[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

When ModularFuelTanks is installed, the game breaks on loading a save.

Starts in space center scene at shown position, can't pan the camera or click on anything.

http://puu.sh/ihv6x/b9d9ce4065.jpg

This was in my log (The error below is repeated several dozen times sequentially):

[LOG 17:22:54.609] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'ShaderReplacer' from assembly 'scatterer'

[EXC 17:22:54.658] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode ()

scatterer.Manager.Update ()

scatterer.Core.Update ()

Full log here: http://puu.sh/ihvid/f7bf7dc39e.log

I didn't test this exhaustively with all my mods, but when I removed MFT, everything worked.

Edit: Removing TweakableEverything while leaving MFT installed resulted in no errors.

ugh i don't know weird ....

Ah! That's the same bug Iv'e had a few times, but with other various mods. I think something (possibly related to Scatterer) is causing the save to crash. I'm just totally guessing at this though. Just to be safe, did that glitch/bug happen when only scatterer and ModularFuelTanks and scatterer were installed? And only those two mods?

Anyhoo, someone posted this picture in EJ_SA's stream showing off an amazing effect that was created by Better Atmospheres in Astronomers pack. I was curious if the scatterer effects on other planets will look similar to this from orbit? I'm just curious.

3ys78ld.png

In foreseight, THIS IS NOT WHAT SCATTERER LOOKS LIKE - This is an old, old image of Duna with AVP and better atmospheres.

Edited by Avera9eJoe
Added image link... lol

Ah! That's the same bug Iv'e had a few times, but with other various mods. I think something (possibly related to Scatterer) is causing the save to crash. I'm just totally guessing at this though. Just to be safe, did that glitch/bug happen when only scatterer and ModularFuelTanks and scatterer were installed? And only those two mods?

Anyhoo, someone posted this picture in EJ_SA's stream showing off an amazing effect that was created by Better Atmospheres in Astronomers pack. I was curious if the scatterer effects on other planets will look similar to this from orbit? I'm just curious.

http://i.imgur.com/3ys78ld.png

In foreseight, THIS IS NOT WHAT SCATTERER LOOKS LIKE - This is an old, old image of Duna with AVP and better atmospheres.

Why you want Scatterer to look like an old fake effect in EVE when scatterer does, precisely, this effect rightly?

The "blurry onion" fake scattering didn't come from BA or AVP. Is a feature possible thanks to EVE since long, long time ago... I had that idea with "Pimp your clouds" by first time, was one of the things that pushed me to do KSPRC. I just not improved the effect, because wip-EVE could do it better since his very first versions. All this is not important (I'm not looking for attention). I explain this to expose that I know very well this effect and what is possible to do with it. And sorry, is not comparable at all with scatterer.

With Scatterer the light, density, and much more variables creates the final effect. Fake scattering with EVE are just blurry and semi-transparent layers of color, and the "onion" is effect is always there. Not comparable at all.

If you want that effect why you don't stay in EVE with that effect?, look to get the same in other mod, when that mod does it better... is a bit weird. Don't you think? :wink:

It didn't actually. I re-added all my other mods one by one until it stopped working and found that a plugin called ModularFlightIntegrator had something to do with it, but removing it broke a bunch of other stuff. This is definitely related to scatterer because my log is spammed with NullReferenceExceptions with the name of said.

Also, is it possible to load addons without completely restarting the game? I think you can rebuild the database is the F12 menu but does this work for plugins? Can you do this from the menu scene?

When ModularFuelTanks is installed, the game breaks on loading a save.

Starts in space center scene at shown position, can't pan the camera or click on anything.

http://puu.sh/ihv6x/b9d9ce4065.jpg

This was in my log (The error below is repeated several dozen times sequentially):

[LOG 17:22:54.609] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'ShaderReplacer' from assembly 'scatterer'

[EXC 17:22:54.658] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode ()

scatterer.Manager.Update ()

scatterer.Core.Update ()

Full log here: http://puu.sh/ihvid/f7bf7dc39e.log

I didn't test this exhaustively with all my mods, but when I removed MFT, everything worked.

Edit: Removing TweakableEverything while leaving MFT installed resulted in no errors.

ugh i don't know weird ....

I have had this bug in stock KSP as well. I found a 100% reliable way to reproduce it in 1.0.0 (haven't tested in later versions): in main menu, select a save, then switch applications while KSP is loading the space center scene. Boom, you end up at the side of the SPH and can't click anything.

I have had this bug in stock KSP as well. I found a 100% reliable way to reproduce it in 1.0.0 (haven't tested in later versions): in main menu, select a save, then switch applications while KSP is loading the space center scene. Boom, you end up at the side of the SPH and can't click anything.

