[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

9 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

Mistakes have been made.... I don't know what I did but KSP didn't like it and reverting to a fresh install of Scatterer isn't fixing it O.o

DUmYQmq.png

Edit: Just tried replacing the KSP files to see if that fixed it and it didn't..... I broke something immensely and I don't know if I should be proud of this or not.

Oh SWEET! You created a miniature Neptune!

KSP 1.0.5 32-bit, Win7 64-bit, Scatterer v0.023 (updated via CKAN)

Another potential problem.  All Scatterer features were off except Terrain Shadows.  On startup, KSC is fine but if I return to it during the game I get tilted KSC and there is no rotation control - the screen is fixed - but I can still enter the buildings that I can get my mouse to.  If I exit to the menu, and resume the game, KSC remains blue, vertical and unresponsive.  If I restart KSP, KSC displays correctly until I return to it.

I disabled Terrain Shadows without any noticeable effect.  I've rebuilt the MM database.

Output_Log

Diagnosing continues...

Edit 1: Removing Scatterer solves the problem.

Edit 2:  Using the .dll from above seems to solve the problem.  Still testing.  I have noticed, however, that using Scatterer adds considerably to the memory load.  I need to do some more work to quantify this.

Edited by Brigadier
More info

I'm having similar problems as Brigadier, Nhawks, Cratzz.  Difference is that while I also get the graphics screwups, I also have a doubled stock toolbar (second one is somewhat below and to the left of the normal position, no overlap), and a doubled SAS button panel (the double is slightly above and to the left, with overlap).

No RO, no RSS.  Using EVE.  Like the others, it happens when going to a vessel already in orbit from the tracking station, although the first time it happened was when going from the vessel to the Space Center.  Later attempts were from tracking station to vessel, but when going back to Space Center, it was fine.

Edit:  The .dll you provided a page or so back seems to have fixed it.

Edited by MaxxQ

Alright everyone, since the newest .dll seems to fix the blue screen and tilted KSC issues, I've posted an updated, fixed version.

11 hours ago, Cratzz said:

Does anyone have a setup to use with RSS?

I was trying to use scatter and with the RSS workaround, I changed the planet name for Earth and Mars, but on the last line it mentioned something about changing the MapViewScale, but it did not say change to what.

Any idea what i should change it to? Its default set to 0.998. And the loadDistance and unloadDistance settings in PlanetList.cfg needing change dont stick. They revert to default.

In the newest version you don't have to fiddle with mapviewscale anymore. I guess I haven't updated that in a while, I'll probably make some standalone RSS configs soon.

Edited by blackrack

14 hours ago, blackrack said:

Was the performance 5 fps before or was there a performance hit with the new .dll? Try this one https://mega.nz/#!vNRkgChA!bnfL8d__gx46cbS4MfLvZ1Z2sR_0ji3yVNqsHykuIIo @Nhawks17 also try it

Anyway, godrays visible from LKO are silly but that's just how tiny Kerbin is.

It wasn't great, but not as bad. The new dll is much better :) I had to book out and do a sound gig at a local establishment so I couldn't really follow up on that last night. The new dll (though I've not yet had a chance to put the new production version in) has completely acceptable performance even with all the stuff turned on.

And you know, I kinda like that about KSP, the sort of Lilliputian/Petit Prince way the worlds are. They're all improbably dense (even if the cores are made of osmium they can't have that much surface g), and those mountains could never happen in nature, they just wouldn't last very long if they somehow got thrown up by geological processes. I sort of view it as like a cartoon universe, and I set up my mods to exaggerate that (for example, I have Distant Objects set up to have the largest flares possible, the most saturation possible, and as bright as possible... makes it more cartoony ;) ). Having those godrays from LKO just adds to it; it's a real contributor to the overall vibe, so don't make 'em go away!

The tiny little star system also significantly cuts down on the travel time... :D

I'll get and fire up the new release when I get home from work, but I fully expect it to rock.

@blackrack, just wanted to thank you for this mod. It made KSP that much awesome. 

