[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

@blackrack

Would you consider changing the extension on the cfg files the mod uses, or placing them within a plugindata folder? Any extension except cfg will be skipped, and any cfg in a plugindata folder will as well. This would allow MM to skip those files when checking for changes to the gamedata folder and its sub folders, and allow it to save a lot of time using the cache file it normally creates for the explicit purpose of saving time. I ask hoping this could get added before the next release. Thanks!

Edited by Svm420

Does Scatterer affect the underwater shader? I don't seem to be seeing any underwater shader, and this is with the Scatterer water disabled (for performance purposes). I know not if this'd be a bug, a workaround for something else, or intentional, but Scatterer seems to be the most likely causer of the problem (I would like to know if the problem is already known or not before I narrow down the problem mod and/or provide log files).

The third picture of the album is underwater with the camera also beneath the waves, using the PocketSub Mk III Vprototype.

(*cough* *cough* edit 1:) In the meantime, I shall see what the KSP Debug Console has to say on this.

Edit 2: The in-game Debug Console doesn't even mention this, so I have to wonder, is it intended/accidental that there is no underwater haze/fog?

Edited by LaytheDragon

15 hours ago, LaytheDragon said:

@blackrack Hast thou any (potentially-visible) progress on planetshine? (Not an "Update now!" request, just a inquiry as no new developments have been posted on the coming update this weekend)

I haven't made any progress since my last post. I've got a lot going on IRL and rarely find the time or the energy to work on the mod anymore.

On 6/18/2016 at 6:25 AM, LaytheDragon said:

Does Scatterer affect the underwater shader? I don't seem to be seeing any underwater shader, and this is with the Scatterer water disabled (for performance purposes). I know not if this'd be a bug, a workaround for something else, or intentional, but Scatterer seems to be the most likely causer of the problem (I would like to know if the problem is already known or not before I narrow down the problem mod and/or provide log files).

The third picture of the album is underwater with the camera also beneath the waves, using the PocketSub Mk III Vprototype.

(*cough* *cough* edit 1:) In the meantime, I shall see what the KSP Debug Console has to say on this.

Edit 2: The in-game Debug Console doesn't even mention this, so I have to wonder, is it intended/accidental that there is no underwater haze/fog?

I don't see what is supposed to be wrong in these images, can you make comparison pics with and without scatterer?

On 6/16/2016 at 8:31 PM, Svm420 said:

@blackrack

Would you consider changing the extension on the cfg files the mod uses, or placing them within a plugindata folder? Any extension except cfg will be skipped, and any cfg in a plugindata folder will as well. This would allow MM to skip those files when checking for changes to the gamedata folder and its sub folders, and allow it to save a lot of time using the cache file it normally creates for the explicit purpose of saving time. I ask hoping this could get added before the next release. Thanks!

People complained before that the config files weren't in .cfg and that they didn't realize these were editable files (-_-) so I changed them. Now does this really make any meaningful difference in MM load times?

On 6/13/2016 at 7:31 AM, daniel l. said:

Like i've said @blackrack You have cracked the secret to multiple light sources and custom flares, Now can you release those two as a seperate mod for us kopernicus users? :) Sorry if im bugging you but you literally have the key to a feature we've been drooling over for years.

There's still a lot to do, but in any case I might not have the time to release and maintain these features as separate mods. When they are released you could just download scatterer and use only the features that you like.

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

I don't see what is supposed to be wrong in these images, can you make comparison pics with and without scatterer?

There is no underwater haze visible when Scatterer is enabled (this is with the stock water/Scatterer's water texture disabled for performance purposes). The third screenshot in the above album I had posted was depicting the submarine underwater (it could also fly, so you may have gotten confused). As I suspected, it was Scatterer causing the issue, though it is a very minor problem that I can live with (I would rather have it not delay the planetshine feature if you have little modding time). Here is a comparison album with and without Scatterer:

(Embedded on imgur version:) http://imgur.com/a/9rn7F/embed#0

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

I haven't made any progress since my last post. I've got a lot going on IRL and rarely find the time or the energy to work on the mod anymore.

Sorry to bug you on your modding progress. By no means must you rush due to a post like that which the quote above responded to. The new planetshine features are so beautiful that the anticipation distracts from the wants to do interplanetary missions in KSP without the upcoming features (this is a compliment, and also at least mildly true).

Edited by LaytheDragon

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

People complained before that the config files weren't in .cfg and that they didn't realize these were editable files (-_-) so I changed them. Now does this really make any meaningful difference in MM load times?

yea, applying thousands of MM patches every time the game loads because it dumped its cache after detecting a change in the Scatterer (and other mod's) .cfg files (or any file outside of PluginData) makes a big difference.

