[1.0.2]Stockalike TAC Containers v0.4 [04/05/2015]

Sandworm

Stockalike TAC LS Containers

Release thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/118746-1-0-2-Stockalike-TAC-LS-Containers-v0-3-2-05-15?p=1895100#post1895100

TAC has far too many parts. All the different sizes, the filters, reactors ... it really should be called Kerbal Accountancy Simulator. TAC is also the best supported LS mod. The others are great. I like IFI and I miss the original IonCross CS, but TAC is the market leader. I find myself always returning to TAC for important saves but I hate the number of parts it requires. And the models, especially hexcans, look far more Trek then Kerbal.

Over a year ago there was a great stockalike parts pack for TAC. The radial cans were retextures of the long monoprop tank and a large inline can was built from Squad's cupola model. It was lighweight and non-intrusive. But TAC and KSP have changed in the last year. So, with permission of Somnambulic, I've updated his mod to support TAC's current resource definitions. I've also added a new radial tank containing a month's worth of TAC resources (the one with "life support" written on the side).

At the moment I have FIVE parts in this pack. I intend no more. The radial tanks contain either a 90-day supply of a single resource or 30days of each for the combined can. The 2.5m inline can hold three years worth, or one year for a three-kerbal crew. All are now tweakscale compatable. So you can probably delete all the stock TAC parts. I do not want to discuss volume and part dimensions. I don't care that these parts do not comport with realworld resource volumes. The cans contain 90 or 30 days of resources because that keeps the math simple. Their mass comes from the resource definitions. While they may or may not be the wrong volume, they are properly heavy and therefore not OP imho.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I need feedback on three questions:

(1) How should these cans be labelled? I was going to make the external labels descriptive of contents (ie "H2O - 30d") but that doesn't work once they scale. Or should I keep with the colour patterns? "Life Support" is probably confusing because another mod uses that resource, so perhaps "Supplies" instead?

(2) Does anyone actually use individualized resource containers? I'm tempted to ditch them and stick with the one inline and one combined radial cannister. That, with tweakscale, really cleans up the clutter.

(3) Does anyone want smaller/larger parts without using tweakscale? Adding them is dead simple. A non-tweakscale version with 1-year and 1-week parts wouldn't take more than a few minutes. I just don't want to add to the clutter (3 sizes x 5 part types = 15 parts = an extra half-page in the editor).

Original concept and non-Squad models/textures reproduced with permission of Somnambulic.

---------------------------------------------------

Download:https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtctiuhm5e1bbwe/TAC_Stockalike_v0.4.rar

Installation: Put contents of rar in ksp gamedata directory.

Dependencies: Relies upon two stock models. So it might not work if you have deleted/moved any stock parts.

Source: Non. Not a plugin. Just parts. All is human readable.

License: All original/derivative work(s) are released subject to Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

See http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

88x31.png

While this mod does refer to and rely upon stock models/textures owned by Squad, they are not here distributed in any form.

For original version by Somnambulic see thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66479-23-Somnambulic-Aerospace-Life-Support-Parts-0-0-1-%2818-Jan%29

Changelog

Version 0.4

Changelog
0.4 - Corrected errors in rar (duplicate file names -> access errors during install)
-Moved o2/h2/food cans to slightly higher tech node.

0.3 - Update for KSP 1.0.2 (no actual changes)
-Added text to last three textures

0.2 - Update for KSP 1.0
-Flipped node on large in-line can.

0.1 - Initial release
-5 parts
-textures
-tweakscale cfg.

Edited by Sandworm

Cool! You should consider using the Firespitter Resource/texture switch to further reduce the part clutter. That + tweakscale leaves only 2 parts. I would leave the individual containers. They're useful sometimes even just for looks. I suggest you leave the resource amount out of the name. If you mimick stock TAC-LS names, you'll reduce the learning curve for players already using the mod

1) I think life support is fine, because people use one life support mod at a time, usually.

2) Yes, individualized container is for advanced planning along with recyclers. For example, you would only need more food when you have enough water and recyclers to keep it going back to the system. Cutting down the amount of water container and save space for food, or reduce payload weight would help in the long run.

3) a little more part clutter in the catalog is better than more part counts in flight.

Akron's ideas are good, FS+Tweakscale support would drastically reduce part clutter. Do note that procedural parts already has an inline life support supplies part for Tac LS. Maybe you can add some variety, such as nose cone shaped container which supports FAR or even tail fins with LS packed in.

Version 0.1 is up on dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxsleeqecb16zrh/TAC_Stockalike.rar?dl=0

I had a try at KerbalStuff but ran into issues. I'll get it working eventually.

Got busy yesterday/today and haven't been able to work on this as much as I thought I would. So no new textures atm. But the parts are all there now and are tweakable.

