[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Again, something is almost making me want to come back to this game.

Glad to see a proper mod for what our E.V.E packs were trying to create.

Yeah, it's a shame Rbray is gone. This mod is looking amazing, so hopefully we can have something better than EVE in the future.

Holy kerbal, this is simply amazing. I logged into the forum after I don't know how long to give you rep. Keeping an eye on this for sure (such a shame I am stuck in 0.24 because 0.90 does not love Macs much...).

Holy kerbal, this is simply amazing. I logged into the forum after I don't know how long to give you rep. Keeping an eye on this for sure (such a shame I am stuck in 0.24 because 0.90 does not love Macs much...).

Guess what, it works in 0.24 ;)

I'll get around to it... eventually. I haven't worked on it today because I had too much fun just flying around sightseeing in kerbin.

9XQdA3A.jpg

Excellent progress!

There's an odd sense of transparency in the above image. I can't quite place why. It seems to be a mix of the haze colour lightening with distance from the camera and approaching the colour of the horizon, and the way the haze reduces with altitude, making the hills fade as they approach the tops of the ones in front of them.

It may be due to the time of day. Looking at other images and playing around with Google Earth's atmospheric effects, the sky colour seems to pick up a red tint towards the distant horizon, giving it a slight grey-brown appearance as it mixes with the blue:

screen_20061211_mountains.jpg

700633main_ED12-0306-10.jpg

Edited by pizzaoverhead

Will offer the mod the possibility of tweaking parameters (via GUI or settings file)?

Could be used in other planets, even the huge ones like Jool?

I was waiting for your license too.

I love this. If I can help you in any task (arts, settings or tests), just tell me.

Excellent progress!

There's an odd sense of transparency in the above image. I can't quite place why. It seems to be a mix of the haze colour lightening with distance from the camera and approaching the colour of the horizon, and the way the haze reduces with altitude, making the hills fade as they approach the tops of the ones in front of them.

You're correct about this, in that image the layers of mountains are close together, but the problem is that the atmosphere is rather low and the color of the terrain approaching the horizon is waay too close to that of the sky.

You can see it in this pic where I removed the sky, the mountains are just too light.

gWKZPKi.jpg

I think in real-life it's darker, this is just about getting the settings righ now.

Will offer the mod the possibility of tweaking parameters (via GUI or settings file)?

Could be used in other planets, even the huge ones like Jool?

I was waiting for your license too.

I love this. If I can help you in any task (arts, settings or tests), just tell me.

Yes, I will add the possiblity of making your own config and adding atmosphere to any planet.

Getting a lot of errors trying to use this. When I load into a game, the camera is stuck in an odd view of the KSC and the following error occurs multiple times in the log

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
at scatterer.Manager.SetUniforms (UnityEngine.Material mat) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at scatterer.Manager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at scatterer.Core.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Upon exiting to main menu, I'm unable to click anything.

full log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g367pay79hzyhbs/output_log.scattering.errors.zip?dl=1

Getting a lot of errors trying to use this. When I load into a game, the camera is stuck in an odd view of the KSC and the following error occurs multiple times in the log

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
at scatterer.Manager.SetUniforms (UnityEngine.Material mat) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at scatterer.Manager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at scatterer.Core.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Upon exiting to main menu, I'm unable to click anything.

full log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g367pay79hzyhbs/output_log.scattering.errors.zip?dl=1

Which OS are you running? I've been getting lots of similar reports on OSX and linux, I have a few several wonky implementations that get stuff from cameras and I suspect these are the main culprits, I'll try to fix this as soon as I can.

Which OS are you running? I've been getting lots of similar reports on OSX and linux, I have a few several wonky implementations that get stuff from cameras and I suspect these are the main culprits, I'll try to fix this as soon as I can.

It's Windows 8.

To me it feels just a little bit too "thick", what does it look like if you turn down the intensity of the fog a little bit?

Right now you can't turn down the intensity, you can scale it up or down but it messes up because it's related to the planet's scale. Right now the only solution is to generate a separate scattering table for the ground with the settings turned down. I haven't tried it yet but it may or may not result in decreased performance.

I tried the easy way by just editing transparency but it doesn't look good at all.

Cool!! Does it work from other planets? It would be super amazing if you could get Jool as well the Sun to scatter when on Laythe :). I'll be looking to using this for my future vids possibly!

Edited by Avera9eJoe

blackrack, I've taken the liberty of adding the license to your OP as required, please add a copy of it to the .zip you've packaged for download, as requested here.

Sorry to be a stickler about this, but these rules protect both our community and the rights of modders.

Alright, gonna do this now, at least you know how insisting you are :P

Edited: Done, download link moved to kerbalstuff.

Cool!! Does it work from other planets? It would be super amazing if you could get Jool as well the Sun to scatter when on Laythe :). I'll be looking to using this for my future vids possibly!

The jool thing might be hard to do, but if all else fails we could just play around with transparency.

Edited by blackrack

Damn and I was there thinking those screens were fakes! Nice!!

If you're talking about that one random screen on reddit two weeks ago... I threw that together in photoshop when I first started working on this mod to generate hype. So yeah :)

Edited by blackrack

I'm getting the same error that other Linux/Mac users are getting. Heres part of the log. I'm going to hazard a guess that it's the OpenGL issue, but I'm not sure.

[EXC 19:39:03.408] IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "/home/swtwtrgrad/Desktop/KSP_RSS/GameData/scatterer\ReplacementShaders/CompiledPQSProjectionSurfaceQuad.shader".
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options)
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean isAsync, Boolean anonymous)
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access)
scatterer.ShaderTool.GetShader2 (System.String resource)
scatterer.ShaderReplacer.GetShaderFromName (System.String name)
scatterer.ShaderReplacer.ReplaceShader (UnityEngine.Material mat)
scatterer.ShaderReplacer.GameSceneLoaded (GameScenes scene)
EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data)
HighLogic.LoadScene (GameScenes scene)
Game.Start ()
MainMenu.ConfirmLoadGame ()
MainMenu.DrawLoadGame (Int32 id)
UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

I'm getting the same error that other Linux/Mac users are getting. Heres part of the log. I'm going to hazard a guess that it's the OpenGL issue, but I'm not sure.

[EXC 19:39:03.408] IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "/home/swtwtrgrad/Desktop/KSP_RSS/GameData/scatterer\ReplacementShaders/CompiledPQSProjectionSurfaceQuad.shader".
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options)
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean isAsync, Boolean anonymous)
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access)
scatterer.ShaderTool.GetShader2 (System.String resource)
scatterer.ShaderReplacer.GetShaderFromName (System.String name)
scatterer.ShaderReplacer.ReplaceShader (UnityEngine.Material mat)
scatterer.ShaderReplacer.GameSceneLoaded (GameScenes scene)
EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data)
HighLogic.LoadScene (GameScenes scene)
Game.Start ()
MainMenu.ConfirmLoadGame ()
MainMenu.DrawLoadGame (Int32 id)
UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

Looks like there's an inverted "/", is this like a platform-specific thing? Hold on I'll check why it works for the rest of the path.

Edited: Replace your scatterer.dll with this http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=42296570119783257966

Report back if it works and I'll update the link in the OP.

Also, right now the haze shader doesn't work in opengl but you should at least get in game and get the sky shaders.

Edited by blackrack