Stock random bug. Not related to Scatterer mod.

It didn't actually. I re-added all my other mods one by one until it stopped working and found that a plugin called ModularFlightIntegrator had something to do with it, but removing it broke a bunch of other stuff. This is definitely related to scatterer because my log is spammed with NullReferenceExceptions with the name of said.

Also, is it possible to load addons without completely restarting the game? I think you can rebuild the database is the F12 menu but does this work for plugins? Can you do this from the menu scene?

The log file you posted earlier indicates no problems with Modular Flight Integrator.

MFI is a wrapper for the stock Flight Integrator which allows Deadly Reentry and FAR to override key parts of the Flight Integrator without either of them interfering with the other.

Alright, yeah, I don't know what was going on. The glitch coincided with Scatterer being installed earlier which is what made me think it was causing it.

Seems to be fine (for now)

Hello, beautiful work I closely from the beginning. I just wanted to know when we could hoped an update with the water shaders ?

Thank you for your answer.

In all honesty I have no idea, I'm going through a really busy period at work and since last week I haven't had any time for the mod. I might have some for it on sunday but I'll probably put it towards continuing on postprocessing-EVE clouds compatibility and not hunting down the mysterious water issue.

Edited by blackrack

Why you want Scatterer to look like an old fake effect in EVE when scatterer does, precisely, this effect rightly?

The "blurry onion" fake scattering didn't come from BA or AVP. Is a feature possible thanks to EVE since long, long time ago... I had that idea with "Pimp your clouds" by first time, was one of the things that pushed me to do KSPRC. I just not improved the effect, because wip-EVE could do it better since his very first versions. All this is not important (I'm not looking for attention). I explain this to expose that I know very well this effect and what is possible to do with it. And sorry, is not comparable at all with scatterer.

With Scatterer the light, density, and much more variables creates the final effect. Fake scattering with EVE are just blurry and semi-transparent layers of color, and the "onion" is effect is always there. Not comparable at all.

If you want that effect why you don't stay in EVE with that effect?, look to get the same in other mod, when that mod does it better... is a bit weird. Don't you think? :wink:

Perhaps because EVE is the benchmark for visual effects. And for the moment, Scatterer has still not dethroned. Scatterer is to do some screenshot but we can not play with it, there is too unacceptable defects. And I'm not talking about opengl and d3d11 ...

EVE has an onion effect but from orbit Scatterer has a soup effect. So if you have both, you get an onion soup!:P

In all honesty I have no idea, I'm going through a really busy period at work and since last week I haven't had any time for the mod. I might have some for it on sunday but I'll probably put it towards continuing on postprocessing-EVE clouds compatibility and not hunting down the mysterious water issue.

Take your time Blackrack. It will all come together in time. And what you are doing is very much worth the wait. I can't believe my own eyes every time I launch a plane or a rocket now. I have to do a double take as KSP is starting to look more like an actual nature scene than a game. The <> buttons on my keyboard are getting worn out because I can't get enough of the sunrises.

Perhaps because EVE is the benchmark for visual effects. And for the moment, Scatterer has still not dethroned. Scatterer is to do some screenshot but we can not play with it, there is too unacceptable defects. And I'm not talking about opengl and d3d11 ...

EVE has an onion effect but from orbit Scatterer has a soup effect. So if you have both, you get an onion soup!:P

Scatterer, as mod, is not a competence at all for EVE. At all. In any case a complement. Scatterer creates atmo scattering effects, maybe better oceans, in the future. Eve can't do that. Wip-Eve could do that. But, anyways, Eve is much more than that: clouds, city lights, terrains, atmo/surface effects... I play with Scatterer. And with EVE. In fact at this point, for some players like me, the mods are "games" itself, inside the game.

This is a WIP mod. Real world is not Pokemon. Things don't just appear from the nothing. Hard work (usually funny here, but hard anyways) is necessary to get things working correctly.

The EVE that you known is a estable version, that has a lot of time, and it been passed along a lot of different versions. Besides it was heavily tested by the players during months. The actual version of EVE is a WIP mod too: is not estable and have bugs. It's simply impossible to build a mod/shader to work properly at the first try. Please, let's keep this rational. :wink:

I have been experiencing a CTD since installing Scatterer (0.151) that only appears to happen when recovering a vessel after a (sub)orbital flight. Everything appears fine, and my memory footprint is under the 32bit limit (~3.3G on a 16G system, though I'm running 32bit KSP), but when I click the "Recover Vessel" button above the altimeter the screen goes black as normal, thinks for a few seconds and then *bam*, I'm at the desktop. When reloading the game, everything is fine and I can recover the ship, but the next launch has the same problem.

