New Imgur album embeds

KasperVld

Hey everyone!

Imgur updated its method of embedding albums and we decided to update the forums to reflect this change. We're still working out how to customize certain aspects, most notably the size of the embed, but it's all looking smooth so far. Let me know if there's any problem with the albums.

Here's an example of the new embed, it works just like the old one and all existing albums will now also show up in this format.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I saw this and thought: "Who made my imgur album so ugly?"

It´s so small, the titles and descriptions are not where I want them and the white is much more disturbing than the old black. There is no "view full resolution" button any more and what I also don´t like is: When you click next at the last picture, you will get to the first! I clicked through my album two times until I noticed that!

Bring the old one back!

If you can set it to default to the width of the post on the given screen, that would probably look very nice :)

There is no "view full resolution" button

Click the actual picture instead of the next/previous buttons if you want full resolution. It'll bring you to Imgur and you'll be able to do it there.

Many people are so opposed to change, I find it hard to imagine any kind of change that would be received well, sometimes. :P

It's just a change. And to be frank, the old embeds were very inefficient performance-wise, for whatever reason. Though it's hard to tell for sure from just one, it seems like they've been at work on that.

As for the appearance, it could definitely do with being bigger, but I can't see why it ought to be black at all, and the layout is quite straightforward and very much sensible, if a little lackadaisical with regards to some of the spacing.

Give Kaspy a chance, fellas. As he said, he's still poking it with a stick. It ain't even the final form yet, give it a bit. :wink:

Old one back please!

It's hard to see the images everyone has posted!

I dislike the new one.

- - - Updated - - -

Many people are so opposed to change, I find it hard to imagine any kind of change that would be received well, sometimes. :P

It's just a change. And to be frank, the old embeds were very inefficient performance-wise, for whatever reason. Though it's hard to tell for sure from just one, it seems like they've been at work on that.

As for the appearance, it could definitely do with being bigger, but I can't see why it ought to be black at all, and the layout is quite straightforward and very much sensible, if a little lackadaisical with regards to some of the spacing.

Give Kaspy a chance, fellas. As he said, he's still poking it with a stick. It ain't even the final form yet, give it a bit. :wink:

Ok, I'll give it a shot

I'll put in my tuppence here in favour of the old style.

Most people wont click through to Imigur to view album photos, the old style at least made the pictures big enough to be visible on the forum page.

This new one is just wasting so much space at the bottom, it makes your pictures tiny and more difficult to make out detail, it might be fine for memes and other basic internet shenanigans, but when you are documenting a mission you want to be able to provide big detailed images ... that is not possible (afaik) with this new system.

If there was a way to actually make the images full screen (thread) width however I could put up with the advertising space for imigur at the bottom.

gah, what u doin' imgur? anyone else noticed that the site has been absolutely riddled with bugs this last month?

I guess the album does cycle images quicker, but I don't like that massive white border under it. oh....albums aren't going to embed ads are they? is that what that extra space is for? I hope not, but seeing as they've dropped subscription members in favour of making everyone have ads that could be in their plans. I really hope they don't change how single image embedding works.

I like that it cycles faster.

I don't like that:

- it forces me to visit imgur if I want to see the thumbnails

- it forces me to visit imgur if I want to read the full description

- it forces me to visit imgur if I misclick the "next" or "previous" border (yes, I understand that's why we have the redundant "next" and "previous" buttons under the picture)

- it forces me to visit imgur if I want to view it in full resolution (and there I have to click on the gear menu and "view in full resolution" again)

- it forces me to visit imgur if I want to download the picture

Questions:

- What's the point of embedding if I'm almost always forced to visit the slow loading imgur to get the full experience?

- Will the embedded album load correctly with the page if put inside spoiler tags?

- Will it still be this fast if the size gets fixed?

If those cons can get fixed with implementation, I'd say go for it. If not, I'd rather have the old design back.

Aside from the size issue, the text limit is too low (have to click through to imgur to read descriptions). They also don't play nicely with spoiler tags, on Firefox at least:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

^^ Gives a cut off album for me, and only the first pic works (all others are blank white images).

Going back to the old design won't work, it'll get phased out. I've already contacted imgur to see if we can get a little more customizability on the albums. It's a waiting game now :)

@RIC: I'll look into the spoiler issue, but the old albums also didn't work nicely with them.

It is a wee bit ugly... But the smaller size is appreciated, as is the clearer text. The old ones basically needed spoilers, they were so large. Unless you really wanted it up there.

Agreed. I like the framing used in the old version more, as well as the slide format, and I don't really like how the newer layout is just bland and uninteresting, but they don't take up a square kilometer and a half when posted.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.