New Imgur album embeds

KasperVld

Things like this don't happen overnight - Imgur is aware of the suggestions and it's up to them to take it from there :)

And it has been determined that the forums can't be reverted to the way they were until then? Was this update to the new albums voluntary or did the old ones stop working all of a sudden forcing you to update? If its the former I don't see why we have to put up with the mobile phone focused embeds until they are improved

If the (lack of) thumbnail problem can't be fixed, we're going to have to think carefully about how many images we put in a single album. Sure, some of this is just editing discipline, but there are cases (for example big challenges like Jool-5) where you have to post a lot of evidence for review. With thumbnails, people who just want to see the ships can look for those and not click through 300 maneuver nodes.

Is there a good place to put feedback for Imgur to see, I can't seem to find anything on Imgur itself, or will it get seen/passed along from here?

anyways my feedback:

-Albums much too small now, the ability for the album to autosize to the width of the actual forum post would be much appreciated

-album size is restricting the ability to see all the text for the descriptions

-Preview thumbnails need to be brought back, the ability to scroll through the thumbs and enlarge the ones you want to see is very beneficial especially on larger albums

Those are my main gripes, the rest is highly opinionated

-borders are to thick

-to much space devoted to things other than the image itself

-why do we need to know the number of views on an embeded album?

-overall the design is atrocious, highly inelegant, clearly targeted at the mobile community, which is fine if it wasn't showing up on my desktop, and looks like it was designed by an amateur or some less reputable image hosting site

If the added excess space is for the future addition of adds in embeded albums then I will definitely stop using Imgur

Having some trouble with click-through on some albums, sometimes goes to the "Oops, you've taken a wrong turn" imgur error page.

E.g. clicking on the main image in this one:

http://imgur.com/a/bxLmn

This is especially annoying, as you can´t read the full description. I fell having this problem all the time.

And it has been determined that the forums can't be reverted to the way they were until then? Was this update to the new albums voluntary or did the old ones stop working all of a sudden forcing you to update? If its the former I don't see why we have to put up with the mobile phone focused embeds until they are improved

I would like to point out kerbalstuff is still using the old album design still. That means these forums were voluntarily upgraded to this "new and improved" system. There is no reason for this and it should be put back until a)imgur either fixes it or B) until we get a new image host that isn't terrible.

I would like to point out kerbalstuff is still using the old album design still. That means these forums were voluntarily upgraded to this "new and improved" system. There is no reason for this and it should be put back until a)imgur either fixes it or B) until we get a new image host that isn't terrible.

The problem with going to the old design now, is that eventually it will be phased out. By then it will be too late to change the new design, or at least it will be that much more difficult. By subjecting us to it now, there is a chance that the feedback will have a positive effect while the system is still new.

The problem with going to the old design now, is that eventually it will be phased out. By then it will be too late to change the new design, or at least it will be that much more difficult. By subjecting us to it now, there is a chance that the feedback will have a positive effect while the system is still new.

What more is there to say that hasn't been said? its to small, there's no thumbnails, you have to click through to get a bigger picture or read a description longer than three words, and to make it worse click through doesn't work for half the albums this change was retroactively applied too.

Honestly what more could we find about it that we hate? This change should be reverted and the old albums used for as long as possible simply for the sake of not glitching out peoples old albums and then only changed when the old album embeds are officially phased out. In the mean time if people want to test and give feedback to the new embeds or act in a future proof fashion then they can be made available under some alternate syntax like [imgur2] or [album](since imgur is into self branding of their embeds we don't really need the bbc code to remind us where our albums come from anymore now do we?)

Many people are so opposed to change, I find it hard to imagine any kind of change that would be received well, sometimes. :P

It's just a change. And to be frank, the old embeds were very inefficient performance-wise, for whatever reason. Though it's hard to tell for sure from just one, it seems like they've been at work on that.

As for the appearance, it could definitely do with being bigger, but I can't see why it ought to be black at all, and the layout is quite straightforward and very much sensible, if a little lackadaisical with regards to some of the spacing.

Give Kaspy a chance, fellas. As he said, he's still poking it with a stick. It ain't even the final form yet, give it a bit. :wink:

I've heard this froms somewhere(maby dragonball z?) "This isn't even my final form!"

I don't know if kasper or imgur has been doing anything in the background but It appears you can get thumbnails back by adding "/embed?background=292929&text=ffffff&link=4e76c9" to the end of your

for example if you normally type

[im gur]uzl22[/im gur]

you instead do this!

[im gur]uzl22/embed?background=292929&text=ffffff&link=4e76c9[/im gur]

And bam! thumbnails are back

[imgur]uzl22/embed?background=292929&text=ffffff&link=4e76c9">Javascript is disabled. View full album

I have no idea how to make it wider still :/ ... stupid mobile phones ruining the web for everyone else...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I believe its been long enough to wait for people to get back to work after the big release. So is there any news as to when we are gonna get enough control over album customizability that we can literally or figuratively get the old "made for the computers this game runs on and not sissy smartphones" albums back?

Ok I believe its been long enough to wait for people to get back to work after the big release. So is there any news as to when we are gonna get enough control over album customizability that we can literally or figuratively get the old "made for the computers this game runs on and not sissy smartphones" albums back?

I browsed this thread an hour ago. ALbums were white, no thumbs. I come back seeing your comment and albums are black with thumbs. Ask and thou shalt receive.

I browsed this thread an hour ago. ALbums were white, no thumbs. I come back seeing your comment and albums are black with thumbs. Ask and thou shalt receive.

oh we figured out a stop gap measure to get the blackness and thumbnails back a while ago.

I don't know if kasper or imgur has been doing anything in the background but It appears you can get thumbnails back by adding "/embed?background=292929&text=ffffff&link=4e76c9" to the end of your [imgur] url when making an album.

for example if you normally type

[im gur]uzl22[/im gur]

you instead do this!

[im gur]uzl22/embed?background=292929&text=ffffff&link=4e76c9[/im gur]

And bam! thumbnails are back

http://imgur.com/a/uzl22/embed?background=292929&text=ffffff&link=4e76c9

I have no idea how to make it wider still :/ ... stupid mobile phones ruining the web for everyone else...

but as you can see its rather inconvenient and still makes albums tiny so I don't consider this an adequate substitute for an official solution

Yes. I believe we have been quite patient at this point. If Imgur is unwilling to provide a means to restore previous functionality, I guess I'll have to look for some alternative.

Happy landings!

Yes. I believe we have been quite patient at this point. If Imgur is unwilling to provide a means to restore previous functionality, I guess I'll have to look for some alternative.

I agree. Albums that are about 500px wide are ok on my phone (not really), but even on my laptop's tiny 1280x800 screen they're pretty much unviewable. (Especially since the first image is almost always thumbnail-size and there's some 100px tall banner inside the image window that won't stay closed.)

Is there a viable alternative to Imgur (that doesn't include using one's own server like I do)?

What they need to do is keep the old one as a full featured album system and then set this new lightweight one up for Mobile users. So phone people and people who use that tweetybird thing a lot can use the new small one, without losing 80% of the functionality of the imgur album system. Seems a pipe dream, though. They're featuring the image albums in their blog posts and even encouraging good descriptions on album images, even when that actually makes the concept of the album useless since you have to leave the album to read any of it.

There are certainly other image hosts out there, I first saw http://img.ie at the same time I found imgur a few years ago, but imgur was better. Its a matter of finding one with the right features.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.