[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

I can't see where the problem is with Kopernicus, it never came into conflict with scatterer before. And all my changes with Kopernicus are not stock and mainly related to the ground so it's even more intriguing for me...
Anyways,I'll roll back to Kopernicus 0.4 BETA to check it. Thanks!

[quote name='Manwith Noname']

Black sky is caused by Kopernicus.

[/QUOTE]

No it is not. I use Scatterer but do not have Kopernicus and I still get the black sky every now and then. Most likely caused by one of the other beautification mods I use.

[quote name='Majorjim']No it is not. I use Scatterer but do not have Kopernicus and I still get the black sky every now and then. Most likely caused by one of the other beautification mods I use.[/QUOTE]

After all my test I must agree. Looks like the new version of Kopernicus made the problem worst, but didn't seem the origin of the problem.
I've back to Kopernicus 0.4 (where all was working perfectly) but the problem persist at many ways. No more black sky, but all still looks overexposed and the horizon blending is wrong, the tint feature is still gone at map view...

I'm gonna upload the actual state of KSPRC and I'll send it to Blackrack to see if he can find the issue.

[quote name='Proot']After all my test I must agree. Looks like the new version of Kopernicus made the problem worst, but didn't seem the origin of the problem.
I've back to Kopernicus 0.4 (where all was working perfectly) but the problem persist at many ways. No more black sky, but all still looks overexposed and the horizon blending is wrong, the tint feature is still gone at map view...

I'm gonna upload the actual state of KSPRC and I'll send it to Blackrack to see if he can find the issue.[/QUOTE]

Has kopernicus officially updated for 1.0.5?

[quote name='Nhawks17']Oh wow, yeah seems Kopernicus was making the issue worse but the EVE features are still 'broken'[/QUOTE]

The EVE problem seems to be in the new configs system, so for the moment seems to not be involved in this.

I just noticed that the shimmering/aliasing border around terrain introduced by the new depth buffer is really bad. And it gets worse the higher your resolution is.

Edited: Also, as Proot noted, the blending seems to be messed up. Edited by blackrack

[quote name='Majorjim']No it is not. I use Scatterer but do not have Kopernicus and I still get the black sky every now and then. Most likely caused by one of the other beautification mods I use.[/QUOTE]

It may not be the only mod to cause issues but it's a dead cert if you just put Scatterer in your install, all is fine. Same goes for Kopernicus, alone, I see no problems, logs are clean.

Mix the two, the sky goes black and the log goes crazy.

Same as Proot, I had used this combination in the past without issue, so somewhere in the changes of both mods is hopefully a clue.

Also, Majorjim, could you list your mods please. Maybe Proot and Nhawks also, though I suspect they are similar. I appreciate everyone has their own work they wish to do so if noone else is testing mod combinations methodically, I will. Though I'm off out tonight and away working for a couple of days. I might find the odd hour to do something.

I am using Scatterer, EVE and Kopernicus without any problems. I am saving my textures using nVidia's dds plugin using DXT5 with an Interpolated Alpha channel and it seems to be working fine. I would guess it is a texture issue.

EDIT: Today I am getting a very strange bug as I have literally changed nothing but fired up the game today and at the Space Center I cannot change scene, if I click a building the game freezes. Getting a load of Null Refs. Latest Kopernicus build is also being used as shown in log, it seems a shader is not present at least:

[CODE][LOG 18:45:43.403] [Kopernicus]: Fixed SpaceCenterCamera[LOG 18:45:43.414] [ScenarioDestructibles]: Loading... 0 objects registered
[LOG 18:45:43.417] Loading Depletion Nodes
[LOG 18:45:43.417] DepNodeCount: 0
[LOG 18:45:43.419] Loading Biome Nodes
[LOG 18:45:43.419] BiomeNodeCount: 0
[LOG 18:45:43.420] Loading Planet Nodes
[LOG 18:45:43.421] PlanetNodeCount: 0
[LOG 18:45:51.628] scatterer effects loaded for Kerbin
[EXC 18:45:51.790] IsolatedStorageException: Could not find file "D:\Users\******\Desktop\KSP OPM Cloud Dev\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\scatterer\CompiledDepthTexture.shader".
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options)
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean isAsync, Boolean anonymous)
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access)
scatterer.ShaderTool.GetShader2 (System.String resource)
scatterer.CustomDepthBufferCam.OnPreRender ()
[EXC 18:45:51.808] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
scatterer.SkyNode.toggleCoronas ()
scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode ()
scatterer.Manager.Update ()
scatterer.Core.Update ()[/CODE]

