[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

6 hours ago, Einstein_Cross_X1 said:

These are all references I have for the project. Fairly certain I shouldn't be missing any unless scatterer itself has its own unique references that aren't included in the dev portion of the github. If you know any references I'm missing any help would be great. Also I'm not sure how you were even able to build the dll in the first place because the code you have in the scatterer.csproj file triggers the outputpath error. 

WGXrZYQ.png

Well, I haven't updated to visual studio, I still use the old monodevelop, didn't feel any need to move away from it, so there might be something different in how it writes the .csproj file. From what I can see it seems you have all the right references, try deleting the csproj file and pretend you're creating a new project then add all the existing files and references.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:29 PM, blackrack said:

You'll need to compile it from the source on github.

I have tried so many times to compile it, and it will not work for me... I have compiled dozens of other mods, but can't get yours. I'm still a Visual Studio newb though :P

Might be getting OT, but is there any point to recompiling the binaries, other than wanting to make custom changes to the code?

I remember in the old Linux days it was often recommended to recompile binaries (especially the kernel) to target the specific hardware available on the machine. Is there still any advantage to that on modern systems, and specifically with KSP?

Thanks

11 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

I have tried so many times to compile it, and it will not work for me... I have compiled dozens of other mods, but can't get yours. I'm still a Visual Studio newb though :P

I will look into making the necessary fixes to the project so that it compiles out of the box for visual studio.

25 minutes ago, Boyanski said:

Doesn't work. This mod used to work perfectly. But now that i have reinstalled the game it does not. 

If you want help, you have to give us more than that.  Following the red labelled link in my signature for troubleshooting instructions.  A description of what you do when starting and running the game, what the game does, and sharing the logs on a file sharing site are almost certainly required for help here.  That link will tell you how to find the logs.

13 hours ago, blackrack said:

I will look into making the necessary fixes to the project so that it compiles out of the box for visual studio.

Thank you so much for this! But to be honest the only reason I've been trying to compile the dev build is because the current version has this really annoying glitch every 3 to 4 seconds that completely freezes the game for about 10 to 15 seconds. Then the debug console shows an error log that says it is rebuilding the ocean and that the anti asling value is too low (saying it must be at least 1). But I have it set to 2 so that shouldn't even be an issue. Also the error mentions replacing an active texture or something. I can get a snapshot of it too if that would help.  

Edited by Einstein_Cross_X1

17 hours ago, Einstein_Cross_X1 said:

Thank you so much for this! But to be honest the only reason I've been trying to compile the dev build is because the current version has this really annoying glitch every 3 to 4 seconds that completely freezes the game for about 10 to 15 seconds. Then the debug console shows an error log that says it is rebuilding the ocean and that the anti asling value is too low (saying it must be at least 1). But I have it set to 2 so that shouldn't even be an issue. Also the error mentions replacing an active texture or something. I can get a snapshot of it too if that would help.  

I think your game is switching between windowed and full screen repeatedly, or if it's fullscreen it's switching from foreground to background back and forth. Try to force either directx11 or glcore, try to change your video settings, try switching to windowed, try closing any programs like fraps or anything that might be jumping up and down/not minimizing correctly, try a video driver update etc...

On 1/19/2019 at 3:43 PM, Turbo Ben said:

My bad, I should have seen that. Report below.

KSP: 1.5.1 Windows 10 64bit

Problem: Very low frame rate and physics clock going yellow. (normally green until 3x acceleration)

Mods installed:

Scatterer 0.0336

Reproduction steps:

Started a new game with all mods removed except a fresh download of scatterer. On load, very low frame rate at KSC. With 2 part ship(small command module and flea engine) flickering yellow clock on launch pad and very low frame rate. Worse during flight, solid yellow clock when camera looking back down at Kerbin.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/itps2rseq5a58xn/output_log.txt?dl=0

On 1/19/2019 at 6:12 PM, blackrack said:

Hmm, nothing seems unusual, can you do tests with resolutions 1920x1080 and 3840*x1080? Both with and without ocean shaders?

Hi, sorry for the delay.

I've tried running a fresh install of scatterer with just one monitor at 1920x1080. Ran very smoothly, excellent frame rate and a launch at 4x speed had solid green physics clock. I haven't tried 2 monitors as it's not that easy to disconnect one of the monitors and I'm not sure I can run accross just 2 monitors. Turns out I can span just 2 monitors, so gave it a go at 3840x1080. Frame rate seemed good and physics clock OK at normal speed. Goes yellow at 2x speed and red at 3x though. Disabling ocean shaders made no noticeable improvement to the physics.

Definately looks like it's just the resolution I'm trying to run, but not sure why stressing the GPU is affecting physics. I'm using Nvidia surround to span all 3 monitors and also using bezel correction if that makes any difference.

