[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Nice video, anyway, you seem to be puzzled about what post processing is. Post processing just means the effect is added to the frame after the frame is done rendering, like an image effect you'd add in photoshop. The haze is done this way. This has two main implications:

1-The effect applies to everything and it's much easier to make it work with everything than setting up a separate shader for every element.

2-The effect is applied over a rendered image so this may not always play nice, clouds for example would turn completely blue the moment they pass in front of a mountain.

It's mostly for debugging. The "toggle postprocessing" button is the only one you need.

Thanks for the explanation! I figured it had something to do with "after" just because "post" was in it, although I didn't want to say anything I wasn't sure of in the video. I can't wait for more updates to the mod!

I made a config tool, it allows you to change the atmosphere properties, generate new .raw files (this is the precomputed data that the shaders use to render the effect inexpensively in real-time) and an .xml file that goes into the mod folder.

This tool only works in dx11 because it uses compute shaders, it gives you a nice 3d preview, you just adjust the settings and hit generate, transfer the .raw files and the .xml file in the tool folder to the mod folder and you get a new atmosphere.

You can set it to work on any planet by typing it's name in the planet name field, the planet you choose gets the new atmosphere and the other planets retain stock atmosphere. However, most planets have their problems, laythe doesn't write to the depthbuffer so postprocessing is messed up and duna is messed up in several ways but it sort of works if you scale up the atmosphere. EVE seems to work well.

RSS should now work ( I tested with 6.4x KSP and it works), however in my experience, it doesn't look good because these mods make the terrain extremely flat.

Two UI settings are very useful to both RSS and stock planets that aren't Kerbin, Atmosphere Global Scale allows you to modify the scale of the atmosphere, as if the planet was bigger or smaller for both the sky and the postprocessing, postprocessing scale is the same setting but for postprocessing only.

Black circle around the sun is fixed but may act up with some custom configs. Postprocessing is now enabled by default and doesn't mess up when switching scenes or opening map view.

Here's an example of what you can do with the config tool:

GGCwDqj.jpg

And the result in KSP:

GEiwBoB.jpg

yA9XJGW.jpg

Hope you guys can come up with some good configs, I'll be adding the links and a few explanations in the OP shortly. Have fun.

Edited: I also switched it to .NET 3.5 so this may fix a few issues some people are facing.

Edited by blackrack

VFAZX2C.jpg

Impressive. Seriously. Many thanks and kudos.

I haven't time yet to try the tool to create new atmos, but I will post a little review as soon as I can.

Things I still miss:

- The effect in the map view.

- It seems fully compatible now with EVE and WIP EVE, but still redender the scattering over the clouds, so you can't see the clouds if you aren't very, very close.

Could you render the scatter "under" the clouds layers? Or maybe over them, using the dispersion effect style over the physical objects? Is that possible?

(I know I'm requesting compatibility features with a bit outdated mod and his WIP version, so please don't be mad with me, lol)

Things I still miss:

- The effect in the map view.

- It seems fully compatible now with EVE and WIP EVE, but still redender the scattering over the clouds, so you can't see the clouds if you aren't very, very close.

Could you render the scatter "under" the clouds layers? Or maybe over them, using the dispersion effect style over the physical objects? Is that possible?

(I know I'm requesting compatibility features with a bit outdated mod and his WIP version, so please don't be mad with me, lol)

For me personally, the effect in the map view is not a very important feature, especially since it hides the continents and makes it difficult to see where you're landing but it will be added after the mod works in scaled space. About the clouds, not sure, the way postprocessing works in unity it may not be possible. If I can get the clouds to write white to the depth buffer after everything else is done writing it'll work but I don't know if that's feasible, we'll see how it goes.

Is there a fix for the 'pale blue sphere' which Kerbin turns into if you go too high?

This will be the object of the next update.

I... What...

WOW :):confused:

This would look amazing in jumbo 32! Also, can you post an album of descending to Eve with heavy purple haze? (heh)

Have some rep!

SmallFatFetus

I see what you did there.

I made this config in two minutes so it doesn't look very good and the color and atmosphere height are way overdone but here you go:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

obligatory album music

If anyone wants to try this config or "reverse-engineer" it http://wikisend.com/download/727486/Eve%20haze%20config.zip

Edited by blackrack

It's an incredible mod, but there are some bugs that make it difficult to use correctly. Maybe add the possibility to toggle the custom sunglare.

