[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

On 9/26/2018 at 7:06 PM, Delay said:

The game is running just fine with it; I just want to get the best out of it, though, in both performance and in the visuals.

Ocean settings can effect fps a lot, you may try changing those and finding optimal results.

• 2 weeks later...

(it's actually working fine, i was making a joke)

So, I have a toaster, and need to play with postprocessing off. How do I make it stop turning back on every time I change scenes? Also how could I make the blue haze (the one that makes the sky glow like earth) visible from lower altitudes i.e. 30km (where you can really tell that kerbin should have a haze by now even though it doesn't until like 100km for some reason)? It does this already in the map view but not in flight for some reason (i'm guessing because in flight relies on post processing which sucks for me)

Edited by Autolyzed Yeast Extract

On 9/26/2018 at 11:42 AM, Starwaster said:

Scatterer uses screen space post processing, like every other game out there except Kerbal Space Program for the past 15+ years. Unless you've got a really low end system, I wouldn't worry about it.

Well, I've got a really low end system, and nobody wants to tell me how to optimize scatterer for my game to run at more than 20fps.

On 10/21/2018 at 3:10 AM, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

Well, I've got a really low end system, and nobody wants to tell me how to optimize scatterer for my game to run at more than 20fps.

Tell me your specs and i can tell if there's hope.

I'm experiencing some issues with Scatterer.

Version: 1.4.5

Problem: Sunflares have suddenly stopped working since rebooting the game an hour ago, but only in flight view, when switching to crafts from the tracking station, and in one specific save;

Mods: I haven't changed any settings, installed/uninstalled any mods or really touched anything for a few days, this bug suddenly started occurring after rebooting the game, I'm hoping this is a known issue and is easily fixable.

Output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lw313e6tj097r9/output_log.txt?dl=0

EDIT: Reinstalled Scatterer, issue persists

Edited by golkaidakhaana

5 hours ago, qromodynmc said:

Tell me your specs and i can tell if there's hope.

Turns out Stock vis enhancements doesn't require scatterer and it has a fake scatter by default (a good one, not like the broken hi performance eve config), game runs at 60fps now. Wish I could learn how to make one myself but so far I guess not. I have a garbage graphics card; GTX 670. I know, it's ancient, my laptop is 6 years old. It was one of the first gaming laptops, back when being able to run skyrim on ultra with heavy mods was considered an achievement. :P

Everything else on my computer is fine. i7, 12 gb ram, etc.

What I mainly want to do is somehow disable the postprocessing or"in atmosphere scatter" and make a fake one.

Edited by Autolyzed Yeast Extract

Is there an easy way to have the scatterer effects visible from higher altitudes in flight scenes? Asking mainly for KSP 1.3.1 with Scatterer 0.0324

That's my only gripe with the mod at the moment, how the effects dissapear ar relatively low altitudes. Would be nice to see them from higher orbit too.

31 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

Yes, use 0.0320b.

Really? I was under the impression that 0.0324 was the continuation of 0.0320b and would fix some issues.

But thanks, I will give it a try.

Edited by Dafni

On 10/16/2018 at 3:25 AM, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

(it's actually working fine, i was making a joke)

So, I have a toaster, and need to play with postprocessing off. How do I make it stop turning back on every time I change scenes? Also how could I make the blue haze (the one that makes the sky glow like earth) visible from lower altitudes i.e. 30km (where you can really tell that kerbin should have a haze by now even though it doesn't until like 100km for some reason)? It does this already in the map view but not in flight for some reason (i'm guessing because in flight relies on post processing which sucks for me)

On 10/22/2018 at 7:21 PM, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

Turns out Stock vis enhancements doesn't require scatterer and it has a fake scatter by default (a good one, not like the broken hi performance eve config), game runs at 60fps now. Wish I could learn how to make one myself but so far I guess not. I have a garbage graphics card; GTX 670. I know, it's ancient, my laptop is 6 years old. It was one of the first gaming laptops, back when being able to run skyrim on ultra with heavy mods was considered an achievement. :P

Everything else on my computer is fine. i7, 12 gb ram, etc.

What I mainly want to do is somehow disable the postprocessing or"in atmosphere scatter" and make a fake one.

GTX 670 is far from being a garbage card, back in the day I was running scatterer on a GTX 560 Ti with ocean and postprocessing and getting 40+ fps... Anyway, does disabling postprocessing really improve your performance? The overhead for the postprocessing itself is so small, I would start by disabling the ocean instead. Unless you have another issue with the mod and it's spamming errors non-stop...