I thought about FS and decided against. I do want to remove clutter but things like FS, RealFuels, and procedural parts all just replace one form of clutter with another. And they create cross-mod dependency. With 1.0 only weeks away I want to keep dependencies to a minimum. A small number of parts plus the tweakscale option is best imho.

Edited by Sandworm

The parts will work without tweakscale. Other sizes are an option but I'm not sure I want to add those extra parts to everyone's editor window. I suspect that some people will be happy enough without tweakscale and will use this as an addition to TAC rather than a replacement.

• 3 weeks later...
Quick question: could I ditch all the default TAC parts when I have this pack and Universal Storage?

I did. I dug up these parts specifically to ditch all the TAC containers. I'm playing TAC with just these, plus tweekscale. I've never used universal storage for life support, but I don't see why not.

Edited by Sandworm

Is there a cfg to automatically hide/remove the default parts?

Really? Isn't it easier to just delete the TAC parts directories? At least that way you save the ram.

I'm not in favour of mods disabling other mods, even parts of other mods. That's dangerous ground and bad mojo.

Edited by Sandworm

I did. I dug up these parts specifically to ditch all the TAC containers. I'm playing TAC with just these, plus tweekscale. I've never used universal storage for life support, but I don't see why not.

Awesome! Looks like I'm finally gonna get around to play with life support. I never liked the look of the default TAC parts and I'm also not crazy about the fact that your Kerbals can't die with USI LS if you fail to resupply them (at least that's what the description says).

Edit: Just a suggestion. Maybe you wanna consider to add the version number to the file name in your dropbox link.

Edited by Honeybadga

Is there a cfg to automatically hide/remove the default parts?
Really? Isn't it easier to just delete the TAC parts directories? At least that way you save the ram.

I'm not in favour of mods disabling other mods, even parts of other mods. That's dangerous ground and bad mojo.

This should disable the stock TAC containers if and only if 'TAC_Stockalike' is installed.

@PART[Tac*Container*]:HAS[#author[*Taranis*]]:NEEDS[TAC_Stockalike]
{
@category = -1
@subcategory = 0
@TechRequired = unresearchable
}

Edited by somnambulist
Added needs statement

Version 0.3 is up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9by5mromm1cftf/TAC_Stockalike_v0.3.rar

Edit: Just a suggestion. Maybe you wanna consider to add the version number to the file name in your dropbox link.

Done.

This should disable the stock TAC containers if and only if 'TAC_Stockalike' is installed.

{
@category = -1
@subcategory = 0
}

Thanks. I don't want to disable TAC containers by default as some people probably want to keep them. But I've gotten a request to cover another life support mod might use that code to do combined release much as universal storage adapts.

Are you planning to add some stock-alike converters/recyclers?

No. TAC has lots of different converters. That road is full of debates about size/power/output numbers --> Kerbal Accountancy Simulator. My goal with this mod was to cut down on part numbers. Five is already too many. I'd stick with two but people asked for individual resource containers.

Anyway... Version 0.3 is in the OP. Textures are now "done" (see new screens in op). I've been trying to convert them to DDS but my converter (Imagemagic on linux) doesn't want to work with DDS today. I really hate Microsoft file formats. So I'm off to take some new screenshots and will probably start a release thread in the next couple hours.

Any and all feedback on textures is welcome. I'm no artist. I just added text to someone else's work.

Edited by Sandworm

A mildly interesting bug was noticed in the release thread. New rar should correct.

When I created the rar I had 'show hidden files' enabled (linux). So the rar captured temp stuff with the tild (~) prefix ... that then caused an error when unraring into a windows environment that saw files with the same names and tried to overwright them -> access denied because winrar shouldn't be deleting files. The new v0.4 rar should be clean. My bad for not inspecting the v0.3 rar. But at least we all now know what "Adgang nægtet" means in danish. :)

Version 0.4

Changelog
0.4 - Corrected errors in rar (duplicate file names -> access errors during install)
-Moved o2/h2/food cans to slightly higher tech node.

0.2 - Update for KSP 1.0
-Flipped node on large in-line can.

0.1 - Initial release
-5 parts
-textures
-tweakscale cfg.

Hello.

To answer your 2nd question - I used to use single resource containers.

Especially when using some converter or greenhouse.

With greenhouse it recycles 100% oxygen and I only need food:water 2:1, so simply slap 2 food and 1 water tank and I am happy.

ATM I am going full stock (well, only non-gamechanging mods like NavHUD, resource tab, backgroundprocessing, etc )until I decide otherwise, but once I am bored I am installing some mods and TAC will be one of the first 3.

• 3 weeks later...

{
@category = -1
@subcategory = 0
}

Thanks. I don't want to disable TAC containers by default as some people probably want to keep them. But I've gotten a request to cover another life support mod might use that code to do combined release much as universal storage adapts.

Couldn't you use the same MM magic to disable/add the other parts depending on wether or not people have Tweakscale installed?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.