When should I buy KSP?

VPS2A1

Lookin' at you, Rome II Total War.

Yes this! I got the game when 0.18 had just released and even at the price it is now (not really alot for any video game) I would buy it again!! and then probably again. I have spent double the money on new releases and only logged 100 hours at best whereas this game in well into 400+ hours and that is only limited by my lack of spare time. I'm confident I would have wayyyy over 1000 hours if I wasn't tied down by personal commitments.

Buy it now. You wont regret it!

Tweety

This is the finest example of the KSP community explaining how you will buy KSP.

What the hell, guys?

Well blood/plasma is renewable unlike kidneys. Plus it help saves lives and if I remember right. You get a discount if you ever need it back. So win win all around.

$30 isn't really that much, and don't buy through steam, buy from SQUAD's webpage; more money to squad less money to valve :)

You cannot wait... you must buy now! If you cannot afford it now, you can sell me your soul. I'm currently paying 250 USD per soul.

I don't know what's with you guys. Just wait a few days for a sale... :P

But seriously, in most cases there would be no need to rush it, but in this case I think you should rush it. 1.0 is probably going to be released very soon, within the next few weeks. Price tends to go up with each version... and honestly this game is pretty darn addictive. You'll earn the 30 bucks back by the time you've gotten bored.

- - - Updated - - -

I will probably buy it again through to store just to not have a Steamrollered version.. (that and its more than worth it to get my kids to play a copy as well)...

Had to add this: Why do people hate Steam so much? KSP doesn't even have a DRM, even when downloaded over Steam!

Do not get used to the current version yet, wait for 1.0.

This is a fair point as quite a bit will change when v1.0 arrives, aerodynamics in particular, so you may have to re learn a few things.

That said by buying now you may save a little cash, and you will be more familiar with the UIs for when v1.0 does arrive, as well as having lots of fun while waiting. On balance I still say buy now if you can. Although whenever you buy you won't regret it, above all follow your instincts and enjoy!

This is the finest example of the KSP community explaining how you will buy KSP.

What the hell, guys?

Its a joke, chill out

@ op. Seriously I'd buy the game as soon as I can. I probably play 8 or so hours a day and I still wish I could play more. If you're worried about paying more than you would than if it was on sale then look at it this way. You're giving more money to squad to make the game even better, which will net you even more fun at the end

Just had comment on this. G2A is an unlicensed reseller site. A lot of the keys up there were purchased at places with lower regional pricing and resold to other places and that's the most legitimate of their dealings. Reports of stolen and illegitimately acquired keys are not uncommon. The Far Cry 4 debacle where Devolver had to deactivate the keys because they were not legitimate is the most recent big one but not the only one. Products bought through them are questionable at best.

G2A are dodgy as hell. I had their insurance on a purchase (G2A Shield). When the sale turned out to be a fraud and I made a claim to recoup costs they tried to screw me. Took me 4.5 months of messaging and live chatting every single day to get them to finally cough up. If I hadn't been so persistent they would never of paid. I wanted my $7 back but it cost me hundreds of hours to get it.

It's my advice to avoid G2A at all cost. Your better off getting your own VPN and buying games from Russia yourself if you need to get something cheap. I would suggest only buying games from Russian Steam on a new account for each game though so If they ban the account you only lose the one game. It also has the benefit of being able to sell or give the account to someone else when you are done with that particular game.

honestly?

if you like the game and if you want it with high convenience and ultimative moddability, then buy it directly through the squad-website. no steam, no other resellers who get a share of the money, just squad (okay, and the payment provider). granted, it works through steam aswell, and you can copy the ksp-folder to whereever you want, but steam still tries to tell you when it's update-time...

LOL please guys stop telling him to sell his blood, kidneys or hair.

VPS, if you are an adult, you can manage your own finances :D

If you are a kid, show it to your parents, show them the forum, my guess is that they will happily invest in this game and your education instead of some Call of Duty game..