Going through the output_log, there are about a dozen null reference exceptions that appear to be part of trying to tear down the scene for transition to the space center view.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at scatterer.Manager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at scatterer.Core.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

This has happened more than once, and with difference ship designs. I had two in a row this happened with, so I then removed Scatterer from game-data after the second crash. On the next mission (nearly identical suborbital flight over the Peninsula of Shame, using the same craft) the vessel was recovered without the CTD happening. I've done two more flights since without Scatterer or the problem.

If you need more info please let me know and I can make the full crash report available. I have a number of mods installed (I've a list available) but my first step (removing Scatterer) seems to have removed the problem, so it looks to me like something with the scene transition isn't quite right.

Scatterer, as mod, is not a competence at all for EVE. At all. In any case a complement. Scatterer creates atmo scattering effects, maybe better oceans, in the future. Eve can't do that. Wip-Eve could do that. But, anyways, Eve is much more than that: clouds, city lights, terrains, atmo/surface effects... I play with Scatterer. And with EVE. In fact at this point, for some players like me, the mods are "games" itself, inside the game.

This is a WIP mod. Real world is not Pokemon. Things don't just appear from the nothing. Hard work (usually funny here, but hard anyways) is necessary to get things working correctly.

The EVE that you known is a estable version, that has a lot of time, and it been passed along a lot of different versions. Besides it was heavily tested by the players during months. The actual version of EVE is a WIP mod too: is not estable and have bugs. It's simply impossible to build a mod/shader to work properly at the first try. Please, let's keep this rational. :wink:

I see what you say when you say Scatterer and EVE are two different things and they could be work together. For now, I don't try some solution for this because I'm in D3D11 for RAM issues, and like you know, Scatterer is not ready for D3D11. But it doesn't mean that I will don't try... I need a solution for my RAM issues (with ATM...) and if I find it, I will search for some good settings to play with Scatterer and EVE.

Having spent much time in EVE settings (btw thanks for yours and your textures in RC...) and now I exactly know EVE 7-4 can do. And when I see the time it took me, I understand very well that making a mod like this does not happen overnight.

I support blackrack for this mod and I hope he will make THE visual mod!

I see what you say when you say Scatterer and EVE are two different things and they could be work together. For now, I don't try some solution for this because I'm in D3D11 for RAM issues, and like you know, Scatterer is not ready for D3D11. But it doesn't mean that I will don't try... I need a solution for my RAM issues (with ATM...) and if I find it, I will search for some good settings to play with Scatterer and EVE.

Having spent much time in EVE settings (btw thanks for yours and your textures in RC...) and now I exactly know EVE 7-4 can do. And when I see the time it took me, I understand very well that making a mod like this does not happen overnight.

I support blackrack for this mod and I hope he will make THE visual mod!

I'm at 50 mods and counting, with scatterer :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117224-Windows-64-bit-community-workaround

is that a supernova?

Do you mean the lens flare or the moon?

Edit: Also I do apologize if anyone else has mentioned this but. I had an Idea. Is it possible to have a settings menu for in atmosphere viewing, and a completely separate settings menu for outer atmosphere viewing? Then an automatic transmission between the two during ascent? It's a simple suggestion that I'm sure has monumental coding mountains to overcome. But the idea would be to tailor what it looks like when you are flying through a planet verses passing over one. I have not been able to find a happy medium between the two. Scatterer makes in atmosphere look breathtaking. But as soon as I enter orbit. It looks like a ball of blue soup. I am sure some of this is my own ignorance in not being able to find a happy medium in the settings menu. I will keep playing with it. And please don't take anything I just said as negative. Scatterer is freaking amazing! And KSP will never be the same again.

Edited by V8jester

Thank you V8jester, now i run with KSP 64 and I have no memory issue. Since 1.0 I was forgot this solution.

On d3d9 scatterer is great but not at 200-400 meters, where I get this:

1D1FDA094AFA86C871E0B8E99641B3068479A51E

If anyone have a solution for this issue, I'm listening!

In the politest tone possible with text; the solution is to read back the past twenty pages.

Hyomoto, is this what you are referring to? I'm not sure I even see a specific answer to that one. I accept I could be 100% wrong. And I know a lot if people have been asking repeat questions. But we are all here to help each other after all.

First Post:

-Lines in the sky can be fixed with the "ForceOFF aniso" button or by forcing anisotropic filtering off from your drivers

-ForceOFF aniso setting isn't persistent

F10 or 11 for menu, then toggle the setting. You have to do this each time you start KSP.