However if the Scatterer .cfg files are only changed if you actually edit the settings in the game, this really isn't a huge issue as it won't cause the cache to be dumped every time the game is loaded. In this case anyone dedicating time to tweaking Scatterer settings and needing to restart the game often while doing so should just remove all other non-environmental mods because they won't have an effect on the results anyways (and it's mainly part mods that apply the gazillion patches)

Edited by Gaiiden

50 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

yea, applying thousands of MM patches every time the game loads because it dumped its cache after detecting a change in the Scatterer (and other mod's) .cfg files (or any file outside of PluginData) makes a big difference.

However if the Scatterer .cfg files are only changed if you actually edit the settings in the game, this really isn't a huge issue as it won't cause the cache to be dumped every time the game is loaded. In this case anyone dedicating time to tweaking Scatterer settings and needing to restart the game often while doing so should just remove all other non-environmental mods because they won't have an effect on the results anyways (and it's mainly part mods that apply the gazillion patches)

Ah I get it now, what would be a good extension? .config?

1 hour ago, LaytheDragon said:

There is no underwater haze visible when Scatterer is enabled (this is with the stock water/Scatterer's water texture disabled for performance purposes). The third screenshot in the above album I had posted was depicting the submarine underwater (it could also fly, so you may have gotten confused). As I suspected, it was Scatterer causing the issue, though it is a very minor problem that I can live with (I would rather have it not delay the planetshine feature if you have little modding time). Here is a comparison album with and without Scatterer:

Sorry to bug you on your modding progress. By no means must you rush due to a post like that which the quote above responded to. The new planetshine features are so beautiful that the anticipation distracts from the wants to do interplanetary missions in KSP without the upcoming features (this is a compliment, and also at least mildly true).

I see, I will try tolook at it when I can

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Or moving the file to a PluginData directory.  KSP's GameData scan skips all those and their subtree.

4 hours ago, blackrack said:

it's not the extension. Any file not in a PluginData folder that is changed since the last time the game loads will cause MM to dump its cache and rebuild from scratch. I can't remember if people asked for Scatterer configs to be editable via MM patches but if so then moving them to the PluginData folder will kill this feature.

IMO this is a non-issue for Scatterer tho - I just ran the game, went all the way through to the flight scene and back out and then re-ran it and checked the KSP.log (search for "manager] change") and there were no reported instances of Scatterer files being modified. So this will only affect people if they change Scatterer settings in the game (or directly via the text files). Again, if people are going to actively tweak their Scatterer settings I say just tell them to remove all the part mods that load the gazillion MM patches while they do it.

Scaterrer is a weird beast: it is possible to change the parameters of the base configuration and the body sub - configs with MM but the changes are not applied. Having the possibility of patching Scaterrer configs via MM would simplify by a lot the installation procedures for alternate packs (OPM, RSS, SSRSS, SVE etc).

On June 20, 2016 at 9:39 PM, Gaiiden said:

it's not the extension. Any file not in a PluginData folder that is changed since the last time the game loads will cause MM to dump its cache and rebuild from scratch. I can't remember if people asked for Scatterer configs to be editable via MM patches but if so then moving them to the PluginData folder will kill this feature.

IMO this is a non-issue for Scatterer tho - I just ran the game, went all the way through to the flight scene and back out and then re-ran it and checked the KSP.log (search for "manager] change") and there were no reported instances of Scatterer files being modified. So this will only affect people if they change Scatterer settings in the game (or directly via the text files). Again, if people are going to actively tweak their Scatterer settings I say just tell them to remove all the part mods that load the gazillion MM patches while they do it.

You are wrong the extension matters. I have personal recompiled mods and changed the extension to .dat and Mm skips them. Making them editable with Mm will save everyone far less time than if Mm skips the files and people have to make changes themselves. If I remove all parts mod make changes Mm still has to build the cache file and waste time when it could skip those files and keep using the cache and I don't have to keep moving a gig or more of files. This will save time it will make a meaningful difference. I don't want to apply all the Realism Overhaul patches ever time I want to try changIng a data point for scatterer. Seriously :( 

On 6/23/2016 at 5:04 AM, Neptunian said:

Yep, 1.1.3 updates broke sunflares, just wait for blackrack to update it to 1.1.3 and then sunflares can fill our days with happiness! :D

You never notice how lame KSP's stock sun is until the sun flare mods get broken. :(

22 hours ago, Halo_003 said:

You never notice how lame KSP's stock sun is until the sun flare mods get broken. :(

So true. :(  Those flares would have me adjust the cameras so they appeared just right and gave my boring maneuvers some artistic appeal.