[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

1 minute ago, blackrack said:

I am but a refresher would be nice anyway :D

OK Im sure ill miss something but others will chime in I'm certain. I think you got some of the bigger issues already, but anyway:

• Black volumetric clouds on some bodies when using clouds with color. (I havent noticed this with stock but i have with OPM and GPP. Probably something with kopernicus)
  • White Caps not showing near the vessel when splashed down. They are visible when descending but the closer you get, they disappear
  • MM support is there, but doesn't work as intended though. All cfgs still get saved to one cfg (Usually Laythe or Duna) when making changes in the GUI.
    • This is probably the biggest headache for modders as it really limits compatibility between visual packs. @Poodmund and I had to kinda jumps through some hoops to get it working properly. I'm sure he has his thoughts on this as well.
  • The halo issue for some Mac and linux gets reported A LOT. lol

I cant think of any more pressing issues at the moment, but like i said, others will chime in im sure. If i think of or notice anything else with the test version, i'll let you know. 

Welcome back btw!

The MM issue, maybe, was the fact that Scatterer's default behavior was set to resave the config files on scene change. Due to some configs using the @ (Edit) node modifier to change existing configs the 're-saving' of the configs perhaps adding in the new, edited config node patch below the existing patch which was causing the configs to double up and all get added to each other within the same nodes. Basically got really messy. I think this was resolved if the option was turned off.

Thats all off the top of my head. It would require verifying that it is the case.

@Galileo, did the issue with coloured (not 255,255,255) EVE cloud layers getting recoloured back to 255,255,255 when 'integrateWithEVEClouds' was enabled get fixed?

Edited by Poodmund

3 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

The MM issue, maybe, was the fact that Scatterer's default behavior was set to resave the config files on scene change. Due to some configs using the @ (Edit) node modifier to change existing configs the 're-saving' of the configs perhaps adding in the new, edited config node patch below the existing patch which was causing the configs to double up and all get added to each other within the same nodes. Basically got really messy. I think this was resolved if the option was turned off.

Thats all off the top of my head. It would require verifying that it is the case.

@Galileo, did the issue with coloured (not 255,255,255) EVE cloud layers getting recoloured back to 255,255,255 when 'integrateWithEVEClouds' was enabled get fixed?

Not with the test version I’ll have to do more testing though

8 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Not with the test version I’ll have to do more testing though

13 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Didn't I add the "EVEIntegration_preserveCloudColors" option for this?

10 hours ago, blackrack said:

I made a few new bug fixes:

-Fixed black sky and disappearing ocean in space center view when reverting sometimes (I hope this also fixes the KSC flood bug, so need testers)

-Fixed Ocean "appearing" on moon and other atmosphere-less bodies in certain conditions

-Properly disable stock sunflares on the new version

-This also includes the refractions nullref-spam fix from above

Testers needed:

https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/raw/a6ae4b4e2d6ffb254d444876388896dc5617951c/scatterer/bin/Release/scatterer.dll

Dear Blackrack,

Thank you again for making this mod, it's outstanding!

I have tested this .dll by copying it over the one provided within the archive:

a) With current version from space dock (dll copied over 0.0320b): Sqrt-fix not working, always halo

b) With last working version (for me 275 preview (3rd download from top on SpaceDock)): No halo, general effects look much nicer, but the space center scene is all black...

17 hours ago, blackrack said:

Didn't I add the "EVEIntegration_preserveCloudColors" option for this?

you did, but it doesn't work as it supposed to on some bodies. It works on the 2d scaled space textures but the volumetric clouds are black.

Hi guys, I am having an issue with scatterer not loading at all when I launch KSP. I am working on getting a RO game started on 1.2.2. My modlist copied from module manager in game is as follows

KSP: 1.2.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
Advanced Jet Engine - 2.8
B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts - 0.40.11
Community Category Kit - 1.2.2
Community Resource Pack - 0.6.6
Connected Living Space - 1.2.4.2
Deadly Reentry - 7.6.0.1
DistantObjectEnhancement - 1.8.1
Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.15.8.1
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.3.2
<b><color=#CA7B3C>Kopernicus</color></b> - 1.2.2.11
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.4
PlanetShine - 0.2.5.2
Procedural Parts - 1.2.11
RCS Build Aid - 0.9.1
RealChute - 1.4.3
RealFuels - 12.2.4
RealSolarSystem - 12.0
RemoteTech - 1.8.6
Saturatable RW - 1.12
SolverEngines - 3.2
TestFlight - 1.8.0.1
TAC Life Support - 0.13

As you can see scatterer isn't on the list. I replaced the planet configs with the ones provided in RSSVE but still nothing. I have used both .0320 and .0320b and neither versions work. Any suggestions?

