[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

On 7/28/2020 at 7:44 PM, mor128 said:

I had Scatterer + Astronomer's installed with and without the .dll in my 1.10 game and I am getting some flickering oceans at high altitudes in a small square around engine exhausts. I uninstalled Scatterer to wait for the official 1.10 version but I could reinstall scatterer and provide the log + screenshot if that would help.

Screens?

1 minute ago, Munarmunar said:

No no, it's not the engine exhaust but the water itself

Ah ok, the other person who reported this said it was around engine exhausts. Looks like z-fighting, this is with scatterer 0.0610? Which other mods and which versions? And was this working on 1.8 with the same configs?

23 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Ah ok, the other person who reported this said it was around engine exhausts. Looks like z-fighting, this is with scatterer 0.0610? Which other mods and which versions? And was this working on 1.8 with the same configs?

Yeah it's with Scatterer 0.0610, the only visual mods that i had (?) were SVE (and its dependencies) and EVE, everything updated to the latest version. I haven't tested 1.8 myself so idk

Edited by Munarmunar

23 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Odd... It almost looks like there an EVE cloud layer at water level. Not sure what that is but I haven't seen it using Spectra/Scatterer.

Weird... I could try with other visual addons, maybe it is an SVE issue, but i wouldn't say so, idk

I'm not having any issues with Scatterer, EVE, SVE, a friend of mine though does. Turned out he's using Windows 10 with DX12 (or at least 11.2), while I'm using Windows 7 with DX11 incl. the Platform Update - maybe this is related to the reported issues?

1 hour ago, VoidSquid said:

I'm not having any issues with Scatterer, EVE, SVE, a friend of mine though does. Turned out he's using Windows 10 with DX12 (or at least 11.2), while I'm using Windows 7 with DX11 incl. the Platform Update - maybe this is related to the reported issues?

Yeah i'm using Windows 10 with DX12 as well, maybe it is DirectX?

Edited by Munarmunar

13 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I experienced this as well on JNSQ but assumed (perhaps correctly) it was an EVE bug.  Using the scatterer ocean shaders mostly kills it.

Ok so I tested and this happens with stock with the ocean shaders off, thanks for the report guys. Also happens on 1.9

Edited by blackrack

On 7/3/2020 at 10:43 PM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Hi ... not sure how interested you'll be in this, but I'm currently testing Kopernicus Continued, on 1.10 with JNSQ 0.90.0. With that bare bones config, the visuals are correct. Adding scatterer causes the water on Kerbin to disappear. I've tested this by copying my scatterer folder from a working 1.8.1 install, and replacing the DLL with the one you linked a few messages back, built 7/3. The water can be fixed by disabling the Ocean Shaders option and restarting.

I've put log files for two runs on my google drive if you're interested. One run is starting with ocean shaders on, the other with them option off. The larger log contains more shiz because I launched a capsule just to make sure it was the same in the flight scene as the space center scene.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1A_Gn6nW1teghxLQTpvVmr1j9wVBQz-ZK?usp=sharing

So I'm not getting this issue, downloaded JNSQ 0.90.0 and the latest download of Kopernicus Continued, and the ocean is working correctly.

Edited: NVM I had the wrong version of Kopernicus Continued, let me try again.

Edited again: Nope, works fine, no problems

Edited by blackrack

So guys I couldn't reproduce the issue reported above with JNSQ, but I fixed the issue with the stock ocean reported above.

Other than that I found no other issues on 1.10, I played for a while and it all seems pretty stable.

I'm going to package a release with what I have now, and if there are issues you can report them and I will fix them when I have time.

14 minutes ago, blackrack said:

So guys I couldn't reproduce the issue reported above with JNSQ, but I fixed the issue with the stock ocean reported above.

Other than that I found no other issues on 1.10, I played for a while and it all seems pretty stable.

I'm going to package a release with what I have now, and if there are issues you can report them and I will fix them when I have time.

Nice, thanks!
I've got to play with shaders off because it burns my GPU a little, but otherwise, scatterer is awesome :D 

Heyho @blackrack, did you use a different software to create the zip file for this release than you did in the past?

The NetKAN bot gets the following error trying to open the file to index it:

https://spacedock.info/mod/141/scatterer/download/0.0621 is not a valid ZIP file: Error in step EntryHeader for GameData/scatterer/config/config.cfg: Exception during test - 'Compression method not supported'

Edited by DasSkelett

1 hour ago, DasSkelett said:

Heyho @blackrack, did you use a different software to create the zip file for this release than you did in the past?

The NetKAN bot gets the following error trying to open the file to index it:

I did, I'll revert back to the old one.

Edited: done

Edited by blackrack

17 hours ago, blackrack said:

So I'm not getting this issue, downloaded JNSQ 0.90.0 and the latest download of Kopernicus Continued, and the ocean is working correctly.

OK, I'm back on 1.8.1, with released versions of everything. With a bare-bones JNSQ/AVP installation, scatterer does not render water for me until I turn off the ocean shader. But let's ignore that for a sec ... I'm also getting a debug log spam message from scatterer. Maybe you can help me figure this one out and see if it leads to something that I've installed wrong, etc. Here's a link to the log file, which should have a list of the mods?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WE8T87K4zcIEqRzjhTQRYjPRVyRfI3KO?usp=sharing

The repeated message is 

[EXC 23:01:54.599] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateStuff () (at <c242f3d90315428492d244d6912c4c64>:0)
    scatterer.SkyNode.OnPreRender () (at <c242f3d90315428492d244d6912c4c64>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Any ideas?

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

OK, I'm back on 1.8.1, with released versions of everything. With a bare-bones JNSQ/AVP installation, scatterer does not render water for me until I turn off the ocean shader. But let's ignore that for a sec ... I'm also getting a debug log spam message from scatterer. Maybe you can help me figure this one out and see if it leads to something that I've installed wrong, etc. Here's a link to the log file, which should have a list of the mods?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WE8T87K4zcIEqRzjhTQRYjPRVyRfI3KO?usp=sharing

The repeated message is 

[EXC 23:01:54.599] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateStuff () (at <c242f3d90315428492d244d6912c4c64>:0)
    scatterer.SkyNode.OnPreRender () (at <c242f3d90315428492d244d6912c4c64>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Any ideas?

[LOG 22:56:16.112] [Scatterer][Debug]  Atmosphere config not found for: Kerbin

On 8/1/2020 at 5:21 PM, blackrack said:

So what do engine exhausts have to do with this? Seems like it's happening everywhere.

I had this z-fighting in a small square around the exhaust effects. The rest of the ocean looked normal. When I cut the engines it was gone. However the new version fixed it for me, too.