Where did you buy KSP?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Where did you buy KSP?

• the KSP website
    • Steam
    • KSP website, but upgraded to Steam
    • Both KSP website AND Steam
    • Other (please specify)

With the recent discussion about KSP sales and potential Steam-based revenue by SQUAD, the marketing company (not the KSP developing sub-division), a poll on which website the forum community got their copy(ies) of KSP from may give some remote indication of the actual (i.e. incredibly dubious) number of copies of the game sold.

The poll is quite straight-forward. Please indicate whether you bought your copy of KSP on Steam or directly from the KSP website (or both). If you chose "other", please specify in this thread.

Please note that the "KSP website, but upgraded to Steam" option is for users that bought KSP from the website before March 2013 and accepted Squad's offer to irreversibly migrate their KSP account to Steam for free (refer to the Account Issues sections in the FAQ for more info).

NB: all data presented here has a high degree of uncertainty, all polls are inherently biased/questionable and accordingly, any inferences based on this information are extreme speculative and may require attire with overlong sleeves, handcrafted tin/aluminium foil headwear, or excessive jumping on mrs. Winfrey's couch (or a combination thereof).

Edited by Yakuzi
added explanation for option 3

Steam.

It was some kind of big discounts time, and I was browsing games available, and KSP pops out. I was like: "Whoa, isn't that KSP, that mentioned in science pop articles so often?". Really, a space simulator game. And affordable price. Let's try it. I didn't even knew about demo.

I set it to be downloaded before other discount games I bought, and after first ever attempt to play, I understood, that it's one of the best games I ever played. Beats even old DOS games, and it's a lot.

My initial purchase was via Steam, but once I got into mods, I found having the KSP directory system buried under the Steam directory system irritating, so I promptly bought a non-Steam copy of KSP, and it's that which I play now, I don't play KSP via Steam at all, nor do I envisage this ever changing. I've nothing against Steam, but I emphatically do not see buying the Steam version as an 'upgrade' to the non-Steam version, if anything it makes life slightly more awkward IMO, unless you have no interest in using mods.

I voted KSP website, but it's not strictly correct.

First, I bought the game from the KSP website for my son, and I was playing it at times. I decided we needed another copy, and my birthday was coming up. So my friend bought me another copy from the KSP website, and gave it to me. At that time, KSP was not on Steam.

Once 1.0 comes out, I might also buy a copy from Steam, so I can write a review.

My initial purchase was via Steam, but once I got into mods, I found having the KSP directory system buried under the Steam directory system irritating, so I promptly bought a non-Steam copy of KSP,

You can simply copy the game from the Steam library to anywhere you want.

Why does it list "upgraded to steam," as I am unsure how that "upgrades" KSP?

Squad offered players that bought the game prior to when it was available on Steam (march 2013) the opportunity to irreversibly 'upgrade' their website account to a steam account. It's mentioned in the FAQ section:

we now offer the choice to transfer KSP purchases from before the game was available on Steam, note that this process is OPTIONAL and IRREVERSIBLE

Got mine on steam (although ive played it before that via friend's account (steam has this family/friends sharing thingy, nice to try games out before buying it yourself). Anyways, it was on sale, and i thought i might as well support the devs of this game (considering its one of few modern games i actually think is even worth spending time on). I really enjoy the freedom to do whatever i want with this game (unlike the ohh so many linear games developed recently that have very little replayeability).

Anyways, while i own it on steam (and use steam for updates), ive copied the exe/files to another HDD and i play it offline and dont even boot that ram-hog of a steam. I applaud you squad for not including any stupid DRM bull****, or the somewhat popular "cd must be inserted" or "must be connected to internet" in order to play a game that DMP aside, has no need nor will it have any need for internet even being active. Great job.

I got it from the store and haven’t wanted to move to steam. I've bought a copy on steam for my cousin though and when KSP is finished (not 1.0) I'll buy it again for myself on steam, for completeness sake and because I feel I little guilty at how little I paid for it back in the day!

Mines a bit of an odd one. I bought it from the website, as I didn't like steam at the time. Everything was fine and dandy until I needed a totally fresh install because I bugged up every one I had. The store wouldn't let me download the game. I traded emails with Alex from squad and he said somehow the website was refusing my IP address or something and that there was no way I could get the game from the site anymore. So they gave me a steam key and I was forcibly converted to a steam player. Stupid technology.

KSP Website. I saw it on steam, liked the demo, and thought (seriously) "Why should I give valve a cut of the profits instead of directly supporting them"

*Of course, I think this was the start of my anti-steam phase and I was starting to move away from steam.

Store, was the only option when I bought it. Didn't migrate to Steam when it was offered as I wasn't a Steam user then. I'm considering migrating now as Steam's bandwidth is better.

As someone who bought both (part of the 4% who oppress the world! RAR!!~!), I have to say that this is the understatement of the year. That multiplay.co.uk thing that hosts the Store absolutely folds up and dies on release day, so I play the Steam version (Steam doesn't even notice release day for KSP, they shoulder the load without problem) for a day or two before getting my nice, sweet, Steam-free Store version.

(since the Store version is basically a zip file, I could re-install it ten years from now, even if both Steam and Squad went out of business...)

Rumor has it that multiplay.co.uk has upgraded from their E1 line to a 2xE1 solution, so 1.0's release should be available a whole 8 minutes sooner..on the second day.

Why is there no Steam first, but upgraded to website option? Steam isn't that great as a recent event has shown.
Other: bought on Steam, then upgraded by freeing myself with a copy from Squad directly. Interestingly the one option you don't have. Steam is a steaming pile of... Steam.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Squad offered users to optionally and irreversibly transfer/migrate/''upgrade" their KSP account to Steam when KSP became available there (please read the Account Issues section in the FAQ). As far as I know, Squad never offered to upgrade Steam accounts to the website version (specifically stated in the FAQ, please enlighten me if I've missed anything).

tg626, if you own a KSP copy on both Steam and from the website, then option 3 is your answer.

Edit: I've updated the OP to explain this in more detail

Edited by Yakuzi

Steam.

It was some kind of big discounts time, and I was browsing games available, and KSP pops out. I was like: "Whoa, isn't that KSP, that mentioned in science pop articles so often?". Really, a space simulator game. And affordable price. Let's try it.

This is exactly how it went with me as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.