What will YOU carry over to V1.0?

Mister Dilsby

What will you carry over to your V1.0 Career save?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. What will you carry over to your V1.0 Career save?

• Nothing--Starting fresh!
    • Everything--I worked too hard to lose it!
    • Partial--Just a few favorite bits of awesome.

I'm a bit surprised by the number of people who hope/plan/expect to bring current craft files into 1.0.

If the rebalance is as comprehensive as I expect, then I would imagine that my 0.90 craft would not function the same(or at all) in 1.0.

I also anticipate that the aero overhaul will completely change the requirements for a craft which is intended to reach orbit. I expect that I would be forced to throw away all my launchers and spaceplanes even if I wanted to keep them.

Happy landings!

Nothing, if for no other reason than the part rebalance will mean that my craft won't have the delta-v and TWR that I planned for the mission.

Between aero changes, reentry heat, and part rebalance, I strongly suspect that any of my existing craft will either be incapable of performing their mission or overkill for said mission. Or even both, in a few cases.

I'm a bit surprised by the number of people who hope/plan/expect to bring current craft files into 1.0. If the rebalance is as comprehensive as I expect, then I would imagine that my 0.90 craft would not function the same(or at all) in 1.0.

Agreed. I'll likely bring my workhorse Mk1 and Mk2 planes into the new save just to see how they work/don't work, and re-optimize from those starting points--then rebuild my Mk3 ships with the new parts deck and what I learned from the Mk1/Mk2 experience.

As for rockets, the classical ones I expect to work fine but those take 5 minutes to build, and I know I'm going to want to put fairings on for appearance anyway :) Big complicated ships like my class E asteroid hauler are going to need fairings and shields at the least, and possibly a complete redesign for orbital assembly.

Anyone know, is there an option planned to be in 1.0, or at least announced possibility, to import old progress? I'd gladly keep all my stuff, but without some converter it looks impossible. They gonna change tech tree, worst thing, they might change method how parts are defined, and so on.

After over 2300 hours on the 32 bit version (documented) and a huge amount of time (undocumented) on the 64 bit version. I've decided, I may just finally get a life.

But really... I'll use nothing old (apart from myself) in the new version. That way, if it breaks on my first vanilla run through, it won't have been anything I did. After landing on the Mun and Duna, I will probably feel that making all new stuff is the way to go anyway.

As far as mods go, I've played with loads of them. But there are only a couple of what I would have considered essentials. Engineer and Docking assist. Both of which seem to add a level of realism that I like. I particularly like the experience when using EVE but while the game seems drab without it, it's not what I would consider an essential. I always rip the city lights out of it anyway. There are no cities when you get down there and few thing hurt like a shattered illusion.

Of course, before too long, I'll be a regular mod..... and will fit in as many as memory will comfortably allow. Especially EVE (hope it works with 1.0.. hope,hope,hope)

Who knows? Maybe the new environment will make it all so interesting, that I'll forget about mods for a while.

I'm a bit surprised by the number of people who hope/plan/expect to bring current craft files into 1.0.

-Snip-

While it's true that launchers and craft will not perform the same, the big deal is in two places - kerbals and infrastructure. I've been planning for isru my whole .90 save. I want the benefit of that infrastructure - it is after all just tanks. And my tugs will still tug, even if the twr and dv values change slightly. I think getting the kerbals over shouldn't be too hard, I'll have to manually add some stuff to the persistent.sfs to make them match the new format but other than that they should be alright. I'll probably lose my research history and contract history but I don't really care. I might also start mostly over, just copy the kerbals and "respec" myself an amount of funds and science equivalent to amounts spent on research and upgrades plus my current purse.

TL;DR even a partial transfer is better than none at all.

Starting clean, like I've done for every update. Its fun for me to go through career mode again from scratch, and I'm really looking forward to the inevitable redesign of my favourite rockets due to the new aero and new tech tree.

I'll probably convert some of my FAR planes to test out the stock aerodynamics. Other than that, nothing.

I'm planning to do the same thing; otherwise, all other craft goes.

Since the upgrade to .24 I decided that since each new upgrade changed some aspect of game play that I would start my games over from the beginning - both sandbox and career. I am also considering removing almost all my mods except for a few crucial (favorites).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.