Resource discussion?

lazarus1024

Maybe I've missed it, but has SQUAD said yet how resources are going to work and/or confirmed 1.0 will have them? It was mentioned early on that they'd be in 1.0, but I haven't seen much since in the weekly dev updates about resources.

Or have resources been bumped to an "after 1.0" update?

Thanks!

no 1.0 has it, we are getting "ore". you refine that into fuel presumably. I dont think ore is the best name, but it doesnt matter to me since I dont think resources make sense from a gameplay perspective.

It makes sense if u want to build a base, that can resupply a small ship to continue its journey. Or resupply a hopper for those collect data from thsi zone contracts. Mining contracts must be included i imagine.

r4pt0r - curious, why do you feel ISRU does not make gameplay sense?

the challenge is getting from kerbin to XXXXXX and back. nothing will make that easier than being able to fuel up at your destination. Also with current tech it is still impractical/ and a bit less than feasible.

But maybe I am an oddball, I am also vehemently against adding dv counters too, among other things that probably would upset people if I said them here lol.

I for one am psyched that they are adding something to do other than just land. Now we can land and gather. :D I personally like to build infrastructure in space and this give the stations some more flexibility.

I actually think the resources will be fun. Finally something to give me more courage to go beyond Duna orbit and explore without being worried about fuel.

Edited by Veeltch

I actually think the resources will be fun. Finally something to give me more courage to go beyond Duna orbit and explore without being worrying about fuel.

see for me, already knowing I can make it isn't fun. My favorite mission was my first successful manned Ike return, watching the fuel units tick down and hoping id make it. hit kerbin with less than 2 units of fuel. all that off of just winging it, no math or junk, just built a ship that looked good enough and went.

see for me, already knowing I can make it isn't fun. My favorite mission was my first successful manned Ike return, watching the fuel units tick down and hoping id make it. hit kerbin with less than 2 units of fuel. all that off of just winging it, no math or junk, just built a ship that looked good enough and went.

Ehm, nobody forces you to use ISRU... I prefer too to make missions where all the fuels come from Kerbin and not from *insertplanet* just for the sake of it, but i still think that ISRU is a BIG addition to the game and i hope that next step is Life Support.

Fully understand that. Never really used any resource mod myself. But I also think there needs to be a step forward. "Alright! We got that base standing there. Should we do some more than just drive around it with the rover? How about placing a refinery nearby, giving the rover a drill and a storage tank to go around, and gather stuff, and visit it from time to time for some extra gas?"

I also think it's kind of educational. Kids will play the game, look at resource system and wonder why isn't this a thing IRL already?

The resource gathering paired with life support in the future might be interesting.

Edited by Veeltch

I, personally, can't wait for resources... I think it would make a nice challenge to see how much you can bring back to Kerbin. I mean, isn't that what real space mining companies would do? Bring the spoils back to Earth?

The resource gathering paired with life support in the future might be interesting.

Exactly, also to make it "stock and user friendly" i would like to see some sort of self-sustainability at high tier

Was hoping there would be more than just one "resource" to mine in v1.0, unless the resource is GOLD

Would add a bit of complexity if Liquid Fuel and oxidiser were gathered and mined seperately.

Edited by Bluebird1

Was hoping there would be more than just one "resource" to mine in v1.0, unless the resource is GOLD

I love this idea! Mining gold, or platinum-group metals like Iridium and Rhodium, would be so cool! It'd be a great alternative to farming contracts, in fact. Say you're late-game and you need to save up 5 million funds to do some fun mission, like an Eve return or something. Dare I say, mining that could be more fun than doing 10 survey contracts.

I love this idea! Mining gold, or platinum-group metals like Iridium and Rhodium, would be so cool! It'd be a great alternative to farming contracts, in fact. Say you're late-game and you need to save up 5 million funds to do some fun mission, like an Eve return or something. Dare I say, mining that could be more fun than doing 10 survey contracts.

I was just about to post the same idea in Suggestion And Development subforum, but I trust there are people in the Squad HQ who consider it already. Though not with gold and platinum. "The Ore" would be enough.

Ehm, nobody forces you to use ISRU...

+1

If a person doesn't want anything to do with spaceplanes, and they just want to build rockets, they don't have to...they don't have to upgrade their runway or SPH from the first tier, they don't have to pay for the spaceplane parts in the tech tree nodes, and they certainly (even in Sandbox) don't have to use any of the spaceplane parts when they build rockets...the same applies to the resource parts, so I don't understand why people are against it. I don't like running parts mods, so I don't. Doesn't mean I don't think modders should make them.

I for one am psyched that they are adding something to do other than just land. Now we can land and gather.
But I also think there needs to be a step forward. "Alright! We got that base standing there. Should we do some more than just drive around it with the rover? How about placing a refinery nearby, giving the rover a drill and a storage tank to go around, and gather stuff, and visit it from time to time for some extra gas?"

As far as something for bases to do, Squad should really consider science over time. This would give reason to space stations and ground bases alike. It's also reminiscent of what we actually do with stations now.

I have no problem with free fuel, as long as every planet and moon isn't covered with it from head to toe. One of my criticisms with Karbonite is that it seems to be everywhere: land, air, and sea. Still love your work RoverDude! ;)

I'm a bit ambivalent about the whole thing. Needless to say I was very happy to hear that the system would be highly moddable... Also really happy they decided to stick with refining only fuel and that the resource wasn't "K"-named.

I do hope the resources are somewhat challenging though. I don't want to be able to land a small craft on a planetary body and fully refuel with only a couple low mass parts in a matter of seconds. I hope you need some actual thought/planning and infrastructure in place to make resources effective.

I have no problem with free fuel, as long as every planet and moon isn't covered with it from head to toe. One of my criticisms with Karbonite is that it seems to be everywhere: land, air, and sea. Still love your work RoverDude! ;)

No worries ;) And difficulty sliders are amazing things.

I do hope the resources are somewhat challenging though. I don't want to be able to land a small craft on a planetary body and fully refuel with only a couple low mass parts in a matter of seconds. I hope you need some actual thought/planning and infrastructure in place to make resources effective.
Why? On the scale of simply refueling a craft even in the real world the equipment is pretty small. There was a study done re: a nuclear-powered probe refueling itself from planetary ice stating that the entire refueling apparatus would come in around 750kg. Depending on the fuels you are using you could even get it as a by-product of your life support reactions.

Now, building craft on other planets is definitely a bit "out there", even for KSP, but refueling is a fairly simply proposition depending on what fuels you're using.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.