Steam is updating KSP- Bye bey 64Bit

EladDv

Thanks katateochi, sadly I purchased my version from Steam, and thus do not have the option of downloading directly from the KSP site.

I guess there may be others in the same boat without backups who may not be able to recover the missing files.

In the words of Lord Hood, from the game Halo, "For what purpose, Master Chief?"

Why do this now? are there not players who depend on the 64bit to play their current saves? I'm sure that there are at least a few who wanted not update to 1.0 and to stick with .90 specifically because of the 64bit option.

Well it appears my steam installed copy is lacking 64-bit, not that I ever used it.

So, does this mean people who use Linux just for the 64-bit version got porked? I had actually been looking into installing a linux partition just for the 64 bit version.

In the words of Lord Hood, from the game Halo, "For what purpose, Master Chief?"

Why do this now? are there not players who depend on the 64bit to play their current saves? I'm sure that there are at least a few who wanted not update to 1.0 and to stick with .90 specifically because of the 64bit option.

This, very much this.

It's puzzling for everybody here.

People play out of their Steam install directory to begin with? First thing I do when there is an update is make a copy of my KSP folder to KSP-Current and play out of that. That way especially when you start adding mods, it is less messy dealing with future updates.

People play out of their Steam install directory to begin with? First thing I do when there is an update is make a copy of my KSP folder to KSP-Current and play out of that. That way especially when you start adding mods, it is less messy dealing with future updates.

I didn't even do that! I just went into my Steam directory and pinned the .exe file to my taskbar and start window. To date I have only logged 12 hours of KSP, says Steam. :sticktongue:

64 bit KSP is unstable in 0.90 [snip] But seriously, we should not mourn the loss of 64 bit. It will no doubt come back with Unity 5.

If you REALLY want 64bit you can still do the same thing that was done to make KSP 64-bit in the first place around 0.23.5. You go and download some files for 64-bit unity and replace the 32bit versions in your KSP files. I don't remember WHAT files, or where to find them, but I'm sure someone will find them soon enough.

Edited by Navy4422

I used to do that too. (well, I still do, only I use the Store version as much as possible instead, even better than Steam!)

Worked out very well. KSP is one of the few large-scale applications that support a modular install like that, with relative paths. Most of the other apps are all derpy with registry and absolute path fail.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a side effect of the win64 version being pulled from 1.0. Steam is kinda violent about forcing updates on people. Given the stupidity of the average user "lulz a computer! make it go! make us strong! lulz!", I have to say that by and large, it's probably the best thing to be pushy with updates for your typical low-brow/duh/brah gamer.

If the KSP community is harmed by that, well, to Steam that's what, a quarter of a tenth of a percent of their users? They can't let our more sophisticated needs harm the one hundred million players of "Shooting People a Slightly Different Way 7: Mythical Beast DLC".

(Really though, don't play out of the Steam install directory, that's just asking for surprise-updates)

so that's mean no 0.25 ver ???? or i did understand it wrong???

0.25 most likely isn't affected, if you have a copy laying around. Only 0.90 seems to be affected by this.

But I don't know how to actually get 0.25 legitimately. But it shouldn't be affected if you don't use Steam or have Steam auto-updating off.

So, does this mean people who use Linux just for the 64-bit version got porked?

I don't think so. The 64bit Linux version has been (more or less) stable since it was released.

Also 1.0 will (probably) be available as a 64bit version for Linux.

While I'm playing the 64bit version of KSP on Linux, I sadly cannot say anything definite about the Steam version, as I bought the game through the KSP store.

I would repeat my previous question.

Please give us a link where you explicitly stated that you would remove Win64 EXE from 0.90 via an additional patch. The "Future of KSP for Win64" article simply states that you won't release Win64 version of 1.0.

Edited by sal_vager

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.