Valkyrie Project

Horizon

Even though people might have mixed feelings on the story-telling of this movie, I think the spacecrafts featured in James Cameron\'s Avatar are pretty awesome and realistic to a certain point.

The Valkyrie shuttle is a single stage to orbit space shuttle. I don\'t plan on making it overpowered though. This is my first mod so don\'t be too harsh on me ;P

The shuttle has 4 fully working tilting air breathing engines for takeoff and landing as well as 2 main engines.

You will need the MuMechLib plugin by r4mon. This mod also features a modded version of the tiltrotor and the turbine from the damned aerospace pack by damnyoujapan/r4mon. So I\'ll probably need their permission to release this mod.

Part list

• [li]Valkyrie Nose[/li]
    [li]Valkyrie Cockpit[/li]
    [li]Valkyrie Air intake[/li]
    [li]Valkyrie Cargo Bay[/li]
    [li]Valkyrie Main Engine Right/Left[/li]
    [li]Valkyrie Wing Right/Left[/li]
    [li]Valkyrie Front Engine Right/Left[/li]
    [li]Valkyrie Rear Engine Right/Left[/li]
    [li]Modded Tiltrotor[/li]

To do:

• [li]Balance the parts[/li]
    [li]Make the craft stable for vertical takeoff/landing[/li]
    [li]Improve Texturing[/li]
    [li]Fix gaps between parts (It\'s fine in the VAB but not on the launchpad for some reason)[/li]
    [li]Landing gear[/li]
    [li]Cargo bay door[/li]
    [li]Docking port[/li]

I will probably release the mod after .15 when the shuttle is stable.

Please keep in mind I am quite busy and it may take a while before some features on this list can be implemented.

If you have comments, suggestions, insults, please feel free to share them.

credits for the orginal model goes to arthur-----a,s

screenshot7.png

screenshot8.png

screenshot9.png

screenshot10.png

screenshot11.png

screenshot12.png

Would it actually be balanced for VTOL with the engines like that? It looks like it\'d just do flips.

I\'ve been playing around with the mass,drag,etc of some parts and i\'m getting closer to a balanced craft. I figured with such an engine configuration, the center of mass would have to be way back. e.g.:the parts at the front would be a lot lighter than the main engines.

Update: I can now get off the launch pad relatively smoothly. but still need some tweaking.

Shit now all we need are the Samsons, Dragon, and Scorpions and we\'d have all the RDA aircraft from Avatar.

Interesting fact; James Cameron actually hired a bunch of designers and scientist types to make sure that the tech in Avatar wasn\'t completely unrealistic. The Valkyries design, with advances in Avionics and power sources from todays tech, is a completely feasible design.

Is the cargo bay just for decoration?

At the moment yes. The part named cargo bay is simply the rear of the main body, but i\'ll try to figure out a way to make an interiror with a working door later on.

In other news: The part balancing is currently on hold, since testing a stable VTOL can be bit tricky and unreliable when launching from the launchpad (the shuttle is not designed to launch in a vertical position). but everything should go much faster when 0.15 is released.

• 2 weeks later...

I\'ve been very busy lately so i haven\'t had much time to try out 0.15 or work on the shuttle, but i\'ll try my best to get this thing out as soon as possible.

• 4 weeks later...

You have in your hands one of the most awesome things i have ever seen on this forum, i know that your busy but itd be really great if you could release it in the near future so we can all enjoy it, thx.

Hi volki, I\'m glad you like the shuttle, but unfortunately I\'ve been facing a major problem.

Basically, the wobblyness of the part is making the shuttle pretty much unflyable, and I\'m not sure how I can fix this.

I\'ve tried various configurations of the cfg files but without success.

I guess I could release it in it\'s current state but i\'m very reluctant to do so, since people wouldn\'t get much fun out of it.

If anyone has a solution to this problem, it would be much appreciated if you could share your knowledge. ;)

• 2 weeks later...