[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

36 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Hmm, is this running dx9 or OpenGL? Can you try forcing a different mode?

Is this new to the latest version?

DX9. I forced DX11 and that solved the atmosphere issue, but created those black artifacts in the ocean (Bumping the ocean quality to 100 fixed them).

I tested in Dx9 some more, and that issue was only occurring for Kerbin, not for Laythe or Duna.

Also noted a compatibility issue with Distant Objects. The Sun flare is visible through the planet, though I'm not sure if that issue is being caused by EVE or scatterer. Will look in to that some more.

EDIT: And this is new to the latest version. Last version I was running of scatterer was v0.0191 and that worked fine on DX9 (Bar some weird flickering issues that don't seem to be in the new version)

Edited by Binho

Also, another fun bug for you :) Returning to the space center from the in-flight map mode causes the oceans to disappear at the space center. Entering and exiting the VAB/SPH or the science/admin/mission/astronaut complexes doesn't fix the issue, but entering and exiting the tracking station does. Launching a craft also brings the oceans back.

1 minute ago, Senshi said:

Got the same issue as Binho on D3D9, as well as the "sun shines through the planet" thing. From larger distance (Mun orbit), it looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/rUksySs.jpg

Is this with the newest version I uploaded today? If so, revert to the previous one for now and I'll take a look at it.

Edited by blackrack

12 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Ah! Figured the ocean out! I'll send you the info. Basically, I replace the ocean PQS with a "fake" clone that has isFakeBuild permanently set to false. This also leaves all the ocean FX in place as well.

Great news, i'll check it out right away, this should bump the performance up.

2 minutes ago, vwr0527 said:

it's directx 11.0, looking at the Nvidia control panel -> system information. Is there a different place to check?

If you're not adding any command line options (-force-d3d11 or  -force-opengl) to KSP it means you're running directx 9. Alternatively check the debug log, Ctrl+F "[scatterer] detected" and you should find which renderer you're using.

3 minutes ago, blackrack said:

If you're not adding any command line options (-force-d3d11 or  -force-opengl) to KSP it means you're running directx 9. Alternatively check the debug log, Ctrl+F "[scatterer] detected" and you should find which renderer you're using.

Ah, here:

[LOG 14:59:16.942] [Scatterer] Detected Direct3D 9.0c [nvd3dum.dll 10.18.13.5906]

23 minutes ago, vwr0527 said:

Ah, here:

[LOG 14:59:16.942] [Scatterer] Detected Direct3D 9.0c [nvd3dum.dll 10.18.13.5906]

Alright, these files should fix it. Funny enough, this was one of the first bugs I ran into back in April.

https://mega.nz/#!3cJ2jJjQ!rurSNC9jildjOmDOcOv5RGpwly6IJniMrIguJoDeF6Q

It may also fix the "sunglare visible from behind atmo" bug. I'll roll out a proper update once I finish a few things.

Fixed the atmosphere weirdo, but sun glare-through is still present.

http://i.imgur.com/f0fpRUA.jpg

Those black blocks on the left of the atmosphere are caused by JPEG compression, not by the mod, just saying.

Also, the cloudlayer is cutoff on the right there. It's "static on planet".

http://i.imgur.com/vwX1zar.jpg

It's easy enough to fix, though: Switched to map view and back once after above screenshot was taken, and the cloudlayer was "fully there" again. Weird.

Regardless of any issues, I'll use the chance to present my thanks. Your contribution to the graphical enhancement of KSP is absolutely fundamental, much like EVE always has been. I'm absolutely amazed how you make the game so magnificent, especially as it is with very reasonable performance impact for current-gen computers. Time for a donation, Christmas is coming, after all :)

On 04/12/2015, 20:53:59, blackrack said:

Atmosphere height is now tweakable directly ingame, this means you don't have to fiddle with the config tool anymore to make your atmosphere higher, this is mostly good news for mod and config makers.

Also, this allows tweaking the atmo directly to have a blue sky higher up in Kerbin, and to avoid mountains poking through the atmosphere.

x1 , current config:

s1Mm5Be.jpg

x2:

G4ilw1C.jpg

x3:

psbmAWG.jpg

Also, added a workaround for the "line over the horizon" which appears when you make the atmosphere too high relative to the planet.

