[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

W O W.....

ModuleManager.2.8.1.dll
ModuleManager.3.1.1.dll
ModuleManager.4.1.0.dll
ModuleManager.4.1.3.dll

I wouldn't even have the courage to even begin to try to help someone whos install has something like that in it...

@steve_v I salute you, you are awesome... and soo much more patient than I.

Edited by TheKurgan

32 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

ModuleManager...

Yeah. IKR.
Multiple copies of MM is not the problem it once was, but that kind of ugly is indicative of an install that's been managed manually, and likely through multiple KSP versions. I bet you a cookie he has incompatible and/or broken mods installed too.

26 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

I salute you, you are awesome... and soo much more patient than I.

Thanks, but I'm really not. ;)

I'm actually quite short tempered, particularly with people who don't follow instructions and/or put in reasonable effort to solve their own problems. Also people who don't use punctuation.
I'm most certainly out on this one, at least until @Not a Spy can finger scatterer for this "bug" in a non-broken install.

10 hours ago, steve_v said:

Indeed. The new log you linked does not contain that particular problem... The other issues JadeOfMaar pointed out are still present though, including a nested GameData and a bunch of mod directories in the wrong place.
Scatterer has even noticed how messed up your install is:

[Scatterer][Error] Destroying duplicate instance, check your install for duplicate mod folders

Presumably that means there's another copy in GameData/GameData (which shouldn't exist to begin with), along with who knows what else. Chaos ensues.

Trying to troubleshoot supposed scatterer bugs in amongst this disaster is pretty pointless. You have errors from several other mods, as well as from stock game code - the latter is almost certainly caused by the former, and either could be breaking scatterer.
I recommend a fresh install, with mods managed by CKAN so you don't get into such a mess again.
Once you have the rest of your house in order, of if you can reproduce the problem with only scatterer, then we'll talk scatterer bugs.

i removed the nested gmedata, im gonn acheck if it works

9 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

W O W.....

ModuleManager.2.8.1.dll
ModuleManager.3.1.1.dll
ModuleManager.4.1.0.dll
ModuleManager.4.1.3.dll

I wouldn't even have the courage to even begin to try to help someone whos install has something like that in it...

@steve_v I salute you, you are awesome... and soo much more patient than I.

and im sorry for my mess of an install

Edited by Not a Spy

13 minutes ago, Not a Spy said:

im gonn acheck if it works

Or you could, ya know, address all the problems that have been mentioned instead of just poking the easiest thing and hoping. :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, Not a Spy said:

and im sorry for my mess

The only person you could or should apologise to is yourself, you're the one suffering the consequences. Again, I suggest you use CKAN, it'll save you pain.

Edited by steve_v

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

Or you could, ya know, address all the problems that have been mentioned instead of just poking the easiest thing and hoping. :rolleyes:

The only person you could or should apologise to is yourself, you're the one suffering the consequences. Again, I suggest you use CKAN, it'll save you pain.

ok, im just gonna check to see if what @JadeOfMaarsaid will work, and if that doesnt ill reinstall what i can with ckan

13 hours ago, Lewie said:

This is an amazing mod, but I’m not really on-board with the atmospheric shaders. I don’t like they way they blot out the revamped kerbin texture. How does one go about with getting rid of said shader?

Go in the UI and all the config points, set "Scattering Exposure" and "Extinction Thickness" to 0. Done.

Hi folks, is it possible to "get rid of" the blueish tint of kerbal planet? So it looks more like the default settings whitout a mod...?

I played with the settings all day long, searched for a settigs-guide, watched vids and I can´t figured it out. I finaly saw the post above (from Lewie), but that didn´t fixed it for me...

My visual mods so far: Scatterer; Environmental Visual Enhancements; Stock Planet Config files; StockVisualEnhancements; Planet Shine; Boulder Co

I may need help, thx

https://imgur.com/EXAZ87b

Edited by djbcut

On 8/23/2020 at 2:43 PM, djbcut said:

Hi folks, is it possible to "get rid of" the blueish tint of kerbal planet? So it looks more like the default settings whitout a mod...?

I played with the settings all day long, searched for a settigs-guide, watched vids and I can´t figured it out. I finaly saw the post above (from Lewie), but that didn´t fixed it for me...