14 hours ago, Keudn said:

Hi guys, I am having an issue with scatterer not loading at all when I launch KSP. I am working on getting a RO game started on 1.2.2. My modlist copied from module manager in game is as follows

KSP: 1.2.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
Advanced Jet Engine - 2.8
B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts - 0.40.11
Community Category Kit - 1.2.2
Community Resource Pack - 0.6.6
Connected Living Space - 1.2.4.2
Deadly Reentry - 7.6.0.1
DistantObjectEnhancement - 1.8.1
Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.15.8.1
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.3.2
<b><color=#CA7B3C>Kopernicus</color></b> - 1.2.2.11
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.4
PlanetShine - 0.2.5.2
Procedural Parts - 1.2.11
RCS Build Aid - 0.9.1
RealChute - 1.4.3
RealFuels - 12.2.4
RealSolarSystem - 12.0
RemoteTech - 1.8.6
Saturatable RW - 1.12
SolverEngines - 3.2
TestFlight - 1.8.0.1
TAC Life Support - 0.13

As you can see scatterer isn't on the list. I replaced the planet configs with the ones provided in RSSVE but still nothing. I have used both .0320 and .0320b and neither versions work. Any suggestions?

Post your output.log file here. And it looks like scatterer isn't installed or something, 0.320 should work.

On 11/5/2017 at 9:03 AM, blackrack said:

Wouldn't this make it a separate issue from the one poodmund is describing?

Yes, I suppose.  Nevertheless, the black volumetric clouds happen with integration enabled or disabled and with preserveCloudcolors on or not. 

And for peace of mind, the preseveCloudcolor does work well on 2d textures.

4 hours ago, blackrack said:

Post your output.log file here. And it looks like scatterer isn't installed or something, 0.320 should work.

Here is my output.log https://www.mediafire.com/file/db9b2awex1cfoqb/output_log.txt

This is the first time I've had scatterer flat out not initialize, it is definitely installed correctly, here is my gamedata folder as well.https://i.gyazo.com/a022473128ec52fda40b3d88083bd9ce.png

48 minutes ago, tater said:

Is there an adjustment to fix this effect:

wL0VnGZ.png

EVE alone looks fine, but adding scatterer gives that terrible atmospheric edge.

There is an option in the main menu. Sqrt I think it’s called? Toggle that and it’s supposed to fix the issue. It doesn’t seem to work for everyone though.  Also, there is a test version of scatterer. I dunno if it fixes the issue though:

On 10/12/2017 at 12:13 PM, Drew Kerman said:

I don't even see why it should be fixed. It doesn't do any harm at all. Anyways, blackrack did try but it's something sneaky and he has way better things to do than fix a bug that doesn't break anything. Plus with the new water refraction it looks pretty cool I'll say

You've apparently never gone back to KSC to find it completely submerged at night with no buildings visible. It's not "breaking", but nor would it be "breaking" for Scatterer to not work at all, since it's entirely visual. It's a bug and should, eventually, be fixed. If I had to guess, I'd say that the sphere of the ocean is slightly behind or in front of Kerbin in its orbit, but I haven't looked at the code so it's purely a guess based on similar bugs I've seen in EVE.

5 minutes ago, Waz said:

You've apparently never gone back to KSC to find it completely submerged at night with no buildings visible. It's not "breaking", but nor would it be "breaking" for Scatterer to not work at all, since it's entirely visual. It's a bug and should, eventually, be fixed. If I had to guess, I'd say that the sphere of the ocean is slightly behind or in front of Kerbin in its orbit, but I haven't looked at the code so it's purely a guess based on similar bugs I've seen in EVE.

No one commented on whether or not my new dll fixes it so far

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip12213-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v00320-0320b-06072017-water-refraction/&do=findComment&comment=3210887

Anyway, me I haven't been able to reproduce this bug myself in like a year.

Edited: I guess I should just release this as an update and watch if the daily "global warming xD" threads on the KSP subreddit disappear.

Edited by blackrack

53 minutes ago, Waz said:

It's a bug and should, eventually, be fixed

this is true. I shouldn't have said it should never be fixed, just never made a priority to be fixed. It happens to me all the time *shrug* anyways, sounds like blackrack may have finally nailed it, but if not then no big deal

13 hours ago, tater said:

None of the solutions worked for me, sadly.

According to my testing, you can trade it for the floating tiles bug by going back to an older version and then turn off the ocean shader to remove the floating tiles :S See my previous post:

• 320b (1st download link on SpaceDock): Sqrt-fix not working, always halo
  • 315 preview (2nd download from top on SpaceDock): Halo is always there, fix is not doing anything on or off
  • 275 preview (3rd download from top on SpaceDock): Fix Works: Halo is gone with alternate sqrt "off". This is the latest version where I can remove the halo using the sqrt-option.

I'm currently having a problem with oceans right now. It looks like the shoreline for some reason starts out in the ocean, and then when you move the camera or get closer the shoreline will then move into the position it should be in.

https://imgur.com/a/ja26J

I've tried increasing and decreasing the grid size and disabling refractions but it doesn't fix it, only completely disabling the ocean shader gets rid of the problem.

I show my mod list but it still happens even with scatterer being the only mod. Also have my graphics settings shown too. Scatterer settings are the stock configs.

Happens on 320b, as well as 321dev.

Not sure what to do to fix it.