[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

2 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Both the ocean and lens flare don't work with the built-in KSP screenshot function, use an external screenshot tool. In the future the lens flare is fixable but as far as I can tell the ocean isn't.

Never saw this before, could you try forcing dx11 or another video mode and see if anything changes? And could you try playing with KSP rendering quality settings also?

Really? Those screenshots I uploaded previously were all taken with the built-in screenshot function and showed both. Only when I supersampled did I lose them.

11 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

Really? Those screenshots I uploaded previously were all taken with the built-in screenshot function and showed both. Only when I supersampled did I lose them.

Then it's supersampling, I always have it on for the built-in screenshots, what else is the point of that function otherwise.

Hi, I posted some issues with the mod on Reddit last night, and as a follow up, I changed density settings, turned on and off godrays and eclipses, tried it on a fresh install, tried it on a heavily modded one, no difference, the coloured lines still appeared. However, they only appeared in atmo and on LKO, I could not see them from the moon.

Just to jog your memory:

Spoiler

EaZIYkF.png

3 minutes ago, Akaishi_ said:

Hi, I posted some issues with the mod on Reddit last night, and as a follow up, I changed density settings, turned on and off godrays and eclipses, tried it on a fresh install, tried it on a heavily modded one, no difference, the coloured lines still appeared. However, they only appeared in atmo and on LKO, I could not see them from the moon.

Just to jog your memory:

Reveal hidden contents

EaZIYkF.png

Hmm, does this happen with older versions?

41 minutes ago, vctr said:

Using the latest Scatterer, I'm noticing graphical fighting/flickering between the terrain and the water when I move the camera around. Has this issue been noticed before? Had a hard time searching the thread for this specific thing.

I get that, but not quite as bad. I wish I had some technical advice to alleviate it. I assumed it fell under 'z-fighting' issues mentioned earlier in the thread.

1 hour ago, vctr said:

Using the latest Scatterer, I'm noticing graphical fighting/flickering between the terrain and the water when I move the camera around. Has this issue been noticed before? Had a hard time searching the thread for this specific thing. 

https://gfycat.com/BelatedCorruptKillerwhale

Looks like z-fighting, weird, I haven't seen z-fighting in a while. Which graphics API are you running?

1 hour ago, Milkshakefiend said:

Scatterer already made atmo flights a bit special, the new version is abso-bloody-lutely primo though. I seriously don't think I could play KSP without it now. Your work is very much appreciated!

At this point I'm pretty sure all everyone cares about in the new release is the lens flare :P 

Great looking SR-71 btw

Edited by blackrack

29 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Looks like z-fighting, weird, I haven't seen z-fighting in a while. Which graphics API are you running?

I'm seeing this with stock KSP, -force-d3d11, -force-d3d9, and openGL. I've rolled back to 0.0220 and the z-fighting is no longer present in that version.

Thx for being so on top of things. Will buy you a coffee soon :P

2 minutes ago, vctr said:

I'm seeing this with stock KSP, -force-d3d11, -force-d3d9, and openGL. I've rolled back to 0.0220 and the z-fighting is no longer present in that version.

Thx for being so on top of things. Will buy you a coffee soon :P

Check if it goes away when you disable the ocean (toggle ocean button in UI). Also, in 0.0220 there was a method to "fake" the ocean when at high altitude, didn't it give you z-fighting near the coasts?

8 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Check if it goes away when you disable the ocean (toggle ocean button in UI). Also, in 0.0220 there was a method to "fake" the ocean when at high altitude, didn't it give you z-fighting near the coasts?

It does go away when I turn off the ocean. In 0.0220, there is some minor coastal z-fighting "vibration," but not the larger continent-wide flickering I'm seeing in later versions.

14 minutes ago, vctr said:

It does go away when I turn off the ocean. In 0.0220, there is some minor coastal z-fighting "vibration," but not the larger continent-wide flickering I'm seeing in later versions.

Hmm, well I still have no clue why it would happen, I suppose I could put back the old method and make it switchable as a temporary work-around. Is there nothing else at all that affects it?

1 minute ago, stratvox said:

I'll just leave this here:

Glorious!

14 hours ago, blackrack said:

Never saw this before, could you try forcing dx11 or another video mode and see if anything changes? And could you try playing with KSP rendering quality settings also?

I see this in OpenGL, and not only this:

Spoiler

C6QoK81.png

Playing with render quality doesn't seem to improve things, only disabling terrain shadows solves it.

Also this new version seems to trigger the EVE's bug with city lights appearing on other bodies, in this case on Mimnmus (doesn't happen in 0.0223):

Spoiler

uFJLvcX.png

And another minor glitch - flag decals are not affected by sunflare:

Spoiler

ry62z65.png

Sorry for long report. :) Apart from all that, this is a cool update. I especially like the new sunflare - makes the sun really dazzling now.

6 hours ago, Paul_Sawyer said:

I see this in OpenGL, and not only this:

Reveal hidden contents

C6QoK81.png

Playing with render quality doesn't seem to improve things, only disabling terrain shadows solves it.

Also this new version seems to trigger the EVE's bug with city lights appearing on other bodies, in this case on Mimnmus (doesn't happen in 0.0223):

Reveal hidden contents

uFJLvcX.png

And another minor glitch - flag decals are not affected by sunflare:

Reveal hidden contents

ry62z65.png

Sorry for long report. :) Apart from all that, this is a cool update. I especially like the new sunflare - makes the sun really dazzling now.

For the EVE city lights bug I have no idea really, did you mean 0.0232 and not 0.223?

For the sunflare with the flags I'll see if I can fix that.

1 hour ago, jsimmons said:

I have a quick configuration question. Which configuration fields impact the "fogginess" of the atmosphere the most?

Postprocessing depth.

Hi,

I am using the latest version of this and have many glitches and bugs. The 'god' rays create a striping over the land and become solid black when looking at them from the surface at certain angles. Also the ocean is still really glitchy for me. I have seen it is the same for Scott Manley.

Can someone who believes they have no issues with the ocean shader post a video of them panning and moving the camera up and down? I think it might be an overarching issue I am having.

13 hours ago, stratvox said:

I'll just leave this here:

Cool, but how does it look from the ground?

6 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Hi,

I am using the latest version of this and have many glitches and bugs. The 'god' rays create a striping over the land and become solid black when looking at them from the surface at certain angles. Also the ocean is still really glitchy for me. I have seen it is the same for Scott Manley.

Can someone who believes they have no issues with the ocean shader post a video of them panning and moving the camera up and down? I think it might be an overarching issue I am having.

For the first issue it's described in the known issues section, it's because the godrays are incomplete for now.

For the second one I've seen it in scott manley's video, it was also reported back up in thsi page or the previous one, I can tell you I don't have it and can't reproduce it so I don't know what causes it or why some people have it.

Edited by blackrack

Just now, blackrack said:

For the first issue it's described in the known issues section, it's because the godrays are incomplete for now.

For the second one I've seen it in scott manley's video, it was also reported back up in thsi page or the previous one, I can tell you I don't have it and can't reproduce it so I don't know what causes it or why some people have it.

Do you have a video of you panning the camera up and down ingame?