.

Unlike B9 HL, engineer's seat is forward-facing (to better distribute G-force loads, and for the view).

It is not as spacious though, barely enough room for crew of three.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Konnor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Published a new release, https://github.com/KonnorKerman/Zombie/releases/tag/v0.6.1 (I'll update the title in a few minues)

Should work in 1.0.5, I've accounted for the changes it brought.

3 hours ago, 123nick said:

does this have modular fuel system support?

It only has support for Real Fuels, but not for Modular Fuel Tanks.

I can add MFT, shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Konnor

Just now, Konnor said:

Published a new release, https://github.com/KonnorKerman/Zombie/releases/tag/v0.6.1 (I'll update the title in a few minues)

Should work in 1.0.5, I've accounted for the changes it brought.

It only has support for Real Fuels, but not for Modular Fuel Tanks.

I can MFT, shouldn't be a problem.

Actually, there is one issue, probably a minor one: docking port doors have concave collider  that is now automatically converted to convex, filling some space outside of a visual model. Doesn't cause any actual trouble, at least for now.

• 10 months later...

I accidentally two new parts, is this dangerous?

SHHVStN.png

https://imgur.com/a/OkEIZ

Lipv0RP.png

https://imgur.com/a/37rYJ

Note: consider this a teaser. There is no new release yet, waiting for B9 to make sure everything works. However, all the stuff is on github, GameData directory from master should work with KSPv1.2 as long as all the relevant B9 textures (and configs for MFT/RF) are present.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.