[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

I tried to find a way to update childcount but there was no such a public property or method as far as I could see.

Hmm, how can I update the PQSMod to do this?

SVE updated to remove these. EVE normally doesn't replace ocean shaders anymore. But I'll do it anyway.

You may have to use reflection to get at the private members...

//hack to get protected variable
FieldInfo field = typeof(Sun).GetFields(BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic).First(
	f => f.Name == "scaledSunLight" );
Sunlight = (Light)field.GetValue(Sun.Instance);

Edited by rbray89

6 minutes ago, jtmcalli said:

Wut went wrong?

Zoomed in looks fine except for the side but everywhere else it's that. (Also tested with clean install and just this mod, same result)

Blackrack will say read the OP known issues before posting please, just not as nicely

28 minutes ago, Yukon0009 said:

Any idea on how to run this without horrendous low FPS? It works, but 5 fps for a single part craft..

I seem to be getting much better FPS than that, there was a Linux issue where a file did not have the right case and caused it to spam searching for it, if you are using Linux make sure you have the latest version. Other than that start turning down AA, detail and removing other mods.

6 hours ago, blackrack said:

I tried to find a way to update childcount but there was no such a public property or method as far as I could see.

Hmm, how can I update the PQSMod to do this?

SVE updated to remove these. EVE normally doesn't replace ocean shaders anymore. But I'll do it anyway.

Not sure offhand, but you can try just clearing the secondary fade list. You can also look at how Kopernicus creates the mod, to know how it's set up. :)

Edited by NathanKell

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

Not sure offhand, but you can try just clearing the secondary fade list. You can also look at how Kopernicus creates the mod, to know how it's set up. :)

I feel like I'm so close. I just need to figure out what is throwing a null reference exception in  PQS.ResetSphere ()

PQS ocean =
                sphere.ChildSpheres[0];
                ocean.parentSphere = null;
                ocean.transform.parent = null;
                FieldInfo field = typeof(PQS).GetFields(BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic).First(
                f => f.FieldType == typeof(PQS[]));
                field.SetValue(sphere, new PQS[] { });
                PQSMod[] mods = ocean.GetComponentsInChildren<PQSMod>();
                foreach (PQSMod mod in mods)
                {
                    mod.transform.parent = null;
                    GameObject.DestroyImmediate(mod);
                }
                GameObject.DestroyImmediate(ocean.gameObject);
                PQSMod_CelestialBodyTransform cbt = sphere.GetComponentsInChildren<PQSMod_CelestialBodyTransform>()[0];
                cbt.secondaryFades = new PQSMod_CelestialBodyTransform.AltitudeFade[] { };
                sphere.mapOcean = false;

Hi blackrack, 

I am not sure if this is an already known bug (I didn't see it in the known issues section) but with the new update, on my install the oceans are black.

bwRA6ax.png

I'll post the necessary information if you need it. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Columbia said:

Hi blackrack, 

I am not sure if this is an already known bug (I didn't see it in the known issues section) but with the new update, on my install the oceans are black.

hi,

think first of all some screens of your install(-folder) would help / as well as the output_log / debug_log.

Im running win 64bit version and its doing well.

is alt+f11 working for you? can you use the config tool? screenshot would be nice.

Edited by Speadge

2 minutes ago, Speadge said:

hi,

think first of all some screens of your install would help / as well as the output_log / debug_log.

Im running win 64bit version and its doing well.

is alt+f11 working for you? can you use the config tool? screenshot would be nice.

Sorry for being an idiot, but where do you find the logs and what do you mean by screens of my install? I never reported a mod issue. Alt + F11 works for me, I can open it up.

Thanks!

Also, sometimes it would work, sometimes it's black and sometimes it's this:

5vfZfkX.jpg

8 hours ago, jtmcalli said:

Wut went wrong?

Zoomed in looks fine except for the side but everywhere else it's that. (Also tested with clean install and just this mod, same result)

These are just tears in the fabric of space. But seriously I don't know what's causing these yet.

7 hours ago, Yukon0009 said:

Any idea on how to run this without horrendous low FPS? It works, but 5 fps for a single part craft..

Semms to be running well for everyone, what are your specs? Any errors being spammed in the debug log?

5 hours ago, rbray89 said:

I feel like I'm so close. I just need to figure out what is throwing a null reference exception in  PQS.ResetSphere ()

PQS ocean =
                sphere.ChildSpheres[0];
                ocean.parentSphere = null;
                ocean.transform.parent = null;
                FieldInfo field = typeof(PQS).GetFields(BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic).First(
                f => f.FieldType == typeof(PQS[]));
                field.SetValue(sphere, new PQS[] { });
                PQSMod[] mods = ocean.GetComponentsInChildren<PQSMod>();
                foreach (PQSMod mod in mods)
                {
                    mod.transform.parent = null;
                    GameObject.DestroyImmediate(mod);
                }
                GameObject.DestroyImmediate(ocean.gameObject);
                PQSMod_CelestialBodyTransform cbt = sphere.GetComponentsInChildren<PQSMod_CelestialBodyTransform>()[0];
                cbt.secondaryFades = new PQSMod_CelestialBodyTransform.AltitudeFade[] { };
                sphere.mapOcean = false;

Alright, let me know what you find.

1 hour ago, Columbia said:

Hi blackrack, 

Could you try increasing or lowering m_resolution like Djolox suggested?

21 minutes ago, Djolox said:

I think I am close to fixing the weird artifact on the ocean (Ones I had)! Just increase ocean resolution!

