[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

hi just wonder is there a away play this mod with atm mod i mean i play with alot of mods and no way it is will load without atm

I'm using Scatterer 0.014 with ATM v5 and I haven't seen any trouble there, what problems are you experiencing?

Configuration is kinda pointless when there is no description of the parameters. So R is the radius of the thing. Ok, what is the unit? Is it meters? Default setting is Kerbin so shouldn't the radius be 300k to get the 600k diameter? Why is it 6 million? Rl is the "limit". What does that mean? How is that different from height? It also makes no sense to give a "height" as a radius. The half-values are much better, they have an explicit unit and are actual heights above the surface.

What does "beta" mean? Absorption? Scattering? What is the unit? Is it wavelengths? The value tweaks the colour somehow, but how? What is "G"? Is reflectance a percentage?

Setting these values according to what I think it might be is clearly getting me the wrong results. It's a beautiful shader but at least take 5 minutes to write a readme or something with a usable guide for this stuff.

Undocumented features don't exist.

Edited by BmB

Done a little testing with your latest version (which you had posted somewhere in here)

1. I get that infamous "above ~25-30km everything fades to black" bug. But only if it is day and the planet in visible in the camera view. Even in space the background is black if the planet is visible but only on the day side. As less visible as the planet is the more background I can see on the day side. Same goes for night day border. As more I slide into darkness as more the background becomes visible.
    As debug I deactivated PS from the menu and nothing changed about the background. (I thought it maybe might be simulated overexposure)

This one seems to be the same effect you get when you look at the sun. It's not even that much of a problem tho... If you have a look at RL photos of Earth, stars are normally not visible because the amount of light reflected from the surface (the dynamic range of cameras is normally not enough to record the faint stars and the surface together).

e.g. http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/124284main_image_feature_379_ys_full.jpg

Well not sure how more visible the stars are for the bare eye tho, we have a much higher dynamic range than cameras :D.

Edited by Darkway

them o

These artifacts are actually caused by the scattering tables sampling function, changing the global scale to 999 just pushes out of viewing zone. Is there a particular reason you're using dx11? If you're on windows might as well use dx9.

DX11+ATM are basically my minimums to make the game not out-of-memory crash during load/scene given the CPU mirroring bugs in Unity's DX9 implementation

OpenGL + ATM saves way more memory but OpenGL is unpredictable both visually and performance wise

Another option is L.O.D., but the last fork/release I can find is SpaceTigers v3.5 fork for 0.90, which people are stating crashes with 1.0 because it was never designed to handle the now stock DDS textures, and also isn't compatible with TR

I'm using Scatterer 0.014 with ATM v5 and I haven't seen any trouble there, what problems are you experiencing?

basicly

what someone show in page 45

it basic how i see that an looking for a fix

This one seems to be the same effect you get when you look at the sun. It's not even that much of a problem tho... If you have a look at RL photos of Earth, stars are normally not visible because the amount of light reflected from the surface (the dynamic range of cameras is normally not enough to record the faint stars and the surface together).

e.g. http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/124284main_image_feature_379_ys_full.jpg

Well not sure how more visible the stars are for the bare eye tho, we have a much higher dynamic range than cameras :D.

Yeah, but the problem is I see more stars here if I directly look into Kerbol.

- - - Updated - - -

basicly

what someone show in page 45

it basic how i see that an looking for a fix

That is when the textures are not loaded correctly ... either ATM is not working correctly or the cache is corrupted. try re downloading it and clear its cache ... also try the not aggressive one (if you use it).

Try it to run without ATM once and see if you still have it. Try it with ATM but not scatterer and see if it still there.

and like NoMrBond try it to run it in DirectX ... even though I didn't have any problem while forcing it into OpenGL

First, let met say that this mod is fantastic. It have the same impact on KSP than the EVE mod, giving KSP as small change that change it all. In a very great way.

