[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

4 hours ago, Titan2ss said:

It doesn't work for me im on 1.9.1 but when I get to the menu screen kerbin still looks boring and gloomy any ideas why it might not be working

Are you running on Windows 10 forcing DX12, and @R-T-B's configs?

40 minutes ago, Windh said:

To me, the dx12 forcing is too hard on my system, sadly. Bad framerate.

I have exactly the same issue. Tried OpenGL instead. It works but it is as ugly as stock with no AA working at all.

There must be a way to lighten the work of the CPU with nerfing volumetric effects for clouds.

6 minutes ago, DarkNounours said:

I have exactly the same issue. Tried OpenGL instead. It works but it is as ugly as stock with no AA working at all.

There must be a way to lighten the work of the CPU with nerfing volumetric effects for clouds.

I'm sticking with 1.8 for now. :)

12 hours ago, Fan777 said:

A strange problem, the glare of the sun works fine, but then, as you switch to satellite, say on the moon, the glare of the sun instantly disappears and it becomes defaulted, stock.
At the tracking station and during the construction of the orbits, this bug is not present, the sun is normal, it disappears precisely when you switch to the satellite itself or any ship.
If you start with kerbin, this bug is missing, nothing disappears.
I can not find the reason what it is, I tried both 1.8 and 1.9
the same thing, and at the beginning of that career there is a preservation, this bug is not there, i.e. I switched and nothing disappears.
If you start a new career, everything also works well.
But why does this bug appear over time?
How to solve it.

Sorry for google translit
I hope you get the point

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshots

Near satellite view

P9jbtGeICVs.jpg

He is in orbit

2ldeG-woRrc.jpg

This is a game, a rocket at the start

mA7waAcLQ_c.jpg

This is a rocket but from orbit

E-Pw1xxTro8.jpg

I just noticed this too and was about to make a post, it seems to behave inconsistently. I started up my game and switched to my space station around Minmus and the flare was missing, then switched to a relay around the Mun and the flare appeared, and now switching back to the first station the flare is back. 1.8.1

EDIT: and switching between 2 stations its gone again.

Edited by abbiii
more info

1 hour ago, abbiii said:

I just noticed this too and was about to make a post, it seems to behave inconsistently. I started up my game and switched to my space station around Minmus and the flare was missing, then switched to a relay around the Mun and the flare appeared, and now switching back to the first station the flare is back. 1.8.1

Ok I have some additional info on this bug. The sun flare isn't actually disabled, what seems to be happening is it thinks the craft is occluding the sun and it's hiding the flare, even the craft isn't in the way.

Here's 2 pictures, notice how the flare only shows up when it's at the edge of the screen:

Spoiler

LLHKYji.png

u500Lrz.png

1 hour ago, abbiii said:

Ok I have some additional info on this bug. The sun flare isn't actually disabled, what seems to be happening is it thinks the craft is occluding the sun and it's hiding the flare, even the craft isn't in the way.

Here's 2 pictures, notice how the flare only shows up when it's at the edge of the screen:

Reveal hidden contents

LLHKYji.png

u500Lrz.png

Most likely, yes, as if something is interfering with the download, because for a moment everything is fine, but as it boots, it disappears

15 hours ago, Pepe said:

1.9.1  Dx12 using fix in scatterer configs.
SVE + scatterer
No Reshade in Dx12 mode.
average 86fps
Gtx2080ti

?imw=1920&&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&im

By fix you mean this fix ?

14 hours ago, Ovi said:

How do I force DirectX12?

This part is easy, create a shorcut of KSP_x64.exe and do as the following with an additional -force-d3d12 parameter

200307075912419194.png

Edited by DarkNounours

9 hours ago, abbiii said:

21 hours ago, Fan777 said:

A strange problem, the glare of the sun works fine, but then, as you switch to satellite, say on the moon, the glare of the sun instantly disappears and it becomes defaulted, stock.
At the tracking station and during the construction of the orbits, this bug is not present, the sun is normal, it disappears precisely when you switch to the satellite itself or any ship.
If you start with kerbin, this bug is missing, nothing disappears.
I can not find the reason what it is, I tried both 1.8 and 1.9
the same thing, and at the beginning of that career there is a preservation, this bug is not there, i.e. I switched and nothing disappears.
If you start a new career, everything also works well.
But why does this bug appear over time?
How to solve it.