19 hours ago, Dafni said:

Is there an easy way to have the scatterer effects visible from higher altitudes in flight scenes? Asking mainly for KSP 1.3.1 with Scatterer 0.0324

That's my only gripe with the mod at the moment, how the effects dissapear ar relatively low altitudes. Would be nice to see them from higher orbit too.

What issue are you having exactly? 0.0324 should be compatible with 1.3.1

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

GTX 670 is far from being a garbage card, back in the day I was running scatterer on a GTX 560 Ti with ocean and postprocessing and getting 40+ fps... Anyway, does disabling postprocessing really improve your performance? The overhead for the postprocessing itself is so small, I would start by disabling the ocean instead. Unless you have another issue with the mod and it's spamming errors non-stop...

Yes. I have tried disabling both the ocean and the postprocessing and I get o-k FPS, but nowhere near 40, rarely more than 30. This is while I am on the surface of kerbin or in the space center scene. I wouldn't be able to tell you anything more i.e. troubleshoot unless you guided me through it.

4 hours ago, blackrack said:

What issue are you having exactly? 0.0324 should be compatible with 1.3.1

It works fine at low altitude, but the effects disappear at higher orbits. Never checked the exact number, but can't be much more than 100km. Let me check and post screenshots when I am at my PC again. And thanks for your attention.

Edit:

@blackrack okay, here are the screenshots.

At 106km my Kerbin looks like this

bFf3TeC.jpg

And then at 146km

4UKmYLO.jpg

I always assumed this difference is scatterer cutting out at a certain altitude, or am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for your time

Edited by Dafni

24 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Does this issue persist with the default Scatterer configs, because if not, then it is likely an issue with the visual mod's config setup rather than a Scatterer issue?

Oh man, they are SVE configs. Sorry for not mentioning it. Now I feel bad about it. Should have occurred to me. :/ Havent tried stock configs yet.

Apologies for this.

So should I bring this issue to the SVE thread?

Or maybe one of you guys know what line in what config to look at, and maybe change it?

Sorry again for the incomplete information guys. I was under the impression it must be a scatterer problem. Somehow assuming that SVE only provides EVE configs, but yeah, bit of a brain fart here.

Furthermore I cant really remember how it was before 1.3.1, but I seem to have a picture in my mind where Kerbin had that pale blue scattere hue even seen from the Mun. Or am I wrong?

Thanks again for your time, to everybody who read it.

@Dafni it's worth testing with just the Scatterer default configs on your install if possible to see if the issue persists, if it does, then threre may be an underlying issue with Scatterer here... otherwise it is likely that SVE's configs may just need a little tweaking to get a smoother transition 

Edit: To be clear, I cannot remember if SVE changes any of the Scatterer configs or just uses the default ones but I am away from my PC at the moment.

Edited by Poodmund

3 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Dafni OK, this is a different issue that the one that i had in mind. I jumped into assumptions way too early, sorry for that.

It's okay, thanks for your attention nevertheless. Appreciate all input.

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

@Dafni it's worth testing with just the Scatterer default configs on your install if possible to see if the issue persists, if it does, then threre may be an underlying issue with Scatterer here... otherwise it is likely that SVE's configs may just need a little tweaking to get a smoother transition 

Edit: To be clear, I cannot remember if SVE changes any of the Scatterer configs or just uses the default ones but I am away from my PC at the moment.

Thank you. I will test this.

I am also not sure if SVE does something to the scatterer configs, but it is very likely indeed. A good indication here would be the missing sunset orange hue around the terminator, which I believe is there in a clean scatterer install in 1.3.1., but not in an SVE one.

Will double check when I find the time.

Thanks again each and all

cheers

On 10/22/2018 at 5:58 PM, sslaptnhablhat said:

I'm experiencing some issues with Scatterer.

Version: 1.4.5

Problem: Sunflares have suddenly stopped working since rebooting the game an hour ago, but only in flight view, when switching to crafts from the tracking station, and in one specific save;

Mods: I haven't changed any settings, installed/uninstalled any mods or really touched anything for a few days, this bug suddenly started occurring after rebooting the game, I'm hoping this is a known issue and is easily fixable.

Output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lw313e6tj097r9/output_log.txt?dl=0

EDIT: Reinstalled Scatterer, issue persists

I don't wanna be 'that guy', but could someone please help me with my issue?

With reference to issue #40 on the Git repo concerning the visual glitch where the Scatterer effects appear inverted, I can confirm that it occurs when the Anti-Aliasing is turned off via the 'Escape Settings Menu': https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/issues/40#issuecomment-433111415

Here is a video on an otherwise vanilla KSP 1.5.1 install with just Scatterer installed.