[1.0.2] Moon Rocket from TinTin, Single Stage Mun Landing and Back! [0.3.0]

xxhansonmaxx

This is the Moon Rocket from one of the TinTin comics "Destination Moon".

iYLh636.jpg

It may not work and function exactly by the comic, but it's meant to be a kerbalized version of the original

The Moon Rocket can land on the moon and come back to kerbin all in one stage! Maybe even interplanetary

Download

[Moderator removed defunct website link]

Curse: http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/230384-moon-rocket-from-tintin

make sure to delete the old version before installing the newest

Changelog:

1.0.2 Compatible

Combined the wing, RCS, engine and the fuel tank into one part

Flipped some nodes

Added Launch Escape System

Added more deltaV for interplanetary missions

Added smooth models

Added engine

Made parts lighter, more deltaV

Fixed hatch ladder placement

Initial Alpha Release

Future Plans:

• IVAs
  • Launch pad effects
Edited by James Kerman
link removed

This rocket is very similar to the RS 10 from StarBorn

Dean_Ellis_01.jpg

It would require at least an advanced nuclear engine to get enough delta V and probably has to use Ammonia as a propellant.

An interesting aspect is that the landing gear could also be used for cooling, maneuvering and fuel storage.

Edited by FreeThinker

In the comic, the rocket has an efficient enough nuclear engine that instead of going into orbit they just burn straight for the moon, accelerating halfway there and then decelerating the other half. I wonder whether this could have an option for a similarly efficient engine.

In the comic, the rocket has an efficient enough nuclear engine that instead of going into orbit they just burn straight for the moon, accelerating halfway there and then decelerating the other half. I wonder whether this could have an option for a similarly efficient engine.

The comic was written in the 50's, before the Apollo program. We're talking tons of fuel and really long burn times...

Very cool! Hard to control for me, at least in part for lack of landmarks. It might be nice if it were aligned so that the hatch (if you were to add it) was where the hatch is on a capsule.

Congrate!

I'm working (sometime) on a Moon rocket too for learning blender and unity but in a different scale (66m height!).

It seems symetry x3 doesnt work very well for rcs, there are collaterals(?) movements when axis of thrusts are not on a main axis (along x;y or z) ( i have the same problem and dont know how to solve it)

For a better round shape, you can increase in blender or in unity the "smoothing angle" (default: 60) but u should define sharps edges in blender on what u need..sharp! are you using blender?

For the engine a modified rapier engine can do the job.

I'm working also on retractable ladders, maybe it can be compatible with just a modified scale. Tell me if you need. ;)

Your ladder collider for hatch is far from the door, what i've find is to set a 0.25m radius capsule collider with center translated of 0.3m(+/-0.05) on z from what you want the kerbal grab.

good job!

Edited by Skalou

INstead of the RCS near the bottom, would it be possible to have a symmetry X4 version more towards the CM? Perhaps divide the tank such that the middle section is RCS/SAS, and main tanks sections (top and bottom).

So the CM, then decoupler, then Main tank top, then SAS/RCS (quad), then main tank half bottom (includes what is now the RCS area in volume), then engine?

thanks for all the love guys!

JaffaFediration - maybe in the distant future :D

Skalou - thanks for the advice

tater - In the comic the RCS was near the engine, so I just went with that. For now u can add "place anywhere rcs ports" to the top if u want

benjee10 - holy sh** !!!!

Next update will include the engine, lighter parts, smooth models and maybe fix the wing placement

7SKN6y6.jpg

Cool. I use KJR, so I removed the struts entirely and it works fine. I also hid the fuel lines underneath a little--- would they work with cross feed, or is it a basic problem with fuel flow and "wing" parts that require the fuel lines?

Awesome! It's in my son's room someplace (the complete tin tin I bought in San Francisco a couple years ago, but I couldn't fine this book when I looked (now he's asleep)). The lighter (new) version is easier to control. One issue, the last ladder intersects the RCS, I moved it down a hair.

Right now, upon launch one fin points East… making the "top" (using the mk 1-2 pod as an example) not lined up with anything at all. I put an antenna on that side just so I knew which way to point is I wanted to have it move an expected direction for final landing.

If it were in 1:1 kerbal scale the thickest part of the tank would be what, 5m? More?

Awesome job, really.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.