[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

This is awesome, but i guess there's nothing you can do to fix the black space when you pass 6km mark?

I've had this bug reported many times but I've never had it happen. I think it should be easy to fix I just haven't looked into it yet. So everything in space goes completely black after 6km right? no stars, no sun no moon?

I just tried this on a basic 1.0.2 install with no other visual mods and using the default settings in dx9, looks fantastic. Well done!

One thing I have noticed is it seems to break the thermal overlay (the F11 one that shows the vessel in colors from red to white based on their temps). Activating the overlay with this mod installed has no effect, the image of the vessel does not change at all.

I'll look into this, tbh with you guys I don't even play much with 1.0+.

Hmmm... I never thought about that one. You could manually populate the entries, or you could split the config items into sub-classes and load them individually. Keep in-mind, the configs are organized not by file, but by config node.

Well, I wanted to have different config files for the different planets so that people can just switch planets or copy the planets they want from packs/compilations/whatever without having to do any copypasting inside huge config files. Anyway, I'm using the new xmlreader thing (KSP.IO.PluginConfiguration) I haven't tried the old method. Anyway, is there a good example of the KSP implementation with the [persistent] tags done somewhere so I could take from it?

Edited by blackrack

@Blackrack - If you feel as if your hobby is becoming more of a job make sure you take a break and come up for some air. Ever see Men and Black 3? Go eat some pie and the solutions you need will come to you. Or in this case play some KSP. ( without scatterer )

Hi there,

You may already be aware of this, but nobody has use the word Kopernicus in this thread yet so... this happens when you combine Scatterer and Kopernicus, in OpenGL mode :confused:

Rqdw5ef.jpg

Apparently some sort of transparency issue; I also get a pink box around the "loading..." message on scene transitions too. Doesn't happen without Scatterer, doesn't happen in DX9 mode (but it does hit a memory wall :blush:).

Thank you for the work so far though; Scatterer really does make Kerbin look so much prettier! One of those "should be stock" mods. Er, when you've had time to settle it in maybe :)

Cheers!

@Blackrack - If you feel as if your hobby is becoming more of a job make sure you take a break and come up for some air. Ever see Men and Black 3? Go eat some pie and the solutions you need will come to you. Or in this case play some KSP. ( without scatterer )

Actually I really enjoy spending time on the mod, it doesn't feel like a job, the problem is I have very limited time to work on it these days. But when I do have time I really enjoy it.

Hi there,

You may already be aware of this, but nobody has use the word Kopernicus in this thread yet so... this happens when you combine Scatterer and Kopernicus, in OpenGL mode :confused:

http://i.imgur.com/Rqdw5ef.jpg

Apparently some sort of transparency issue; I also get a pink box around the "loading..." message on scene transitions too. Doesn't happen without Scatterer, doesn't happen in DX9 mode (but it does hit a memory wall :blush:).

Thank you for the work so far though; Scatterer really does make Kerbin look so much prettier! One of those "should be stock" mods. Er, when you've had time to settle it in maybe :)

Cheers!

Is this that mod that generates planets? Ayway, I don't plan to support mods like this yet, let me first get scatterer working well enough with the base game, that way I can keep my sanity.

Edited:

I just saw this pic and thought it'd be great if there was a way to change the clouds color at sunset/sunrise.

11120076_819222651503050_3180820701727036223_n.jpg?oh=771d2f81c82b73c3c93591371d8352cd&oe=55BED43F

Edited by blackrack

@Blackrack - That's good. Just giving you heads up if you ever start feeling that way. It happens a lot. Modders often work themselves into the ground and don't even get to enjoy the piece of software there modding.

And thank you for your hard work on this. Slowly, but surely KSP is becoming the best looking game on pc. Can't wait for the released version of this mod, but like I said just make sure you do it at a pace that keeps it feeling like a hobby.

@Blackrack - That's good. Just giving you heads up if you ever start feeling that way. It happens a lot. Modders often work themselves into the ground and don't even get to enjoy the piece of software there modding.

And thank you for your hard work on this. Slowly, but surely KSP is becoming the best looking game on pc. Can't wait for the released version of this mod, but like I said just make sure you do it at a pace that keeps it feeling like a hobby.

Thanks, I admit I sort of started feeling like that a few weeks ago, I couldn't stop thinking about the mod and ways to improve it/do things differently all the time (sometimes even thinking about it in my sleep) and it was growing into a sort of obsession. But then lots of stuff changed in real-life and it balanced itself out. I definitely understand what you're talking about but that's bound to happen with a hobby like this that really absorbs you.