This is a fair point as quite a bit will change when v1.0 arrives, aerodynamics in particular, so you may have to re learn a few things.

That said by buying now you may save a little cash, and you will be more familiar with the UIs for when v1.0 does arrive, as well as having lots of fun while waiting. On balance I still say buy now if you can. Although whenever you buy you won't regret it, above all follow your instincts and enjoy!

This, the early access end with 1.0, if very unlucky you can not buy KSP after 1.0 is released until the final version 1.1.

I strongly suggest you buy the current version directly from the KSP website. Why?

- your purchase price goes directly to the dev team (I think)

- $30... It's good value for money

- The price WILL go up

- Play with the current version for a bit and enjoy the mods that have been configured with it (since it may take some time for the molders to update their code for 1.0

- Learn the game without demo restrictions

- Experience the quirks and oddities of pre 1.0 as it may help you understand and interact in the community during discussions.

- Have both versions installed once 1.0 releases, just in case...

- your purchase price goes directly to the dev team (I think)

Arguably. Squad is paying for it one way or the other. Either they pay for the infrastructure and bandwidth for you to download from them or they pay Steam to host it. Either way, it's likely about the same cost. Honestly, Steam might be cheaper for them. They get paid a percentage of sales, which is one-time per purchase but Steam has to give up the bandwidth every time you download from now till whenever KSP totally dies (Windows 20?). On the other hand, Squad has to pay for the bandwidth every time you download from their store.

It kind of depends on the pricing structure, which I don't truly know. But if everyone were on Steam, in theory, Squad would only have to pay a one time fee for each purchase of their game.

Edited by Alshain

Also, there is absolutely no difference between Steam and Store versions. There is no DRM of any sort on either version; if you buy it off Steam, you have to download it off there and get updates from there, but there's no requirement to use Steam to play it (you can even move it out of the Steam folder into a different place and uninstall Steam, reinstalling for the next update).

My two penn'orth is that if you like trying lots of mods, you might find that a tad easier with the non-Steam version, as KSP via Steam lives within the Steam directory layout, rather than where it does in a non-Steam install. But IMHO, KSP has been worth every penny right since I first came across it, which was just pre 0.23.5 It is superb value for money now, and still will be at full release price.

My two penn'orth is that if you like trying lots of mods, you might find that a tad easier with the non-Steam version, as KSP via Steam lives within the Steam directory layout, rather than where it does in a non-Steam install. But IMHO, KSP has been worth every penny right since I first came across it, which was just pre 0.23.5 It is superb value for money now, and still will be at full release price.

The Steam version is fine with mods and they're installed in just the same way as the standard game (i.e. most just copy into the Gamedata folder), you can just copy the directory to wherever you like and run it on its own if you don't want to use Steam or if you want to have multiple copies of the game.

I have several copies installed with various mods in each one so that I can chop and change between them any time I want to. I also have these versions added back into Steam as "non steam games" as I like the ease of taking/posting screenshots with Steam and the chat between friends etc. that Steam adds.

Doing it this way also means that I can keep on playing my modded games whilst the stock one updates, best of both worlds.

EDIT: And yes the game is worth every penny, if you're even remotely interested just buy it you won't regret it.

Hands down the best game I've played in a long long time...

Edited by gmiddlemass

If by a tad bit easier, you mean you don't have to copy and paste, then yes. Unlike other games, the Steam version does not "live" in the Steam folder unless you allow it to (though moving it out prevents you from using Steam features, such as screenshot uploading and the overlay). You can remove it and it will be just like the store version except that Launcher.exe does nothing.

though moving it out prevents you from using Steam features, such as screenshot uploading and the overlay

You can still use the overlay and take screenshots if you add the KSP.exe in your moved folder back into Steam as a "non steam game" as i said above.

This allows you to have multiple versions of the game installed all under the Steam overlay although only the one original installation will update through Steam, the others will simply remain at whatever level they were when you created them (0.90 in my case).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.