I hope this mod will grow and i'll use it when more advanced,

it looks pretty difficult so good luck ;)

It's an incredible mod, but there are some bugs that make it difficult to use correctly. Maybe add the possibility to toggle the custom sunglare.

I hope this mod will grow and i'll use it when more advanced,

it looks pretty difficult so good luck ;)

With the new version the sunglare toggles automatically, is the bug still happening in the new version? Also, the mod can't be "used correctly" right now as there are many areas where it still doesn't work.

That green sunrise/sunset is perfect. Magic of wavelenghts :cool:

Yeah, physics are magic.

The black circle doesn't appear anymore :)

One return i can do, is the sun does not perfectly follow the movement of camera, it moves little in the direction of the movement then takes its place back, but it is made in a time very court, what gives the impression of a vibration of the sun when we move.

And maybe this mod can be used with "graphics pack", allowing to each to set some diffrents parameters to the atsmosphere

I added a new setting that allows the highest mountains to retain their colors, this allows for the snowy peaks to be seen from space, however it doesn't look very good because of the low-quality textures.

Before:

e1qdO8w.jpg

After:

Z6pMcpQ.jpg

The black circle doesn't appear anymore :)

One return i can do, is the sun does not perfectly follow the movement of camera, it moves little in the direction of the movement then takes its place back, but it is made in a time very court, what gives the impression of a vibration of the sun when we move.

And maybe this mod can be used with "graphics pack", allowing to each to set some diffrents parameters to the atsmosphere

Yeah the movement thing is a well known issue, I'm considering ways of fixing it. The graphics packs thing is the reason I made the config tool.

Edited: I did some additional tweaking and I'm going to need you guys to tell me which looks better.

Old config:

dWCcKyr.jpg

New config:

IBavitD.jpg

Old config from space:

ngW8nHR.jpg

New config from space:

37Vx0MV.jpg

Edited by blackrack

I see what you did there.

I made this config in two minutes so it doesn't look very good and the color and atmosphere height are way overdone but here you go:

http://imgur.com/a/TjZbb

obligatory album music

"you must spread some reputation around before giving it to blackrack again"

That is spectacular! I love the sunrise/set in the last picture. How does this mod affect preformance? (compared to, say, EVE)

Now I want to see Jool! Duna! Laythe! TEKTO! :D

Thank you so much for bringing this into my life!

SmallFatFetus

Edited by SmallFatFetus

Which version of the mod are you using? That was supposed to be fixed a few versions ago. Try installing the latest version (v.012) and see if that helps.

If you are already running the latest version, your issue is above my pay-grade.

"you must spread some reputation around before giving it to blackrack again"

That is spectacular! I love the sunrise/set in the last picture. How does this mod affect preformance? (compared to, say, EVE)

Now I want to see Jool! Duna! Laythe! TEKTO! :D

Thank you so much for bringing this into my life!

SmallFatFetus

Good to see you're enjoying this. Performance seems to be different for every PC and it may play weird because of othermods so you're going to have to test it yourself.

I think the new config is a bit better. It allows some more detail to show through the distance fog. It also gives the surface of the planet more contrast while in orbit.

My thoughts exactly.

I would like cast my vote on the new .cfg in both comparisons. Loving the work you are doing with this mod!

Thanks, so which .cfg do you like more?

Hi,

I've tried out the mod today and I noticed some weird circles on the sky. Anyone else has this issue?

http://i.imgur.com/vfSTytA.png

I can see you're using the newest version but this was supposed to be fixed a few versions ago, if you have a mod that forces anisotropic filtering to apply to everything it might bring it back, or maybe you're forcing aniso through the drivers?

Which version of the mod are you using? That was supposed to be fixed a few versions ago. Try installing the latest version (v.012) and see if that helps.

If you are already running the latest version, your issue is above my pay-grade.

I can see you're using the newest version but this was supposed to be fixed a few versions ago, if you have a mod that forces anisotropic filtering to apply to everything it might bring it back, or maybe you're forcing aniso through the drivers?

Thanks you two!

Yes, I was forcing AF over driver. Turning it off fixed it, thanks!

i see what you did there.

http://imgur.com/a/tjzbb

obligatory album music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqygrpw8p50

This is what eve should look like! Wow!

Edited by skykooler