Hubble or ISS

Voyager275

Probably the ISS. I like Hubble, but it does not create activity(new missions, launches) as much as the ISS does... Sure, there has been the epic reaction wheel replacement mission with the shuttle, but that's it... On the other hand the ISS hosts astronauts, experiments and we can see the supply launches ;) Look at Falcon9 and dragon : those wouldn't exist without the space station

Hubble will get a replacement (JWST) so in that sense I won't miss it, it's time for something new.

Hopefully a new space station will be in the works by the time of ISS re-entry.

That is no replacement. It's a new telescope with a different purpose.

That is no replacement. It's a new telescope with a different purpose.

I mean it's the new "big" space telescope, the most important one. I haven't really looked into what the differences are in their purposes.

Hubble, simply because he made the history, like the first plane of Wright brothers but in is own ambit

True. He was the one who found out that the Andromeda nebula was actually another galaxy. This also proved that the Milky Way was not the only galaxy.

True. He was the one who found out that the Andromeda nebula was actually another galaxy. This also proved that the Milky Way was not the only galaxy.

You are talking about Edwin Hubble (1889-1953), not the Hubble Space Telescope.

Hubble, simply because he made the history, like the first plane of Wright brothers but in is own ambit

Doesn't the ISS make history ? People make history. Both HST and ISS are just tools for us to use.

Gonna miss both, but ISS have no replacement... yet... But as keeping the two becomes more troublesome, maybe it's better to abandon them.

Hubble... wait, isn't there lots of glass (like the mirrors, the spectograph, the correcting lenses) ? I mean, what, rain of rupert's drop ?

For ISS... Actually I think that we should video it's demise from the inside. Would be terrifying enough and useful enough (to see the effect of unprotected reentry, and maybe how to make better reentry protection) to be seen.

I'll miss them in the sense that they'll essentially become a part of history that won't physically exist anymore. In museums you'll hear, "And this is a replica of the Hubble telescope," instead of actually getting to see the real deal.

THAT's what I'll miss about them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.