My visual mods so far: Scatterer; Environmental Visual Enhancements; Stock Planet Config files; StockVisualEnhancements; Planet Shine; Boulder Co

I may need help, thx

https://imgur.com/EXAZ87b

I may be totally misunderstanding the in-game/mod terminology, but are you referencing the same thing as the two posts above yours are? The "Bluish tint" ?

20 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

I may be totally misunderstanding the in-game/mod terminology, but are you referencing the same thing as the two posts above yours are? The "Bluish tint" ?

The two posts above, you mean Blackrack´s and Lewie´s answer´s on Lewie´s Topic? Or Lewie´s and Not a Spy´s Topic... The other topic whould be way above my knowledge :D

I changed the settings like the mod-maker said (Scattering Exposure, Extinction Tint and Extinction Thickness) to Zero:

On 8/22/2020 at 3:21 PM, blackrack said:

Go in the UI and all the config points, set "Scattering Exposure" and "Extinction Thickness" to 0. Done.

That changed nothing at all, either at space nor at groundlevel. And if I finagle whit other settings to hard, I ruin the looks sooo bad. ;) After reading Blackrack´s Config Points... Sry, I didn´t get it. And badly there is not a single vid out there, that explains how to "play" whit the config settings of this mod. I only found "How to install" or "Showcase" vids.... Maybee there are some I haven´t found yet? PLS post some....

I also tryed reistalling Scatterer either manualy and via CKAN. By default settings after reinstallation I got this bluish tint overlaying Kerbin, like in my picture: https://imgur.com/EXAZ87b

At the moment I play whitout Scatterer. But I already miss the foggy ambiance on the planets, the improfed water and so on.... but the ugly Kerbin disturbs me to much.

Maybee there is a simple solution out there. Thx for keep on helping in advance

44 minutes ago, djbcut said:

The two posts above, you mean Blackrack´s and Lewie´s answer´s on Lewie´s Topic? Or Lewie´s and Not a Spy´s Topic... The other topic whould be way above my knowledge :D

I changed the settings like the mod-maker said (Scattering Exposure, Extinction Tint and Extinction Thickness) to Zero:

That changed nothing at all, either at space nor at groundlevel. And if I finagle whit other settings to hard, I ruin the looks sooo bad. ;) After reading Blackrack´s Config Points... Sry, I didn´t get it. And badly there is not a single vid out there, that explains how to "play" whit the config settings of this mod. I only found "How to install" or "Showcase" vids.... Maybee there are some I haven´t found yet? PLS post some....

I also tryed reistalling Scatterer either manualy and via CKAN. By default settings after reinstallation I got this bluish tint overlaying Kerbin, like in my picture: https://imgur.com/EXAZ87b

At the moment I play whitout Scatterer. But I already miss the foggy ambiance on the planets, the improfed water and so on.... but the ugly Kerbin disturbs me to much.

Maybee there is a simple solution out there. Thx for keep on helping in advance

Scatterer uses a config point system which essentially means certain variables can have different values at certain altitudes.

You likely modified settings in a single config point.

Open the UI and look at the top you'll see arrows to cycle between config points and you'll see their altitude, you'll see the values of the other variables change when you change the active config point. Make your changes and hit apply/save (or whatever I've named the button).

Edited by blackrack

40 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Scatterer uses a config point system which essentially means certain variables can have different values at certain altitudes.

You likely modified settings in a single config point.

Open the UI and look at the top you'll see arrows to cycle between config points and you'll see their altitude, you'll see the values of the other variables change when you change the active config point. Make your changes and hit apply/save (or whatever I've named the button).

OK, I get it... sort of :D..... There are 3 Config points set by default (0:200; 1:1000; 2:250000) If I now ONLY change the settings in 

On 8/22/2020 at 3:21 PM, blackrack said:

"Scattering Exposure" and "Extinction Thickness" to 0.

at all Config points (whitout Extinction Tint 0.5 at all CP) and hit the Set Button right of the Scattering Exposure/Extinction Thickness to SET IT,  the bluish tint is gone looking from space.... Nice.

BUT all the water and sky are black now. What have I done wrong?

Wait, I got it. Heureka. I made an additional Config point at 300000 and set Scattering Exposure and Extinction Thickness there to 0. 

The water and sky are alright and Kerbin from space looks nice. :D Thx for your help Blackrack.

A last question: Why has Kerbin this bluish tint in the "default settings" in the first place?

