[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

31 minutes ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

I used to playing with Spectra before. I don't really see a difference with AVP except AVP's texture are really gorgeous. Except the Skybox I dont' like at all.

Yeah, AVP's clouds are gorgeous, but It's skybox is kinda.. iffy.

1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

I've had an issue with framerate recently too. No log spamming, same mods. I've resorted to using AVP without Scatterer just to help my frames a bit.

1 hour ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

I've tested EVE and Scatterer alone with a new sandbox game, no issue. I'm adding all my mods by small batches and launching the same rocket again and again to see if there are bad interactions. I will end up with AVP which is a well known framerate shatterer, at least for my 1060 6Gb :D 

Have you guys tried reducing the shadows distance or lowering the default override with 8192x8192 shadowmaps?

Anyway, I have a gtx 1060 3gb and I usually ship the config that works well on my machine. I'm getting 60 fps with stock scatterer + stock EVE, and textures unlimited, however I do have stock reflection probes resolution lowered to 256 and the lowered refresh setting (pretty useless to have it set higher from my testing).

With my old CPU however (i5-3470) I don't go crazy on the part counts.

Edited by blackrack

https://imgur.com/a/2i70HF8

Hello! Does someone knows a fix for this bug? It starts to happen exactly at 20000ft above the ocean and dissapears at more or less 60000

I'm almost sure it is due the Scatterer. When I enable Ocean Shader, the sky becomes black and the ocean, in any altitude ASL, becomes buggy like that.

The visuals mods I'm using are: AVP, EVE and Scatterer.

On 4/30/2020 at 3:02 PM, OnlyLightMatters said:

I've tested EVE and Scatterer alone with a new sandbox game, no issue. I'm adding all my mods by small batches and launching the same rocket again and again to see if there are bad interactions.

Would you mind keeping me updated about the progress? I have about 200 mods installed and if one of them really is a resource hog, I might consider getting rid of it.

On 4/30/2020 at 4:52 PM, blackrack said:

Anyway, I have a gtx 1060 3gb and I usually ship the config that works well on my machine. I'm getting 60 fps with stock scatterer + stock EVE, and textures unlimited, however I do have stock reflection probes resolution lowered to 256 and the lowered refresh setting (pretty useless to have it set higher from my testing).

With my old CPU however (i5-3470) I don't go crazy on the part counts.

The important question would be which resolution you're playing at. With my previous setup with an i5-4670, 16 GB RAM and a 1070 GTX 8GB I got only about 15-3

0 FPS after start in with a 120ish part stock rocket. I was playing in 2560 * 1400.

Now with an upgrade to AMD Ryzen 5 1600  (still paired with 16 GB RAM and GTX 1070 8 GB I get about 35 - 45 FPS, typically. Pretty much never 60 FPS. In Stock without scatterer it's something like 120 FPS. But scatterer (especially the ocean shader) is so gorgeous that I can't ever play KSP without it :). So I really do wonder which resolution you're playing at.

17 minutes ago, FasterThanFlourite said:

The important question would be which resolution you're playing at. With my previous setup with an i5-4670, 16 GB RAM and a 1070 GTX 8GB I got only about 15-3

0 FPS after start in with a 120ish part stock rocket. I was playing in 2560 * 1400.

Now with an upgrade to AMD Ryzen 5 1600  (still paired with 16 GB RAM and GTX 1070 8 GB I get about 35 - 45 FPS, typically. Pretty much never 60 FPS. In Stock without scatterer it's something like 120 FPS. But scatterer (especially the ocean shader) is so gorgeous that I can't ever play KSP without it :). So I really do wonder which resolution you're playing at.

I play at 1080p, so your numbers add up.

Here's what you can do:

- Change the ocean mesh resolution from the default value of 4 to 8 or 16, this makes the ocean mesh less dense, but the difference is not noticeable with the default calm ocean setting (in fact I should probably change the default value of this that I ship)

- Lower in-game MSAA to 4x or 2x (it scales badly with the dense ocean mesh)

- Change the shadowmap resolution override to 4096 instead of 8192 and the shadow distance to 25000 instead of 50000

- If it's still slow change the ocean fourier grid size from 128 to 64 (probably won't see a big difference with a GTX 1070 though)

Let me know what kind of performance increases you see with these settings, I expect you to hit at least 42-55 FPS.

Edited by blackrack

3 hours ago, FasterThanFlourite said:

Would you mind keeping me updated about the progress? I have about 200 mods installed and if one of them really is a resource hog, I might consider getting rid of it.