Before:

jgeOPu6.jpg

After:

jygdUwn.jpg

There's not a fix yet for this problem so all you can do is wait.

Install environmental visual enhancements for the clouds, older versions of the plugin or the game may not be compatible.

Why do I not have these "experimentalAtmoScale" and "experimentalViewDirOffset" options?

46 minutes ago, Senshi said:

Fixed the atmosphere weirdo, but sun glare-through is still present.

http://i.imgur.com/f0fpRUA.jpg

Those black blocks on the left of the atmosphere are caused by JPEG compression, not by the mod, just saying.

Also, the cloudlayer is cutoff on the right there. It's "static on planet".

http://i.imgur.com/vwX1zar.jpg

It's easy enough to fix, though: Switched to map view and back once after above screenshot was taken, and the cloudlayer was "fully there" again. Weird.

Regardless of any issues, I'll use the chance to present my thanks. Your contribution to the graphical enhancement of KSP is absolutely fundamental, much like EVE always has been. I'm absolutely amazed how you make the game so magnificent, especially as it is with very reasonable performance impact for current-gen computers. Time for a donation, Christmas is coming, after all :)

It's probably caused by the new method I'm doing to rescale the atmo.

For the cutoff cloudlayers I think it may be the ignoreProjector tags missing, for some reason unity always puts them back in caps after compile when they're not supposed to. I go into those new files and replace every "IGNOREPROJECTOR"="true" with "IgnoreProjector"="True", that should do it.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

Looking great! (Although, whenever I try to fiddle with the ocean settings I end up with artifact soup. But the provided version looks great enough, so I can live with that.)

Also, perhaps you should put somewhere in the first post that you get the UI with Alt-10/Alt-11. It took me a while to dig that up out of the changelog.  

33 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Hey Blackrack, I just had to do it :)

I can't believe how great everything looks. Really great job with the update!

Awesome, great choice of music too.

10 minutes ago, skykooler said:

Looking great! (Although, whenever I try to fiddle with the ocean settings I end up with artifact soup. But the provided version looks great enough, so I can live with that.)

Also, perhaps you should put somewhere in the first post that you get the UI with Alt-10/Alt-11. It took me a while to dig that up out of the changelog.  

It was already in the OP but at the very bottom. I moved it up.

If you don't want to end up with artifact soup only change omega, windspeed, and AMP. Keep the values reasonable and you can get some really good results.

@Yukon0009 V8jester's Thread. There is spoiler section called " How to hit 60-100 FPS"Sorry V8 for being faster than you this time and also huge thanks to you increasing also my gaming performance! I didn't knew that W10 trying to force ksp using dx12 and that fixed some of my stutters and other weird lags. Many thanks! :)

btw i also made prototype carrier plane with runway only for Blackrack. Smaller planes can takeoff and also land to it. Had difficulties to add any screens or vids before today, but im not giving up. Later guys.

Edited by Murdox

5 minutes ago, katateochi said:

I'd not been playing KSP for a while, just picking it up again and currently running with just EVE and Scatterer installed.  
Just want to say good job @blackrack, scatterer has been greatly improved since I last used it (3-4 few months ago)!! 

Thanks, it was very basic at the time and I had very limited free time for it.

3 hours ago, Aegrim said:

Why do I not have these "experimentalAtmoScale" and "experimentalViewDirOffset" options?

Did you download the newest version I uploaded today?

2 minutes ago, Alkahest said:

I can't tell if this is Scatterer or not, but is anyone else getting this issue?

Fix is in the last page, I'll put it in the OP. I haven't rolled out a proper fixed version yet because I want to finish something first.

Having wierd glitch to my graphic on clean install w/Scatterer. If I'm in cockpit mode and i bank 90 degrees in either direction, it spams the terrain with the super nice water texture. I'd post a screenshot but the new forum doesnt seem to let me upload one. :^P

Running on linux via Steam if that helps. 1920x1080, maxed settings and plenty of RAM.