1 hour ago, djbcut said:

A last question: Why has Kerbin this bluish tint in the "default settings" in the first place?

Because, uhh... It's supposed to be analoguous to earth, which is which color again?

AS11-36-5302.jpg

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Because, uhh... It's supposed to be analoguous to earth, which is which color again?

Ok OK. I get your sarcasm. Sry, don´t want to offend you. Maybee I rethink my question. Why is the saturation that strong, the effect so overdone....? (my opinion) 

My bad....Your mod is really AWESOME. I mean that. And after my brain finally understand how to play whit the settings a bit, even more.
Since my last post I was "trying hard" to get the settings as I liked it. Just adding a new Config point at 300000 and setting 0 there, wasn´t final. I lunched a rocked and tryed out how it looked... Awefull at first... the hard transition from default 250000 settings to mine...omg  :D

I litterly spend hours now for that "simple" problem. So.... For all folks, who wanna try out my setting. The original mod-settings stay as they are, but from distance, Kerbin will look a bit more like before Scatterer...Check out the following pic and the actual wrote down settings: 

CP = Config point, SEScattering Exposure, ETi = Extinction Tint, ETh = Extinction Thickness
CP 0            (200AGL) ; SE = 0,23 ;  ETi = 0,5 ;      ETh = 1,0
CP 1         (1´000AGL) ; SE = 0,23 ;  ETi = 0,5 ;      ETh = 1,0
CP 2     (250´000AGL) ; SE = 0,01 ;  ETi = 0,2 ;      ETh = 1,0
CP 3 (1´000´000AGL) ; SE = 0,005 ; ETi = 0,005 ; ETh = 0,9

Here is what it looks like approching from 2mio AGL (clockwise): https://imgur.com/N7SKq5V

Thx for the help in explaining the settings to Blackrack. Maybe someone who fully understands all the mod will make a tutorial how to "play" whit all the settings.
So far I checked.... SCATTERER is around for long, and "allmost" every showcase vid on youtube advertise this mod, damn rightly.

Greetings from a week old ksp mod-user so far :D stay save

New version is up, fixes the occasional black screen when reverting to KSC, has a small performance improvement when using the ocean shader, and adds compatibility with EVE-Redux's new particle fading. Some other small quality of life improvements, full changelog in the OP.

Hey Blackrock, incredible job, I just wanted to say that first. I really appreciate all the hard work many mod authors around here put in, but Scatter especially is one that really sticks out -- I can't even play the game without it anymore, it's become that crucial to me. That being said, I waited for months after the release of version 1.9 to update my game, simply because I didn't want to break my most crucial visual mods. Then last night, I saw that not only were there new versions of scatter and EVE available, but that you'd also been tinkering with your own version of EVE, and so I just had to see what you were cooking up. I know the performance-improved build of EVE has its own thread, but I am seeing probably ~20 more FPS in the areas where frame-rate used to really tank (that's a guess based on observation, but flying into volumetric clouds for example is noticeably smoother, no question). However, I do have a question about something I am noticing now when zooming in and out on my ship, while it's in LKO...

QvVPvbm.jpg

So, as you can see here, it looks good certainly, but the cloud shadows aren't exactly obvious, and it does have a more flat appearance I'd say give that. Then, if I zoom out...

dbzevQI.jpg

Major shift to dark blue, as the atmosphere becomes dramatically more transparent, but the clouds in particular gain MUCH more apparent shadows. 

I have tried playing around with some of the settings djbcut listed above, and while they produce a result that is more similar to the second image I posted, it also causes a pretty abrupt cut over from the light-blue tinted lower atmosphere with more scattering going on, then suddenly at higher altitudes Kerbin becomes a much darker shade of blue, with its clouds hovering in a perfectly crystal clear atmosphere. Is there anyway to smooth out this transition between the way Kerbin appears at lower altitudes, vs the way it appears at higher ones? It's not so much that I mind the change, more so that it's instant and distracting, rather gradually fading as you get higher above the surface. 

Oh and one last issue if anyone has any helpful tips for me. Like I mentioned above, I tried messing around with some of the scatter atmosphere config settings to change the appearance of Kerbin. However, I ended up having to do it manually by going in, finding what I was pretty sure would be the right config file (GameData\scatterer\config\Planets\Kerbin\atmo.cfg), opened it in Notepad, looked for the specific parameters mentioned in djbcut's post, then edited and saved the file. I would do this through the overlay in the game, like blackrock mentions doing a few posts back, but when I try, I get this:

z3opDFV.jpg

I am not entirely sure how to fix this :-( . I am using CKAN, so I don't know where I am supposed to add that config, or maybe if there is a file that I need to edit, to add that "EVE_ATMOSPHERE{}" parameter in? 

