[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Well, for now you usually have only one planet with effects in the camera, and Jool can do without scatterer - it is easy to simulate it using EVE. Maybe you can just switch overlay from one planet to another on the go?

Yeah I basically have two approaches in mind, this, or having multiple instances that load or unload based on distance to their planet. Neither are hard to implement I just didn't have time yet.

There are also some features I'm working on that would make multiple planets work better:

1.A new way to trick the shaders to render a higher atmosphere - Currently rendering a high atmosphere results in many horizon artifacts and problems, most visible on duna do to it's small size and how much bigger the atmosphere needs to be. This would also allow to change the atmosphere heigh directly ingame.

2.Eclipse detection by raycasting - should be easy.

3.Black sky fix - Lots of users had the black sky issue, I never ran into this myself but when I started playing with multiplanets it started happening and I noticed that some planets are more "susceptible" to it. probably a timing issue.

Try zooming out into orbit then back in. That usually fixes the black sky / non rendered sky for me.

Goign to try this when it happens on another planet, if this works then it may just tell me why it happens or how to fix it.

Edited: Gave this a try and it doesn't seem to actually work.

Edited by blackrack

Scatterer looks great! Except for these black lines. Anybody else seeing them or have any ideas on how to get rid of them? I didn't see anything in this thread that might help.

KSP 1.04 Windows 8.1, OpenGL mode.

http://bryanmyers.dreamhosters.com/scatterblacklines.png

I have just tried out scatterer, looks fine, except i am getting the same result with those black lines.

- - - Updated - - -

ooops... should fo read OP a bit more carfully.

Or Star Destroyers. On another note, kerbin is REALLY bright from orbit... a bit too bright. Where is the setting s to turn it down?

I've found that scatterer makes the 2D ScaledSpace Planet texture way to bright but works alright on PQS land, this was noticed using RSS, but I'm kinda glad it's not just RSS users getting this :P

I've found that scatterer makes the 2D ScaledSpace Planet texture way to bright but works alright on PQS land, this was noticed using RSS, but I'm kinda glad it's not just RSS users getting this :P

This is caused by the simple additive blending, I may have better ways to do this in the future.

Didn't check the OP then :P Blackrack mentions this in the Known Issues section of the OP and how to fix them, plus OpenGL is known to have issues with this, which is also stated in the OP ;D

Thanks for the tip. I found the forceOFFaniso setting, switched it to "true" and now all seems well.

I get a lot of flickering/flashing when I'm in orbit from the post processing. Disabling post processing or changing the alpha to 0 makes it stop but otherwise changing other values doesn't do much. I don't see any mention of anything like it in the thread and it is extremely noticeable (hurts my eyes) so I'm wondering if it's something strange on my side.

I'm running in stock + scatterer, Windows 10, dx9 with a AMD 6870. I'd post a screenshot but it wouldn't be noticeable.

I get a lot of flickering/flashing when I'm in orbit from the post processing. Disabling post processing or changing the alpha to 0 makes it stop but otherwise changing other values doesn't do much. I don't see any mention of anything like it in the thread and it is extremely noticeable (hurts my eyes) so I'm wondering if it's something strange on my side.

I'm running in stock + scatterer, Windows 10, dx9 with a AMD 6870. I'd post a screenshot but it wouldn't be noticeable.

I'm having the same problem. How do you disable post-processing or bring the alpha to 0?

I'm having the same problem. How do you disable post-processing or bring the alpha to 0?

What kind of flickering? What altitude exactly?

I've mostly seen it while in low orbit, and its covering the ocean/water parts of kerbin. Its essentially a constant, sub-second brightening and dimming of the blue parts in Kerbin.

Have in mind that I am also using DOE (default config), PS (default config), EVE (not the wip, low res clouds), Smokescreen/Hotrockets (community config) and Engine Lighting, so it may well be a conflict.

Edited by Dante80

I've mostly seen it while in low orbit, and its covering the ocean/water parts of kerbin. Its essentially a constant, sub-second brightening and dimming of the blue parts in Kerbin.

Have in mind that I am also using DOE (default config), PS (default config), EVE (not the wip, low res clouds), Smokescreen/Hotrockets (community config) and Engine Lighting, so it may well be a conflict.

As far as I know DOE and PS shouldn't conflict, old EVE too. Try to narrow it down further.

Stripped to just new KSP install and scatterer, still there.

Tried to change settings for KSP (vsync, shaders, AA, borderless window, scatter, fallback shaders, edge highlighting etc), still there.

Now downloading drivers for GPU (AMD R280x). Will update post with results.

edit: Latest catalyst drivers are in, still there. No idea what produces the problem.

Would some kind of log help? (sadly I cannot make a video).

Edited by Dante80

Stripped to just new KSP install and scatterer, still there.

Tried to change settings for KSP (vsync, shaders, AA, borderless window, scatter, fallback shaders, edge highlighting etc), still there.

Now downloading drivers for GPU (AMD R280x). Will update post with results.

edit: Latest catalyst drivers are in, still there. No idea what produces the problem.

Would some kind of log help? (sadly I cannot make a video).

I was actually just about to suggest making a video. Did this happen in previous versions? Also is it different from the moire patterns?

I've not been using scatterer for a long time, so I cant really answer that. Also, yes. This is different than moire patterns, those happened to me when I was running with opengl or directX11.

Will try to upload a video now. Give me 10'

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, here it is.

I'm getting the lines in the sky issue. I fixed this in my main computer by disabling anisotropic filtering from the nvidia control panel, but now I'm trying to do the same on a friend's AMD computer and I can't force it off; It's either on or application controlled. Any alternatives for AMD video cards? Like a config file option or something?

So, a quick status update:

I've been really busy IRL lately but I finally had some time for the mod. I fixed the black sky bug (made worse on planets other than kerbin for some reason) and multiplanet support seems to be going well. There will be a short 1-2s "loading" time (similar to the one when you switch fullscreen mode) when approaching a planet but it's not too bad, there will be however a memory spike of about 250-300mb which may just crash your game unexpectedly, that same memory will be freed when you get far away from the planet and the atmosphere unloads. Mapview will only show effects on whichever planet is currently active to avoid memory problems.

I'm working on making the celestial objects and the stars actually scatter through the atmosphere instead of just being displayed "behind" it, this shouldn't make much of a difference for most of the planets but looking at Jool from Laythe should become completely spectacular, we'll see how it goes.

I'm also working on making the atmosphere height adjustable directly ingame, and on eliminating the artifacts/problems that appear when it's set to too high.

Overall it's going good but slow because of real-life.

I've not been using scatterer for a long time, so I cant really answer that. Also, yes. This is different than moire patterns, those happened to me when I was running with opengl or directX11.

Will try to upload a video now. Give me 10'

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, here it is.

Never seen this before so I actually have no idea, will look into it when I can.

I'm getting the lines in the sky issue. I fixed this in my main computer by disabling anisotropic filtering from the nvidia control panel, but now I'm trying to do the same on a friend's AMD computer and I can't force it off; It's either on or application controlled. Any alternatives for AMD video cards? Like a config file option or something?

Go in scatterer UI and press forceOFF aniso (or toggle it in settings.cfg in the scatterer folder) if it doesn't work it's driver-forced.

Edited by blackrack

snip

Aww, that is great news! Regarding multiple planets: Could two instances of Scatterer be active at the same time? Stock does not really offer that many possibilities for this apart from maybe Jool, but it would still be possible to make some great looking things together with Kopernicus.