[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

What happens on fouriergridsize 256? Sounds like it would look even better, but propably kill most/all CPUs. Anyway, i have lots of processingpower to spare, 3 cores of my i5 3570k@4,2Ghz are screaming "boring" while playing KSP...

7 hours ago, blackrack said:

It liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiives

6a43CXu.jpg

(Waves are now generated on the CPU, it's one huge step towards wave-craft interactions)

Is it one of those anniversary-edition something-K CPUs with just two cores and no hyperthreading?

Keep'em coming ;)

Awesomeness :)

Hey, Blackrack! This mod is so awesome that i include it every time when im playing, but when you added the water shaders recently, when i install the mod fps drops from about 70 to 25-30fps. Its really killing it but i really want to play with your mod. I have EVE, DOE, PS, 64k and some other part mods. Computer specs are 8gb ram, i5-4460 and R9 280X. I also use the 64-bit workaround for windows. Any help please?

-EDIT-

And the bug is still there that city lights appear on the Mun. You can only see them in vessel view but not in map view

Edited by Joco223

13 hours ago, sashan said:

Oh, yes, it's 2.6GHz normally. It runs at 3 while I play tho, checked it. Scatterer perfomance hit is also minimal with my nvidia 740m. Let's just say that I can play games from 2014 like Dragon Age Inquisition on med-max settings. The rest of KSP is really unoptimized tho.

Is it ASUS X550V? In any case, I have similar configuration - i5-3230m and GT 740m and for me the performance hit of scatterer with oceans enabled is quiet massive.

Also, has "atmospheric" sunglare texture been promoted to "orbital" or is it just temporary there?

Spoiler

bC5F8N8.png

1 hour ago, Elthy said:

What happens on fouriergridsize 256? Sounds like it would look even better, but propably kill most/all CPUs. Anyway, i have lots of processingpower to spare, 3 cores of my i5 3570k@4,2Ghz are screaming "boring" while playing KSP...

I have the exact same setup with cpu and oc and fell yo pain brah

Crap: double post but don't know how to delete

Edited by pingopete

On 12/7/2015, 8:31:36, Darren9 said:

I think mine is bigger :) So big it can only be launched once and not leave the scene without disaster - it's going straight into the bin. I didn't have any F16's either so it's a Harrier and F22. It does look beautiful with scatterer though.

What mods are you using for that aircraft carrier? I have a Linux rig and would like to do some stress-testing :P

Also : If we get CPU waves, does this mean that the Linux derps will be reduced or fixed? I've had the ocean shaders turned off for a while now, they are just too buggy to be really worth messing with on OpenGL/Linux.

2 hours ago, Joco223 said:

Hey, Blackrack! This mod is so awesome that i include it every time when im playing, but when you added the water shaders recently, when i install the mod fps drops from about 70 to 25-30fps. Its really killing it but i really want to play with your mod. I have EVE, DOE, PS, 64k and some other part mods. Computer specs are 8gb ram, i5-4460 and R9 280X. I also use the 64-bit workaround for windows. Any help please?

-EDIT-

And the bug is still there that city lights appear on the Mun. You can only see them in vessel view but not in map view

5 hours ago, Yukon0009 said:

Any way to tune down the mod so that it doesnt kill my computer when I try to play? 

2 hours ago, Paul_Sawyer said:

Is it ASUS X550V? In any case, I have similar configuration - i5-3230m and GT 740m and for me the performance hit of scatterer with oceans enabled is quiet massive.

Also, has "atmospheric" sunglare texture been promoted to "orbital" or is it just temporary there?

Reveal hidden contents

bC5F8N8.png

If you're getting performance problems try lowering AA and lowering the rendering quality from fantastic for something else, these help a lot with the oceans on my i3 1.8ghz+gt 740m laptop. I don't know why Joco223 is getting such big performance drops, I'm on a 560 Ti on my desktop and still run 30-40 fps, maybe try lowering AA or something else. Otherwise yeah, the ocean has some performance impact but there's no real way around it, It's already more than optimized enough, as a last resort you can just disable the oceans, set "hasOcean=false" in the planetsList file.

For the sunglare in orbit it's a bug with the newest version.

1 hour ago, DuoDex said:

What mods are you using for that aircraft carrier? I have a Linux rig and would like to do some stress-testing :P

Also : If we get CPU waves, does this mean that the Linux derps will be reduced or fixed? I've had the ocean shaders turned off for a while now, they are just too buggy to be really worth messing with on OpenGL/Linux.

Well the waves will be generated and animated on the CPU, but they will still be rendered on the GPU. I thought about it, but it depends on where the bug is coming from, if it's from the generation then they might go away, if it's in the rendering then nope. I don't want to get your hopes up, but since they seem different with every rebuild they might be from the generation. I have no real idea where these artifacts come from as I couldn't ever reproduce them. Btw these bugs aren't linux-only.

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, DuoDex said:

1 hour ago, Temeter said:

Those are B9 HX parts.

What Temeter said :) You'll probably want to get the Hanger Extender as well if you want to use more than a couple of the huge parts.

Hi @blackrack, I'm tryinig to minimize as much as possible the stock gap in the change from PQS to Scaled Space to launch KSPRC. Scatterer helps a lot with that task and works perfectly with terrains, doing the gap barely noticeable in the lands. But the scattering effect seems to not be working so nicely with the new ocean shader at high altitudes (at PQS scales is simply gorgeous). Of course with Scatterer the change is much better than in stock, and finally we have the sun correctly reflected in the ocean at PQS scales!! (my designer OCD was waiting for this so long... I can't say thanks enough times).