Either way, I am loving the mod, and it only gets better over time, so thank you again blackrock! You've made an already great game even better! If anyone has any tips for my issues that they think might help, I am all ears. Until then, I am just enjoying the fact that I could finally update from 1.8.1 and retain my graphical mods :-) . 

Edited by SuperFlyTNT2
formatting

On 8/27/2020 at 11:27 AM, SuperFlyTNT2 said:

So, as you can see here, it looks good certainly, but the cloud shadows aren't exactly obvious, and it does have a more flat appearance I'd say give that. Then, if I zoom out...

Major shift to dark blue, as the atmosphere becomes dramatically more transparent, but the clouds in particular gain MUCH more apparent shadows. 

I have tried playing around with some of the settings djbcut listed above, and while they produce a result that is more similar to the second image I posted, it also causes a pretty abrupt cut over from the light-blue tinted lower atmosphere with more scattering going on, then suddenly at higher altitudes Kerbin becomes a much darker shade of blue, with its clouds hovering in a perfectly crystal clear atmosphere. Is there anyway to smooth out this transition between the way Kerbin appears at lower altitudes, vs the way it appears at higher ones? It's not so much that I mind the change, more so that it's instant and distracting, rather gradually fading as you get higher above the surface. 

Oh and one last issue if anyone has any helpful tips for me. Like I mentioned above, I tried messing around with some of the scatter atmosphere config settings to change the appearance of Kerbin. However, I ended up having to do it manually by going in, finding what I was pretty sure would be the right config file (GameData\scatterer\config\Planets\Kerbin\atmo.cfg), opened it in Notepad, looked for the specific parameters mentioned in djbcut's post, then edited and saved the file. I would do this through the overlay in the game, like blackrock mentions doing a few posts back, but when I try, I get this:

I am not entirely sure how to fix this :-( . I am using CKAN, so I don't know where I am supposed to add that config, or maybe if there is a file that I need to edit, to add that "EVE_ATMOSPHERE{}" parameter in? 

Either way, I am loving the mod, and it only gets better over time, so thank you again blackrock! You've made an already great game even better! If anyone has any tips for my issues that they think might help, I am all ears. Until then, I am just enjoying the fact that I could finally update from 1.8.1 and retain my graphical mods :-) . 

Thank you.

For the shift to dark blue, you probably have an outdated config, so either download the new scatterer config or update whatever visual mod you are using because that looks like scattering values are set to zero for the higher config points (which used to be a thing in older versions of scatterer when local settings and scaledSpace settings were separate).

The cloud shadows fade out in EVE-Redux as you gain altitude (to hide depth buffer issues), but they come back once in orbit and the depth buffer is no longer needed or used (what we call scaled space). It's a work in progress and I'm still working on the transition there.

For the UI, you're in the UI of EVE and not Scatterer's, check the OP for how to access the UI of scatterer, the UI will tell you which config file is really used, if you're using configs from another visual pack (which it looks like you are).

Edited by blackrack

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a definitive solve and/or an answer to the ice age issue at this point? This has frankly been a really frustrating issue to tackle. Not because I don't understand how open-source development works and I have unreasonable expectations, but because I've wasted days on different config files, re-installations, etc. and there's just not a straight-forward, up-to-date answer anywhere.  It's really difficult to try and track it in this thread. We could use a summation from someone or an official word rather than reddit threads with deletions and no searchable/trackable threads, not even in the github bug tracker.

1) Is this issue currently fixed?

2) What is causing this? (ie, combination of EVE+Scatterer+OpenGL card or whatever)

3) Are there any current working workarounds?

I'm not looking for an estimated time to fix, I'm not yelling about it being broken, I truly appreciate what has been developed with Scatterer and Blackrack is clearly a leading and awesome dev in our community, I'm just relaying an experience a lot of others are probably having in terms of just being informed that you may not be aware of. Just need status, nothing more.

