[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Do those planets (especially Saturn) really have blue tinged edges that are that noticeable? I'm no expert, but could it look like that because of telescope or camera related reasons?

Saturn DEFINITELY does. Mars does as well, however whenever you see blue skies on the surface of Mars, that's because they have been white-balanced so they look like Earth colors so they are more comparable to Earth geology. The skies of Mars are, in fact, orange-brown and not blue (except at sunset and sunrise where it is blue, and sometimes when there's water ice clouds that makes it purple-ish.

Source

Oh the potential :) Its really going to be great when we can have multiple planets with scatterer at the same time. So hey. I reproduced the "breaking" of scatterer that allows me to use a custom asset file lens flare. Specifically it was either a single mod, the way I closed the game. Or a combo of the two. But the sequence of events was. Install "quick hide" open the "alt-F11" window in flight "alt-tab" out of the game and close it by right clicking it in the start bar. Next load. Black sky with scroll out to fix and a working lens flare. Not sure if any of this info helps you or not. But I thought I'd pass it on.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q561/chadro_6963/Screenshot%20from%202015-11-13%20052001.png

Getting this problem after installing Scatterer for RSS and using EVE/RVE overhaul. There is harsh borders as you can see, plus there is a black halo around the sun. I removed the clouds so you guys can see the problem better.

Honestly i think that's gorgeous, a bug maybe... but its very pretty.

Tried several Jool configs, my favourite is still the blue-green Jool I got by accident

http://imgur.com/a/TsyB8

What do you guys think?

Amazing work. I love 3 and 4. The weird one, especially. Much less saturated, much more realistic for my taste.

Anyways, as we say in Spain: "for tastes are the colors". ;)

Maybe it's less impressive than some other Jool I saw (KSPRC or SVE), but it's rather beautiful!!! Congratulations

Is because this is just the scattering with the stock texture.

Wait to see the same in a procedural Jool... :D

Edited by Proot

It looks like I might be busy this week, I wanted to fix the transition from ground to orbit, and also the various artifacts before making a release. But rather than keeping you all waiting, I thought I might as well release what I have now. As it's already not too bad. The big feature being multiple planet support.

A few things to keep mind:

-Ground and high orbit both look beautiful but the transition between is ugly and wonky, I'll work on this.

-No custom textures release at this time, so Kerbin will look more bland than some of the screenshots I showed

-I deleted Jool configs by mistake and I'm too tired to re-do them now, so for now everyone has to make do with the light-blue-green Jool and the blue-green Jool. DO NOT COMPLAIN.

-Duna has some horizon artifacts

-Laythe is reusing Kerbin's config

-RSS compatibility is dodgy, for some people (including me) it works, for others it doesn't, it's something I will fix soon

-The mod should use 300-400mb of RAM and OpenGL but not more, this may be further slimmed down later.

-The mod no longer uses .xml files for the planet settings, instead each planet has it's own settings in it's own folder in a settings.cfg file, it now has both the config points and the atmospheric properties settings. The config tool hasn't been updated for this yet so you may need to copy the relevant values manually if generating new settings

-Affected planets and at which distance they get loaded and unloaded is stored in a new PlanetsList.cfg file

-If generating custom atmos, the extinction shader may break, I wrote on this, some values seem to work fine.

Also, I ran into the bug where the extinction/tint shader wouldn't work with custom configs, it seems it's triggered by some atmosphere height values, using the values currently used for Kerbin (Rg = 600000, Rt = 608490.4, RL = 608632, HR = 10, HM = 1.2) and changing the color values works fine which is weird (keep in mind these are't the default values of the config tool).

I believe this is a problem with the extinction shader so I'll look into it later.

I will be uploading a build to Kerbalstuff in a few minutes.

Edited by blackrack

For now, no. You can try creating your own config points to disable the effects at the altitudes where banding appear but it's not really a proper solution.

D'aw. But okeedokey. Its not too big of an issue because it only occurs at certain altitudes and angles (and seeing as I spend most of the time in IVA anyway, when I hit these locations I typically can't see the surface anyway)