If there's anything else you need let me know.

Edited by Turbo Ben

Would anyone be bothered if godrays are disabled for a few releases in favor of:

-fixing horizon black lines/general aliasing around scattering effect https://i.imgur.com/x7Fyp7h.png    https://i.imgur.com/k8AJGIi.png

-fixing scattering effects being incorrect on camera mods (raster prop, telescopes etc)

My understanding is that most people don't really like the current godrays implementation anyway since it's buggy, has gaps in the rays, and often looks too harsh from the wrong angle.

Godrays can then be put back in a future release when compatibility with the new features is added. Agree/disagree?

13 hours ago, EdwardB3020 said:

on eva it looks like slow motion. 

Please check the OP on how to report an issue correctly, this doesn't really tell me much.

On 2/5/2019 at 7:37 PM, Turbo Ben said:

Hi, sorry for the delay.

I've tried running a fresh install of scatterer with just one monitor at 1920x1080. Ran very smoothly, excellent frame rate and a launch at 4x speed had solid green physics clock. I haven't tried 2 monitors as it's not that easy to disconnect one of the monitors and I'm not sure I can run accross just 2 monitors. Turns out I can span just 2 monitors, so gave it a go at 3840x1080. Frame rate seemed good and physics clock OK at normal speed. Goes yellow at 2x speed and red at 3x though. Disabling ocean shaders made no noticeable improvement to the physics.

Definately looks like it's just the resolution I'm trying to run, but not sure why stressing the GPU is affecting physics. I'm using Nvidia surround to span all 3 monitors and also using bezel correction if that makes any difference.

If there's anything else you need let me know.

Sorry, I'm not really sure what's going on. It does seem like the GPU is not keeping up, but I always thought the physics and the rendering would run on separate threads, it baffles that a drop in performance should slow down in-game time and not just lower framerate while keeping in-game time running correctly.

Btw, if you're willing to wait, next release will improve GPU performance a bit, I will release some numbers in the next few weeks.

Edited by blackrack

27 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Would anyone be bothered if godrays are disabled for a few releases in favor of:

-fixing horizon black lines/general aliasing around scattering effect https://i.imgur.com/x7Fyp7h.png    https://i.imgur.com/k8AJGIi.png

-fixing scattering effects being incorrect on camera mods (raster prop, telescopes etc)

My understanding is that most people don't really like the current godrays implementation anyway since it's buggy, has gaps in the rays, and often looks too harsh from the wrong angle.

Godrays can then be put back in a future release when compatibility with the new features is added. Agree/disagree?

Agree! Please, go ahead! And many thanks in advance

On 2/9/2019 at 2:12 PM, blackrack said:

Sorry, I'm not really sure what's going on. It does seem like the GPU is not keeping up, but I always thought the physics and the rendering would run on separate threads, it baffles that a drop in performance should slow down in-game time and not just lower framerate while keeping in-game time running correctly.

Btw, if you're willing to wait, next release will improve GPU performance a bit, I will release some numbers in the next few weeks.

Well I've just pulled the trigger on an RTX 2070, so if it's GPU related, that should fix it. I'll post up results once I have it fitted. Might be a while though, my case is less than conventional. I made it out of wood lol

On 2/9/2019 at 7:12 AM, blackrack said:

Please check the OP on how to report an issue correctly, this doesn't really tell me much.

Cool as godrays are, I have the same opinion of them here as I do when they're used in artwork: They're easily overdone and when they are, they overshadow everything else and render half the visual stuff irrelevant, if not break its realism outright.

Good riddance, basically.

Edited by Nebbie
typo

On 2/9/2019 at 9:12 AM, blackrack said:

If it's temporary.

I wasn't aware 'most' people don't like them. News to me. Honestly, they're a big part of what drew me to Scatterer in the first place. 

I have the RTX 2070 fitted and am happy to report that my frame rate is silky smooth and the physics clock is solid green except at 4x acceleration. Even then it's only the odd yellow tick. Expensive way of getting scatterer to work though lol

21 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

COOL! You should post a pic :)

I've already been told off once for going off topic, so I've started a thread:

On 2/9/2019 at 7:12 AM, blackrack said:

My personal opinion, is, 'yes, please!'.  Especially if the 'fixing scattering effects being incorrect on camera mods (raster prop, telescopes etc)'  will also fix up the scattering effects on the Reflection Probe that is now used in flight-scene for the new Stock PBR'ish shader (Mapped Specular I think it is called).

Though I must also say that the god-rays and volumetric shadowing effects it created could be quite enjoyable (and impressive!) in some scenarios/scenes/areas, so I would definitely miss them in the long-run.