Steam is updating KSP- Bye bey 64Bit

EladDv

You guys realize he started this game on the orbiter forums, right?

Thats all fine and dandy, but when there is an 11 page kerfuffle on HIS official game forums, I would hope that a response from him about the issue would be posted here, not on some legacy (and non-KSP) forum he's used for years, that very few people here frequnent

It should have been said here.

Edited by r4pt0r
redundancy and tone lol

Honestly? I don't see what the big deal is. 64-bit KSP was a mess on it's best days. This was known all throughout the community and the devs practically put a "use at your own risk" sign on it.

In my eyes, if you were still using an incredibly unstable version of KSP, it's your own fault for not using the better, stable, actually working version when the axe came down.

Sure, Squad probably should have said, "Heads up. 64-bit KSP is being removed. Plan accordingly." before hand, but in all honesty most people already abandoned it.

What I think we're hearing and seeing now is what I like to call "the vocal minority."

/2cents

As with most contentious issues, truth is on both sides.

On the one hand, Harv can post where ever and whenever he pleases. KSP started in Orbiter and Harv has always identified himself with those people. Furthermore, KSP is sold as is and as such Squad can do as they please without any prior warning. It is up to the consumer to unchech auto update if they do not desire the adverse consequences.

On the other hand, The KSP forums are the most "official" place for Squad. Not posting here coukd have been taken as not including a large userbase. Furthermore, the unnaounced nature could/did ruin many individuals' experiences.

I won't state my own opinion on this matter, but please bear in mind that there are good points on both sides. Please refrain from flameing, trolling, or flamebaiting.

I agree its the minority of players, and no, squad doesnt have to say anything. but as a PR company, they should know to have said something to warn players. also, it does affect at least 1 player http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115139-KSP_x64-exe-missing-Re-install-won-t-solve-it , and I am sure that there are others who still use it to circumvent the 4gb cap for their mods.

so basically what ampsterman said lol.

Edited by r4pt0r

You guys realize he started this game on the orbiter forums, right?

True. Maybe someday Squad can get around to setting up their own site to host official communications, instead of using third-party sites.

How the hell has Squad managed as a marketing firm when they seem to have the most ass-backward ideas about how to communicate with customers?

If a user is having a problem with the game, and goes looking for information, do you expect them to go to the Orbiter forum, or the actual KSP forum owned and operated by the company that makes the game to find out what's going on?

As with most contentious issues, truth is on both sides.

On the one hand, Harv can post where ever and whenever he pleases. KSP started in Orbiter and Harv has always identified himself with those people. Furthermore, KSP is sold as is and as such Squad can do as they please without any prior warning. It is up to the consumer to unchech auto update if they do not desire the adverse consequences.

I understand that SQUAD can do basically whatever they want without telling us. I also understand, however, that if they don't mention changes (especially major ones) before performing them, they can interfere with peoples' gameplay in the worst possible way, as you said later in your post.

I have never played 64-bit KSP, and I've actually been consciously trying to avoid it. But I'm still irritated. I'm not irritated because my game is broken; I'm irritated because this sort of unwarranted and unexpected update means SQUAD lacks a certain degree of civility and foresight. It would have taken maybe thirty seconds to make an official announcement about this (in the devnotes or elsewhere), and it would have been met with mostly positive feedback. Instead, it seems as if SQUAD deliberately tried to remove this option, and thus ruin many peoples' games, in complete secrecy. Which strikes me as a certain breach of trust.

Anyway, I'll leave now. I don't intend to be negative towards SQUAD; in spite of their flaws, I'm still doing my best to sympathize with them...

-Upsilon

I'm running KSP and Steam on Linux and so far I have no updates and my 64bit client is still there. I enjoy being able to run the stable 64bit version of KSP with dozens of mods and would be a huge set back if they were to completely remove the 64bit client for us Linux folks. Let's hope it stays. So far it's still there though.

I'm running KSP and Steam on Linux and so far I have no updates and my 64bit client is still there. I enjoy being able to run the stable 64bit version of KSP with dozens of mods and would be a huge set back if they were to completely remove the 64bit client for us Linux folks. Let's hope it stays. So far it's still there though.

It looks like they only got rid of win64.

I don't think they will. I've heard the Linux 64-bit build is much more stable than the Windows one.

Cool! I don't have auto update set, so I can still screw with 64 bit Windows. So many glitches!:D

Will we ever see a stable 64 bit for Windows?

Is the 32-bit version stable? Is windows itself even stable?

Try the 64bit linux version if you can. It's rock solid. In fact it's probably one of the most stable games I've ever played on any OS. The only time have issues is when I start bumping up against my physical ram limits. But that's to be expected if you are watching a movie in one window, playing KSP in another, and editing a spreadsheet in a third. (No joke. You have to do something during those long ion burns in RSS.)

Edited by Sandworm

blah blah

Will we ever see a stable 64 bit for Windows?

Maybe with Unity 5, since it's really a Unity issue.

SQUAD has said they will continue to host and distribute the Linux 64-bit, because it's actually stable. I would quote a source, but I'm too tired right now to dig through tweets and Reddit threads.

Edited by jlo96

And how would one with zero experience with Linux run it on a Windows 8 Laptop?

start up that virtual machine, son! Just google virtual machine (obviously checking on the results throughly before downloading them). There are some free ones or some very affordable paid ones. Pick up a copy of Linux off the web (there are a LOT, check them some out here). Then boot up Linux with your brand spankin new VM.

You can partition your drive if you want to keep Windows. Even I managed to do this successfully, and I'm clueless on such matters, so you won't have any problems.

using a Virtual machine is one option (Id use VirtualBox), but you always pay a performance overhead when doing that and setting up graphics drivers in VM's can be awkward sometimes (depends how the VM represents the virtual graphics card to the OS). tbh I'd fully install it on a separate partition. and go with Ubuntu, it's install process is pretty much a no-brainer, but to set up the partitions you're probably going to need to format your disk and reinstall windows (unless you have another HD to hand that you could use). If you do need to format the disk, reinstall windows first and just set the partition for windows during that process (just give it half the disk. also, don't format the empty space you plan to put ubuntu in at that point, let ubuntu do that so it formats it as ext4 rather than ntfs). Then install ubuntu afterwards and it will take care of setting up bootloaders for switching OS when you boot, windows doesn't do that so you have to manually fiddle about setting up dual boot.

I'm not sure, but ubuntu might even be able to partition the disk with windows already present, but I tend to think doing that is bad practice so I've not tried that recently.

A couple of things to note.. I am running ubuntu on my notebook..

It will resize your existing drive and install a boot loader (normally grub) to allow you to keep using your windows install.

If you are using a card with one of the optimus video cards, eg Nvidia 610M you will have to install bumblebee to allow programs to access the card.

Rocko

Running a linux game from within a VM isn't the same as running it withing a proper OS. A VM adds a level of abstraction and opens up a series of potential bugs. A VM will never be more stable than the OS on which it is running. Ubuntu inside a VM, inside windows, will always be less stable than windows because the VM is still relying upon windows. KSP might be more stable, but if your issues are related to windows and/or hardware, a VM won't help. Windows would also be less stable running in a VM running within ubuntu. And the same is true for duel-boot installs, albeit less so.

Commit to installing linux properly before coming to any judgments.

Edited by Sandworm

Well, on having a dual boot between windows 8/8.1 and a linux client, remember that windows 8 doesn't like a single bit of being on dual boot and that you have to force it to do so while it drags it self screaming that it doesn't want to :P Google a bit before doing so, because there are issues to be solved if you go that way

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.