So I was wondering: would be possible in the future to have two ocean colors? One for high altitude, another for surface, blending in the rising? That could reduce a lot the gap in the oceans... If not: could be possible to make the scattering effect so strong over the ocean as over the terrain? That also could allow change some altitude points to do the gap less noticeable.

Edited by Proot

33 minutes ago, Proot said:

Hi @blackrack, I'm tryinig to minimize as much as possible the stock gap in the change from PQS to Scaled Space to launch KSPRC. Scatterer helps a lot with that task and works perfectly with terrains, doing the gap barely noticeable in the lands. But the scattering effect seems to not be working so nicely with the new ocean shader at high altitudes (at PQS scales is simply gorgeous). Of course with Scatterer the change is much better than in stock, and finally we have the sun correctly reflected in the ocean at PQS scales!! (my designer OCD was waiting for this so long... I can't say thanks enough times).

So I was wondering: would be possible in the future to have two ocean colors? One for high altitude, another for surface, blending in the rising? That could reduce a lot the gap in the oceans... If not: could be possible to make the scattering effect so strong over the ocean as over the terrain? That also could allow change some altitude points to do the gap less noticeable.

Yeah why not, I could do this. Btw keep in mind right now the oceans disappear after a certain altitude and it might be what's causing the disparity. As far as I know there shouldn't be a difference in strength between the scattering over the land and the ocean, however the ocean has built-in "extinction" which causes it's color to change from a long distance while the terrain doesn't, I thought it looked nice especially on Laythe so I kept it in, if you think it's the culprit I'll just make it togglable or adjustable, to see it clearly you have to disable the postprocessing.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Yeah why not, I could do this. Btw keep in mind right now the oceans disappear after a certain altitude and it might be what's causing the disparity. As far as I know there shouldn't be a difference in strength between the scattering over the land and the ocean, however the ocean has built-in "extinction" which causes it's color to change from a long distance while the terrain doesn't, I thought it looked nice especially on Laythe so I kept it in, if you think it's the culprit I'll just make it togglable or adjustable, to see it clearly you have to disable the postprocessing.

If you can "hold" the color and shine effect of the ocean shader until higher altitude and then make it blend to the scaled space texture (to avoid the ocean bed's blue) this could avoid the gap even more.
But here is the issue: for test, I've made my texture of Kerbin with black oceans and I've made the ocean shader match the colors of the altitude points 3-4 with the texture color. Even with a black ocean texture, you can see dark blue oceans in the points "map view" and 4 due to the atomospheric scattering (which is correct), but even in that conditions, when you descend at terrain level the ocean shader becomes too bright to be realistic. That is why I proupose the "two-colors-fading" too.
Do I make myself clear?
Perhaps this is too convoluted for my English...

Edited by Proot

21 minutes ago, Proot said:

If you can "hold" the color and shine effect of the ocean shader until higher altitude and then make it blend to the scaled space texture (to avoid the ocean bed's blue) this could avoid the gap even more.
But here is the issue: for test, I've made my texture of Kerbin with black oceans and I've made the ocean shader match the colors of the altitude points 3-4 with the texture color. Even with a black ocean texture, you can see dark blue oceans in the points "map view" and 4 due to the atomospheric scattering (which is correct), but even in that conditions, when you descend at terrain level the ocean shader becomes too bright to be realistic. That is why I proupose the "two-colors-fading" too.
Do I make myself clear?

Black oceans as in the EVE terrain texture for the seabed is black? Or is it the TextureReplacer kerbin texture that has black oceans?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

5 minutes ago, Proot said:

Nope, the blue color in the sea bed is generated by the PQS system. I talk about the planet texture.

Interesting... I can't wait to see how it plays out. :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

56 minutes ago, Proot said:

Do I make myself clear?

Could you post some screens? The scattering has nothing to do with planet texture and is overlaid on whatever is rendered before it. Between points 3-4 that means between 55km and 170km, the ocean normally disables at 70km up and that should leave the black sea floor exposed. What is your oceanDisableAltitude value?

10 hours ago, Paul_Sawyer said:

X550V?

X75V. I have 1600x800 screen, not fullHD, which one do you have? It impacts perfomance quite a lot.
I also use OpenGL, so no AA for me. :(

Edited by sashan

4 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

You can tell your card to ignore application settings and force AA

I can try that again, but IIRC KSP being openGL application the card completely ignores that.

Edited by sashan

OpenGL has MSAA built in, and the program tells the GPU to apply the AA, thats why override works, the GPU just applies it to the rendered scene anyway, no matter what the program says, your card can apply anything once it's in the pipeline to the screen controller, which might be blackracks problem with the black ocean jaggies, I think he calls on the AA for scatterer but in some cases, especially OpenGL the GPU might be ignoring him or the game engine might not be forwarding on the calls.

I know if you turn on the in game AA to 2x, it makes it better even though the game might be in OpenGL and AA is turned off, or your GPU is ignoring the game calls and applying AA anyway. It says to me that scatterer expects the game AA to do certain things in order for it to work properly.

2 minutes ago, JT2227 said:

I'm getting no ocean textures as soon as I leave atmosphere to about 110km, I just see the seafloor.

http://imgur.com/a/NghBU

Log here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzwBQu9jNY8cOEhZeDZFbHY3SEk/view?usp=sharing

Ocean textures look amazing from the air though :)

Not a bug, the fancy ocean disables itself at 70000m. At around 110km the scaled space ocean starts fading in. Blackrack has said that this will change in upcoming versions. If you wan't you can change your .cfg so that the ocean continues to render past 70000m but there can be some visual bugs if you do.

OpenGL is working flawlessly for me on Win10 and GTX 980. The only issue I've seen is the already reported, occasionally disappearing ocean after revert to launch.

If I can be of any assistance in determining why it works and not for others I'll try to provide any information you think is helpful.