Sorry for google translit
I hope you get the point

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshots

Near satellite view

P9jbtGeICVs.jpg

He is in orbit

2ldeG-woRrc.jpg

This is a game, a rocket at the start

mA7waAcLQ_c.jpg

This is a rocket but from orbit

E-Pw1xxTro8.jpg

Can you guys try reverting to the previous version of scatterer?

9 hours ago, DarkNounours said:

By fix you mean this fix ?

This part is easy, create a shorcut of KSP_x64.exe and do as the following with an additional -force-dx12 parameter

200306060403670137.png

As I mentioned earlier, I tried that but couldn't get DX12 to work, what is the command for forcing OpenGL?

forced dx12... forced opengl.... bugs...why do your need this?

I better use 1.8.1 KSP and and patiently wait for the normal scatter under 1.9. All these new 1.9. stock textures are not worth a tenth of the beauties of the 1.8.1. scatter

4 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

As I mentioned earlier, I tried that but couldn't get DX12 to work, what is the command for forcing OpenGL?

I made a mistake earlier, correct argument is -force-d3d12. In the same way you can use -force-opengl but the rendering is pretty ugly with no AA.

Hi! Fix  -force-d3d12 breaks all mods that use overlay. For example ScanSat, when switching to map mode with scanning enabled - game crashes, due to can't display the scan beam. Or MechJeb, when you select a point autoland - there is an overlay of the cross point selection and crash. ;.;

15 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

forced dx12... forced opengl.... bugs...why do your need this?

I better use 1.8.1 KSP and and patiently wait for the normal scatter under 1.9. All these new 1.9. stock textures are not worth a tenth of the beauties of the 1.8.1. scatter

For the record, I forced DX12 with a Radeon 5700 XT and though performance is worse (still playable though), there are no bugs yet.   For me it is worth it, but YMMV obviously.

2 hours ago, rebel-1 said:

Hi! Fix  -force-d3d12 breaks all mods that use overlay. For example ScanSat, when switching to map mode with scanning enabled - game crashes, due to can't display the scan beam. Or MechJeb, when you select a point autoland - there is an overlay of the cross point selection and crash. ;.;

DX12 is rough on overlays in general.  Also DX12 support on cards varies wildly (you need a pretty new one, honestly for good support).  Vulkan, which I am about to mention below, is kinda the same.

Though DX12 is Windows 10 only, Linux users may have an additional trick up their sleeve.  It looks like the Vulkan renderer may be enabled there.  I have no idea how well it works, or if it even will load, but you may give it a try with "-force-vulkan"

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

Linux users may have an additional trick up their sleeve.  It looks like the Vulkan renderer may be enabled there.  I have no idea how well it works, or if it even will load, but you may give it a try with "-force-vulkan"

I'll save you the trouble: It doesn't load.
I'm running other games (e.g. X4) with Vulkan, but I've never seen it working in Unity. I'm pretty sure that command line switch is just trolling.

Edited by steve_v

2 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Isn't it more practical and simple to just wait for an update and use 1.8.1, without having to risk breaking a variety of mods?

If it's working, why?  I mean I guess it depends on how bad your performance is.  My modstack runs fine though other than scatterer, and the performance hit is within acceptable.

Then again, this is really a personal preference thing.  I've always been the "bleeding edge" type.

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

I'm running other games (e.g. X4) with Vulkan, but I've never seen it working in Unity. I'm pretty sure that command line switch is just trolling.

Unfortunate, thanks.

Just as an FYI for other folks, I added the config fix from @R-T-B, but didn't bother changing my video settings (win10 with a 1080gtx, as it might matter) and the planet no longer looks to be covered in snow when I start up the game.  This means forcing d3d12/opengl may not be needed by everyone.

edit: Of course, then I get into the game and have no water still, so I guess forcing the other display options are still needed.

Edited by krenshala

23 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Though DX12 is Windows 10 only, Linux users may have an additional trick up their sleeve.  It looks like the Vulkan renderer may be enabled there.  I have no idea how well it works, or if it even will load, but you may give it a try with "-force-vulkan"

Instant core dump under linux.

22 hours ago, steve_v said:

The Long Dark will work with -force-vulkan, with one caveat; the shadows are on a meth trip.