That exception repeats constantly, if I click on a building this happens:

[CODE][LOG 18:45:54.981] Game State Saved to saves/default/persistent[ERR 18:45:54.984] [DestructibleBuilding]: ID for this building is not defined correctly. Cannot unregister.

[EXC 18:45:54.987] NullReferenceException
Atmosphere.CloudsPQS.OnSphereInactive ()
Atmosphere.CloudsPQS.GameSceneLoaded (GameScenes scene)
EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data)
HighLogic.LoadScene (GameScenes scene)
EditorDriver.StartEditor (EditorFacility facility)
VehicleAssemblyBuilding.OnClicked ()
SpaceCenterBuilding.EnterBuilding ()
SpaceCenterBuilding.OnLeftClick ()
SpaceCenterBuilding+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 18:45:55.038] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
scatterer.SkyNode.toggleCoronas ()
scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode ()
scatterer.Manager.Update ()
scatterer.Core.Update ()[/CODE]

Any ideas? Edited by Poodmund

Scatterer is causing the black sky issue even when EVE and Kopernicus have been removed, is there some configuration option to fix this? It starts up fine and looks correct for a moment, and then the screen stops for a second or two and then switches to black sky. Edited by Alkahest

So, I just tested Scatterer + EVE + Kopernicus. Interestingly, the black sky issue only shows when disabling stock atmo. If I open the Scatterer UI and enable the stock atmo, the sky looks about right, at least for stock.

Unfortunately, I've never actually used Scatterer before (last time I looked at it it didn't like linux), so I can't say for sure what is actually working here and what isn't, but it doesn't seem like it's completely breaking everything. I do still get the NREs in toggleCoronas, but I can't tell whether that's only with stock atmo disabled or not.

I've tried almost every possible commands to open Scatterer UI, but i just can't get it open... What's the trick you did to open it Singing Boyo or anyone else? I tryed to search thread and readme file from mod folder with no success. Thanks for help! Edited by Murdox

Alt (Mod)+F11, if on Linux it will be Right-Shift+F11.

Note that you have to have an Active Vessel in range of Scatterer's preset activation distances for the effects to 'turn-on'. These distances, IIRC, are set in the PlanetsList.cfg

EDIT: Blackrack, will it be possible to locate .cfg and Planet folders outside of Scatterer's main directory as supplying additional configs for mods that add planets may be troublesome when it comes to overwriting the PlanetsList.cfg. Is there a modular approach that can be taken? Can additional PlanetList.cfg files with a different file name coexist alongside the main file for additional planets? Edited by Poodmund

It seems everyone who's having trouble with the black sky is reporting some kind of nullref with togglecoronas(), I'll try to take a look at this tonight. I also have to take a look at Proot's WIP KSPRC.

[quote name='Poodmund']Alt (Mod)+F11, if on Linux it will be Right-Shift+F11.

Note that you have to have an Active Vessel in range of Scatterer's preset activation distances for the effects to 'turn-on'. These distances, IIRC, are set in the PlanetsList.cfg

EDIT: Blackrack, will it be possible to locate .cfg and Planet folders outside of Scatterer's main directory as supplying additional configs for mods that add planets may be troublesome when it comes to overwriting the PlanetsList.cfg. Is there a modular approach that can be taken? Can additional PlanetList.cfg files with a different file name coexist alongside the main file for additional planets?[/QUOTE]

I'll see what I can do, probably the best way would be to have each planet have it's own separate file and have the mod autodetect them at start.