9EFCBF9BB7441DE55AB43BA8539C9B60B684E3BE

Please ignore the ugly message caused by steam versus KSP key mapping conflict

As you can see, there is a beautiful fog effect with the default install of this mod.

Seeing this raises some questions :

- Is it possible to have more than one scatterer on a planet ? One on top or inside the other ?

- And if yes, can we : - use it to create a "less brutal" frontier between atmosphere and space ? (I'm referring to the "blue celling" effect)

- use it to create some zones with heavier density based on random distribution map (as I don't know the correct technical words, please forgive me to be unclear). The goal being simulating foggier zones and create clouds like object. Or moving fog. Or both.

And, even if it's still "strangely behaving", we (daughters and me) beg you to gives us your sea update :D It's to spectacular to be kept away from the (demanding) masses.

I had a similar issue when forcing anisotropic filtering over the driver.

Ah, I turned that off, loaded back up and the lines were gone. Went to look from orbit and got crazy shapes and lines. Went back to KSC and the lines were back there as well. Can't wait until I can really use this, it looked amazing there for about 5 seconds.

I'm not able to pull up the settings for this in Linux, correct?

I was wondering if anyone experiences memory leak problems. I zeroed it in to scatterer 0.14. With it the RAM footprint just grows, without it stays stable around 2.614 MB.

The only other visual mods that I have installed s Distant object enhancement and planetshine. When i remove them the leak is still there so i must be this mod. Anyone got an idea how to plug the leak?

So when will there be any form of update?

The latest one is the 0.14 experimental from 26-4-15. Since then we've had lots of interest and even a sticky but nothing new.

Is there any news?

Myself I am waiting until there is a version, even the current one with no more features, that lets you see EVE clouds when on the ground then I'll install and wait quietly for updates through CKAN.

As it is, I have to check the thread often and I find not much appearing to change.

Wow, and here I thought slavery was no longer a thing... certainly not in my country.

I am gratified to know that is no longer the case. Blackrack, I am in dire need of some coffee, so the next time you get a chance to put down your keyboard, please bring some to me. It's been a few hours since my last cup, which is not going to fill itself!

Blackrack, you'll be happy to know that the issue I had that everyone said was related to openGL which I denied because I didn't have openGL running was because drumroll..... I was running openGL

Turns out that I modified the steam initiliziaton instead of the .exe directly which is why when I checked if openGL was running I didn't see the modification.

Anyway now that that's out of the way, where's my scotch? I thought I asked for it an hour ago. -rings annoying bell-

I was wondering if anyone experiences memory leak problems. I zeroed it in to scatterer 0.14. With it the RAM footprint just grows, without it stays stable around 2.614 MB.

The only other visual mods that I have installed s Distant object enhancement and planetshine. When i remove them the leak is still there so i must be this mod. Anyone got an idea how to plug the leak?

There is currently a major memory leak in the stock game (1.0.2), which happens when temperature bars are displayed on overheating parts. I had a big ship that always made the game crash during reentry, because too many overheating parts were displaying a temperature bar and making the RAM usage increase to 4GB in a few seconds.

The current "fix" for that is to press F10 to disable those temperature bars.

I got scatterer and eve working together and in OpenGL without the bloody lines. I had to force anisotropic off in the Nvidia panel and set the texture filtering to performance.

Here is a screen shot.

H10SxRf.png

There is currently a major memory leak in the stock game (1.0.2), which happens when temperature bars are displayed on overheating parts. I had a big ship that always made the game crash during reentry, because too many overheating parts were displaying a temperature bar and making the RAM usage increase to 4GB in a few seconds.

The current "fix" for that is to press F10 to disable those temperature bars.

This leak has nothing to do with temperature bars. When im in the KSC view I get a couple of kb leak but when i launch a craft then it goes to 300-400 kb/sec. I tried scatterer with pure stock and it leaked away as soon as the plane was on the runway. And if I Alt-Tabed then there was a wooping 30 meg increase.