RemoteTech Interplanetary

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. My Kerbin network is very strong I have full coverage within the Kerbin SOI but as soon as I leave it (as in between planets not moons those connections are fine) I lose connection. I have several relays that have plenty of range. Line of site, range and power are not issues. The problem must be how I am targeting the dishes. I have tried the following: (R= relay with connection to Kerbin within Kerbin SOI X= Vessel out of Kerbin SOI)

R set to active vessel & X set to target Kerbin

R set to target X & X set to target R

R set to target Kerbol (sun) & X set to target Kerbin

Can someone help me?

Edited by jsantarosa

If you are using the really, really long range antennas on the active vessel, they have a very narrow angle; if the ship is not far out of the kerbin SOI and you target the planet, but the satellites are off to the side, then the cone may be too narrow to hit the satellites there. You might want to see about either relaying around minmus (smaller, so orbits will be smaller) or using an intermediate antenna that has a wider cone until the ship is further out.

You seem to be right and Thank you it is so simple and yet evaded me. However, what is the better configuration? Just target Kerbin? The Mod seems to lack Intermediate range dishes with decent cones since there seems to be no way to avoid a communications blackout right outside the Kerbin SOI ... unless I maybe put some more Relay CommSats.

• 2 weeks later...

If you plan your maneuvers far enough ahead in advance, you can use the flight computer to execute the ones that happen while you're out of antenna range -- and your cone should be wide enough by the time you reach another planet's SOI.

This is assuming you're not using the super-long-range antennas though. http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/parts/ has a good list of what's ideal for which range.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.