Thanks Blackrack, you're awesome and I wouldn't have wrote this if I didn't think you'd want to know about this kind of experience.

bLRDACA.jpg

4 hours ago, BumbleBeeJBG said:

Is there a definitive solve and/or an answer to the ice age issue at this point? This has frankly been a really frustrating issue to tackle. Not because I don't understand how open-source development works and I have unreasonable expectations, but because I've wasted days on different config files, re-installations, etc. and there's just not a straight-forward, up-to-date answer anywhere.  It's really difficult to try and track it in this thread. We could use a summation from someone or an official word rather than reddit threads with deletions and no searchable/trackable threads, not even in the github bug tracker.

1) Is this issue currently fixed?

2) What is causing this? (ie, combination of EVE+Scatterer+OpenGL card or whatever)

3) Are there any current working workarounds?

I'm not looking for an estimated time to fix, I'm not yelling about it being broken, I truly appreciate what has been developed with Scatterer and Blackrack is clearly a leading and awesome dev in our community, I'm just relaying an experience a lot of others are probably having in terms of just being informed that you may not be aware of. Just need status, nothing more.

Thanks Blackrack, you're awesome and I wouldn't have wrote this if I didn't think you'd want to know about this kind of experience.

What config are you using? I fixed this a long time ago for the stock scatterer configs. As a general rule, if you're wondering if a bug was fixed or not, use the latest scatterer with it's stock configs.

To fix it yourself just adjust the settings in this line in the UI

m4xoe6s.png

Or these settings in the atmo config file directly:

specR = 80
        specG = 72
        specB = 65
        shininess = 75

Note: Depending on your config you might need to use different values.

2nd Note: Things might look slightly different in the main menu for some reason, if an issue only appears in main menu it is low priority for me.

Edited by blackrack

Solving the problem in general would certainly explain why I can't find a status update!  Not sure why I'm still seeing this.

1) I'm using the default config through CKAN, pictured here:

wSXCj2M.png

2) The Atmo settings in the config file for Kerbin were 17 across RGB values from that download.

3) Modifying the config values to your specified settings produces this same result:

2DQDnqm.jpg

4) Kerbin in-game does in deed look different but it's still got a washed out blue tint overall compared to everyone elses (no PostFX mods installed):

cvHv9Ol.jpg

Potentially relevant rendering info: GeForce 2080ti, "Game Ready" 452.06 driver, windows 10, dx12 (installed, not forced to run)

1 hour ago, BumbleBeeJBG said:

Solving the problem in general would certainly explain why I can't find a status update!  Not sure why I'm still seeing this.

1) I'm using the default config through CKAN, pictured here:

2) The Atmo settings in the config file for Kerbin were 17 across RGB values from that download.

3) Modifying the config values to your specified settings produces this same result:

4) Kerbin in-game does in deed look different but it's still got a washed out blue tint overall compared to everyone elses (no PostFX mods installed):

Potentially relevant rendering info: GeForce 2080ti, "Game Ready" 452.06 driver, windows 10, dx12 (installed, not forced to run)

This doesn't look like the stock config at all, it looks like you have SVE or something installed, in which case they override the config, that's why your changes produce the same result. So yeah, tweak your actual configs, or use just the stock ones.

Apologies for the misunderstanding, I have the following visual mods installed, before I meant I don't have PostFX-specific mods installed which could contribute to discoloration after your shaders.  I thought these mods were pretty standard for scatterer users (and don't you contribute or currently maintain the EVE mod?) All are latest versions off of freshly copied over from steam KSP install.

-Astronomer's Visual Pack

-Environmental Visual Enhancements

-Planetshine (+default config)

-Pood's Calm Nebula Skybox

How do I know which config is currently being used? 

Let me know if this is traveling too far outside the realm of things you want to support. Had not considered some other mod could be overriding your mod's settings.

Edited by BumbleBeeJBG
Clarity

I am tinkering with a personal port of a Trappist1e model (to work  as a home system with Principia) & perhaps I've not rotated something or I've let something sneak through from the Kerbin template that I should not?  Very grateful for suggestions...only seeing this 90 deg rotation of reddish scattering on an @Body[Kerbin] { } planet in the system...the ported scatterer data shows beautifully in this home system with all the other planets based on other templates.  Here is the most key image:

North Pole view with Sun towards upper left corner
q4a52SH.png

additional relevant images in this album: 

Spoiler

KSP 1.9.1

wrbPPXn.png

Thank you very much for insights & suggestions!

Edited by AloE