Does this work? Can you post before/after pics? Also, in case there's a relation somewhere, what resolution do you play at?

30 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Does this work? Can you post before/after pics? Also, in case there's a relation somewhere, what resolution do you play at?

I found that glitches stop at resolution 100, but as higher that better. I have a beefy computer so I run it on 500.

Here are the pictures.

Before:

tdsgvKy.jpg

After:

1DthMes.jpg

It is not totally clear because the sea tends to spazz out. I can't catch that on photo.

12 minutes ago, Djolox said:

I found that glitches stop at resolution 100, but as higher that better. I have a beefy computer so I run it on 500.

Here are the pictures.

Before:

After:

It is not totally clear because the sea tends to spazz out. I can't catch that on photo.

Actually the lower the better, but only if you set it to 1 or 4 is the difference noticeable, and there's a ceiling value but I forgot which. I'm glad this fixes your problem.

I note the options to change wave amplitude, windspeed and omega.

Would it be feasible to make these dependent on latitude, depth and Mün position (to fake tides)? This way, shallow tropical waters could be smooth and serene, but near the Arctic or Antarctic the seas become more violent. In the deep sea waves would have low wavelength but high amplitude.

I'm guessing the transitions would be small enough, and the visual range limited enough, to make transitions not so jarring?

Edited by colmo

7 minutes ago, colmo said:

I note the options to change wave amplitude, windspeed and omega.

Would it be feasible to make these dependent on latitude, depth and Mün position (to fake tides)? This way, shallow tropical waters could be smooth and serene, but near the Arctic or Antarctic the seas become more violent. In the deep sea waves would have low wavelength but high amplitude.

I'm guessing the transitions would be small enough, and the visual range limited enough, to make transitions not so jarring?

I've considered this but for now changing these parameters requires an ocean rebuild, which takes half a second or more depending on your computer and the transition isn't smooth. I might be able to make it smooth in the future but there are some things I need to work out. And I haven't really been putting any planet's oceans to violent and won't be doing it until we have waves interacting with craft, which I may or may not be able to do.

Edited by blackrack

9 hours ago, Yukon0009 said:

Yukon, I have some game setup tips on my thread linked in my signature. Not sure if it will help you much if you are as low as 5fps. But give it a shot.

19 hours ago, blackrack said:

Atmosphere height is now tweakable directly ingame, this means you don't have to fiddle with the config tool anymore to make your atmosphere higher, this is mostly good news for mod and config makers.

Also, this allows tweaking the atmo directly to have a blue sky higher up in Kerbin, and to avoid mountains poking through the atmosphere.

YAY!! Great news, I was going to ask about this too but you're already fielding inane queries from me! :) Is it still possible to modify the OceanRender queue with this new 0.0215 version or does the line oceanrenderqueue=3000 added to the config file work even if I can't edit it from the GUI? Also is there a line I can add to start with post processing disabled? And I'd love to know what I need to edit to increase atmosphere heights in earlier versions of Scatterer, say maybe v0.01781 for 1.0.4, if such a config edit exists?

Thanks again for all your hard work @blackrack !! At the moment I'm just a guy asking stupid questions, but I swear when I get everything up and running I shall provide you with screenshots of such beauty and composition you will never want for promo materials again! :D x

8 minutes ago, Space Cowbuoy said:

YAY!! Great news, I was going to ask about this too but you're already fielding inane queries from me! :) Is it still possible to modify the OceanRender queue with this new 0.0215 version or does the line oceanrenderqueue=3000 added to the config file work even if I can't edit it from the GUI? Also is there a line I can add to start with post processing disabled? And I'd love to know what I need to edit to increase atmosphere heights in earlier versions of Scatterer, say maybe v0.01781 for 1.0.4, if such a config edit exists?

Thanks again for all your hard work @blackrack !! At the moment I'm just a guy asking stupid questions, but I swear when I get everything up and running I shall provide you with screenshots of such beauty and composition you will never want for promo materials again! :D x

Yeah I left the oceanRenderQueue setting in there so you can change it, btw you can try something like 2500 that shouldn't mess up the postprocessing effects. I haven't added that option yet but you could just set the postprocessing alpha to zero in the configpoints for now.

In earlier versions of scatterer, to edit the config height you had to generate new configs with the config tool. You could still just try going in the settings and changing Rg but it will definitely cause other issues.

Edited by blackrack

Hey Blackrack! Your mod is gorgeous and works well performance wise on my rig. But I'm getting this weird bug in orbit and map mode in the latest version:

(Edit: my imgur album isn't embedding for some reason! First post on these new forums. Here is the direct link: http://imgur.com/a/CaT6w )

Has anyone else had this issue?

My mods are:

• EVE
  • Distant Object
  • Chatterer
  • Firespitter/Habitat Pack
  • Stock Bug Fixes
  • Stock Clamshell Fairings
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock

Edited by Binho
Imgur embed not working!

5 minutes ago, Binho said:

Hey Blackrack! Your mod is gorgeous and works well performance wise on my rig. But I'm getting this weird bug in orbit and map mode:

(Edit: my imgur album isn't embedding for some reason! First post on these new forums. Here is the direct link: http://imgur.com/a/CaT6w )

Has anyone else had this issue?

My mods are:

• EVE
  • Distant Object
  • Chatterer
  • Firespitter/Habitat Pack
  • Stock Bug Fixes
  • Stock Clamshell Fairings
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock

Hmm, is this running dx9 or OpenGL? Can you try forcing a different mode?

Is this new to the latest version?