Well, I wanted to have different config files for the different planets so that people can just switch planets or copy the planets they want from packs/compilations/whatever without having to do any copypasting inside huge config files. Anyway, I'm using the new xmlreader thing (KSP.IO.PluginConfiguration) I haven't tried the old method. Anyway, is there a good example of the KSP implementation with the [persistent] tags done somewhere so I could take from it?

had to dig around a bit, but found the guide I used here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/1265-An-Adventure-in-Plugin-Coding-7-Thanks-for-the-Persistence

blackrack, you may want to take a look at the FlightGear flight simulator's atmospheric light scattering implementation. They only have to handle a single planet, but it does it quite well.

It's about the same as the proland implementation (which scatterer is based on) with a few weather additions. In scatterer there are problems added by the fact that the shader works in postprocessing and by trying to give kerbin a realistic earth look while having the scale completely off.

Thanks a lot, this will definitely be very useful.

Edited by blackrack

Thanks, I admit I sort of started feeling like that a few weeks ago, I couldn't stop thinking about the mod and ways to improve it/do things differently all the time (sometimes even thinking about it in my sleep) and it was growing into a sort of obsession. But then lots of stuff changed in real-life and it balanced itself out. I definitely understand what you're talking about but that's bound to happen with a hobby like this that really absorbs you.

I cant even imagine on how to start writing a program for a mod in the first place!:confused:

This is one of those mods that changes and does very little to the game, but creates an impact so huge that you just can't play the damn game without it. Looking forward to future updates, Black

Is this that mod that generates planets? Ayway, I don't plan to support mods like this yet, let me first get scatterer working well enough with the base game, that way I can keep my sanity.

hey look he took a picture of my pack, haha! yeah I've been following this since the first post, Kopernicus is a mod that allows for extremely well done custom planets (it's planetfactory/rss/kittopia all rolled into one with more features). Take you're time blackrack, all the planet pack creators are pretty patient :wink: I'll get this going for my packs one day hopefully, but i agree with you that you should focus on getting the base game as stable as possible before adding compatibility with planet packs......

That's completely fair :)

Given the loading screen transparency=pink issue though, I suspect it's just that nothing else in KSP is bothering to do any and that the problem's an overall thing for OpenGL. Totally understand focussing on DX9 and pure stock though, I'll just look forward to the day when all mods work together in glorious harmony :)

That's completely fair :)

Given the loading screen transparency=pink issue though, I suspect it's just that nothing else in KSP is bothering to do any and that the problem's an overall thing for OpenGL. Totally understand focussing on DX9 and pure stock though, I'll just look forward to the day when all mods work together in glorious harmony :)

I think both Blackrack and I have to rebase our shaders off the KSP ones. This might be causing the issue seen.

Hey I was wondering if you had any luck figuring out that problem you discovered about a week back?

So apparently, the atmosphere looking too thick from orbit is a bug that found it's way in (among many other bugs) when I ported the shaders to dx9.

We all just dismissed it as the atmosphere being too dense because we thought it made sense.

Anyway if you need a personal cheer up, feel free to let us know.

Hey I was wondering if you had any luck figuring out that problem you discovered about a week back?

Anyway if you need a personal cheer up, feel free to let us know.

Yeah, I'm sad to report it was a false alarm, that bug only happened in unity because I didn't recompile the terrain and ocean shaders in that particular copy of the project to work without compute shaders, the atmosphere was working fine but the ocean and terrain shaders were basically loading empty scattering tables. I got too excited and posted about it because it looked a bit like what kerbin looked like from orbit and I thought it'd fix the atmosphere being too thick. I then loaded up the KSP shaders in that same project and they worked fine. Even tried adding the "bug" in the KSP postprocessing shader to see if it had a different result and it did :/

Registered more or less just to say this: Brilliant work, this adds massively to the game IMHO. Now I have to go visit every planet again.

Only kerbin is supported right now (unless you use the config tool for one modified planet every time). I'm working on fixing the memory leak right now and will add multiple planets right after.

Does everybody else get this hexagonal effect above 200km over Kerbin?

http://i.imgur.com/L2uOX4Z.png

I do! At least most of the time ... above a certain altitude it starts disappearing again

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't aware this mod added black holes to the game.

http://i.imgur.com/AL3510v.png

EDIT:

Oh my goooooooooooooooood

http://i.imgur.com/QJHzXPA.png

The latter is more of a white hole ...

Edited by Bizz Keryear

And how do I do that? Via AMD control panel or within KSP? I am not good with computer..

I would have thought you could do this via the control panel but I had a look on my wifes computer and there isn't a disable option (only force 2-16)

Maybe it's controlled by the ingame render quality slider in the graphics panel, I think someone said setting this to 'fastest' worked?