I installed every mod I am playing with, last one being AVP. This is the one which kills my framerate but things are better than earlier. I thought I had made a clean install previously but it appears it was not. So nothing has to be claimed against Scatterer on my side.

Edited by OnlyLightMatters

On 4/30/2020 at 9:42 AM, Arco123 said:

AVP is one the of worst for framerates.

SVE Is usually the best.

Spectra is even better. 

Sorry for the late reply.

I tested all of these, and Spectra works best for me. It looks gorgeous, and framerate is pretty nice,

On 5/1/2020 at 8:50 PM, blackrack said:

- Change the ocean mesh resolution from the default value of 4 to 8 or 16, this makes the ocean mesh less dense, but the difference is not noticeable with the default calm ocean setting (in fact I should probably change the default value of this that I ship)

I changed the other settings in the config file, as recommended :). But where do I find this setting?

1 hour ago, FasterThanFlourite said:

I changed the other settings in the config file, as recommended :). But where do I find this setting?

In the planet's ocean settings file. If you use stock scatterer in scatterer/config/Kerbin/ocean.cfg (if I recall correctly), if you use another mod in the config they ship.

On 4/22/2020 at 12:14 AM, plakman said:

Hello there, (i also put this on github including log file)

I just tried ckan and i have an issue with the latest shatterer.
Before i was using RTB his version wich worked great.

i tried shatterer alone without spectra and have thesame issue.

I am playing on the latest steam version.
now i have this issue:

Reveal hidden contents

Mods installed:

Reveal hidden contents

6D2apPh.png

Note that you're going to have problems down the road if you keep both Spectra and the EVE sample configs (boulderco) installed.

On 5/1/2020 at 8:50 PM, blackrack said:

Here's what you can do:

[...]

Let me know what kind of performance increases you see with these settings, I expect you to hit at least 42-55 FPS.

I changed all the settings as you suggested. The FPS hovers around 40 FPS, but rarely more. What's interesting is that the GPU usage of the GTX 1070 is barely at 50% with those changes. Looks like the my Ryzen 5 1600 AF is limiting and not allowing me to get over the 40 FPS.

8 hours ago, FasterThanFlourite said:

I changed all the settings as you suggested. The FPS hovers around 40 FPS, but rarely more. What's interesting is that the GPU usage of the GTX 1070 is barely at 50% with those changes. Looks like the my Ryzen 5 1600 AF is limiting and not allowing me to get over the 40 FPS.

What kind of ship are you launching? Do you have some mods that are heavy on the CPU installed?

On 5/6/2020 at 3:00 PM, FasterThanFlourite said:

Currently still ships below 30 parts, as I haven't unlocked the level 2 VAB in hard mode career yet.

I am running KSP 1.9.1, with about 200 mods installed through CKAN (all the most common ones).  I'm not sure whether there are particularly CPU-intensive ones.

I've had a performance issue with Trajectories in 1.9.1 - try uninstalling that to see if the situation improves.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:06 PM, LucasSousa353 said:

https://imgur.com/a/2i70HF8

Hello! Does someone knows a fix for this bug? It starts to happen exactly at 20000ft above the ocean and dissapears at more or less 60000

I'm almost sure it is due the Scatterer. When I enable Ocean Shader, the sky becomes black and the ocean, in any altitude ASL, becomes buggy like that.

The visuals mods I'm using are: AVP, EVE and Scatterer.

I am running into the same height effect as seen in the image. Not to sure about the upper limit when it disappears seems higher because I see it in LKO but definitely the 20km altitude limit. Below that limit and in timewarp all looks normal. 

Also running Spectra with it's dependencies so I don't know if the problem lies with them or with Scatterer. 

Is anyone familiar with the issue? And knows where I could go for support?

On 5/7/2020 at 10:25 PM, blackrack said:

Yeah, uhm... you're on your own :P

Slightly reduced modlist now.

Still above 200. I don't understand how someone could have less. How do you manage to play with less? I nearly consider all of those mods essential :D .

I tried reducing it even further in the attempt to find out what causes the game to crash after about an hour with the access violation error message I mentioned some time back. Turns out it wasn't scatterer, as even when deinstalling it the game crashes on a scene change.

I'm not sure, I read that it could be caused by too much alt-tabbing (which I do every few minutes).

After removing some mods, the FPS seem to be up now at ~55 FPS  2560x1440 with the standard scatterer options (instead of ~30 FPS). Could have been that the previously installed KS3P had caused that FPS drop. This now seems much more in line with the numbers you gave @blackrack.

Edited by FasterThanFlourite