Of course, as everything I do have a question. My issue is the tiny sun disk with RSS in the latest version. Just wondering if anyone has figured out the right sunflare.cfg settings and if they're willing to share. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tenebrae

1 hour ago, Tenebrae said:

@blackrack, just wanted to thank you for this mod. It made KSP that much awesome. 

Of course, as everything I do have a question. My issue is the tiny sun disk with RSS in the latest version. Just wondering if anyone has figured out the right sunflare.cfg settings and if they're willing to share. :rolleyes:

All you need to do is take the first two lines and scale them up (or in this case scale them down because the value is the inverse of the scale).

If I had to take a guess I'd try to scale them up five times, so basically: 

//sunFlare.png
flareSettings = 0.45,1,0.17

//sunSpikes.png
spikesSettings = 0.6,1,0.2

I haven't tested this though so adjust accordingly.

@blackrack, thanks for your quick reply.

I played around with the values. This is what it shows up as from orbit. Inside the atmosphere the tiny dot is mitigated by the glare effects so it's not much of an issue. I've added the configpoint 5 settings, maybe I'm so utterly useless that I'm missing something here.

http://imgur.com/a/Y0Lam

Edited by Tenebrae

57 minutes ago, Tenebrae said:

@blackrack, thanks for your quick reply.

I played around with the values. This is what it shows up as from orbit. Inside the atmosphere the tiny dot is mitigated by the glare effects so it's not much of an issue. I've added the configpoint 5 settings, maybe I'm so utterly useless that I'm missing something here.

http://imgur.com/a/Y0Lam

35 minutes ago, Svm420 said:

@blackrack

Any idea what would cause a "naked" sun? Linux mint 14.1 amd HD7950. Logs. This was just squad folder, vens, and scatterer. Thanks!

Reveal hidden contents

inar1K3.jpg

I don't know really, could be that the sunflare shader isn't working at all with linux, which is weird as I tested with OpenGL and it works. @Svm420 Do you get a static pink square on the runway or the launchpad when you launch something? . @Tenebrae could you test if the lens flare shader works without RSS?

20 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I don't know really, could be that the sunflare shader isn't working at all with linux, which is weird as I tested with OpenGL and it works. @Svm420 Do you get a static pink square on the runway or the launchpad when you launch something? . @Tenebrae could you test if the lens flare shader works without RSS?

Yes I do! I knew it was scatterer as it started appearing after the latest update. Is it relevant? Sometimes in space as well though that may have been because of launching from the tracking station to an in flight vessel. Let me know if you need any more from me. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Svm420 said:

Yes I do! I knew it was scatterer as it started appearing after the latest update. Is it relevant? Sometimes in space as well though that may have been because of launching from the tracking station to an in flight vessel. Let me know if you need any more from me. Thanks!

Yeah if it's the one I'm thinking about it would mean the lens flare shader isn't working. Try with this file https://mega.nz/#!HZBFjLJY!EuT9OXeCb9WnsakQ_CVu3_EsNUezGEGvsNFZ0GGqiZA replace the one in your shaders folder

4 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Great, also check if it turns red in sunsets and there isn't any blurriness or anything.

Seems to. I am uploading a sunrise pic for you to see yourself. 

Spoiler

N28FrMf.jpg

Edited by Svm420

6 minutes ago, Tenebrae said:

@blackrack

It does work in a mainly vanilla install...and it does look gorgeous...I am sad now. :(

Any other possibilities? Maybe I'll just revert to the previous version with my RSS install.

Previous versions don't have the lens flare. I'll just give it a whirl in RSS and see if I can find any problems or configure it.

I have strange artifact with the new version (0.0230 and 0.0231), it appears both on my win64 and on a clean win32 install with only scatterer. Artifact only appears from zenith to night.

This not happen with Terrain shadow off. Any idea?

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

All you need to do is take the first two lines and scale them up (or in this case scale them down because the value is the inverse of the scale).

If I had to take a guess I'd try to scale them up five times, so basically: 

//sunFlare.png
flareSettings = 0.45,1,0.17

//sunSpikes.png
spikesSettings = 0.6,1,0.2

I haven't tested this though so adjust accordingly.

Do you plan to add editability of these parameters in game? Thanks!