So, reading through this thread it seems i'm not the only person with the sky turning black, lagging my game for a few moments before running smoothly again when i alt-tab in/out.

Most of the time(read: every time), if i tab in/out, the sky will do the blackness thing, lagging and then just crash without a popup. And if it matters, im trying to tab in/out of fullscreen. If that's the issue than i'm just going to uninstall scatterer, because playing on a smaller resolution just annoys me and having everything crammed into a small screen is claustrophobic

[quote name='rbray89']Bingo. Abstracting things to bare minimum. Pretty views should come from those sending craft to the places :)[/QUOTE]

Double Bingo! Thats one of the things I have been thinking about too, having the map view kind of spoils you, you can zoom in on any planet and get pretty much the same visuals as actually visiting (In stock kerbal anyway)

Having the map view be just that, a map view and the planets just mysterious coloured specks visable when you look at the right part of the sky and zoom in, would make actually seeing a planet on person for the first time a truely magical experience (With RVE, Scatter. EVE ect for maximum POW!)

So fair plays this is a good one to develop, would be something I would be dying to have in a future Educational build of KSP :cool:

[quote name='Poodmund']Loving the new multi-planet support, I have been playing around with Tekto this evening trying it out using all homemade textures with the new EVE release.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tqwiEx6l.jpg[/IMG] [/QUOTE]
By the way, that looks really slick ;-) Edited by GorillaZilla

Anyone who have trouble getting Scatterer to work with RSS / Kopernicus can give my patched version a try. It fixes the celestial / transform naming mess by simply detecting the proper celestial body using both names defined in PlanetList.cfg and does the same with assets, like shaders and config. Should help with black sky and NullReference exceptions should be gone altogether for your bonus enjoyment.
As a disclaimer, I've only tested it on my setup: OSX 10.11, Stock KSP modded with 64bit UnityPlayer 4.6.4. Only Scatterer and RSS 10.4.1 installed with 8K textures. Feedback from 32bit and/or Windows / Linux host with and without RSS would be appreciated.

Without any further ado:

Pull request for the technically inclined: [URL]https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/pull/5[/URL]
GameData snapshot: [URL]https://www.dropbox.com/s/pejxjr4rrnrfuo6/scatterer-0.191-rss-compat-c0a39c7.zip[/URL]

How it looks with 100% default configuration:

[IMGUR]1NZLq[/IMGUR]

Have fun!

[quote name='direwolf']Feedback from 32bit and/or Windows / Linux host with and without RSS would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

KSP 32 on Win 8.1 x64 with DX9 (assuming that is still the default) rendering....is a no go sadly. The atmosphere doesn't load at all and I get lots of this in the logs....

[code]
[EXC 03:16:18.574] InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[CelestialBody] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback)
System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[CelestialBody] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate)
scatterer.Core.Update ()
[/code]

This was a completely vanilla install. I then threw Kopernicus 0.5.2 in just incase there was some dependency but the situation remained the same.

[quote name='Manwith Noname']Have you tried adding the command -popupwindow to your launch parameters? You should be able to run KSP in borderless window mode with it, so no lower resolution needed if that's what you are referring to?[/QUOTE]

[Nevermind]

Edit: [Nevermind]

Edit 2: Forget what i said before, i managed to solve the porblems, it's all fine and dandy now, thanks! Edited by StickyScissors

Not sure if its any help, but I'm running KSP 64 bit on Windows 7 64bit, using Stock Visual Enhancements / EVE and Scatterer. With Kopernicus, getting the black sky on the launchpad, (enabling stock atmo brings it back, but scatterer won't load till you hit 17km above surface). Removed Kopernicus, and everything works flawlessly. The Alt+Tab thing seems to cause scatterer to re-render, causes a slight pause, but resumes normal operations afterwards.
EDIT: Default DX9 load Edited by NeoGambit