[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Just now, blackrack said:

Which altitude you want?

From sea level near the KSC if i move the camera around, up down slow or fast I get the glitching. I see it at the coast and I see phantom sea on the land and the suns reflection in it. Thank you for doing this, I really just want confirmation It is something at my end.

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

From sea level near the KSC if i move the camera around, up down slow or fast I get the glitching. I see it at the coast and I see phantom sea on the land and the suns reflection in it. Thank you for doing this, I really just want confirmation It is something at my end.

I get some glitching with the near camera but nothing higher up like in the scott manley video, I'll make a video.

4 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I get some glitching with the near camera but nothing higher up like in the scott manley video, I'll make a video.

So you do get the glitching on the coast and phantom seas on the land at sea level? Also the colours at sea level at dusk look really UN-natural in this version:

x0z0a8.jpg

Edited by Majorjim

15 hours ago, blackrack said:

Hmm, well I still have no clue why it would happen, I suppose I could put back the old method and make it switchable as a temporary work-around. Is there nothing else at all that affects it?

No idea what more could cause this. I could play with the ocean parameters later and see if I can isolate the cause. Maybe it's just my video card or something and maybe it'll resolve itself in time. I can use the old method if you reintroduce it. Thanks for your help, I just donated $5. I appreciate your dedication :)

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

For the EVE city lights bug I have no idea really, did you mean 0.0232 and not 0.223?

0.0232 for sure, I've never seen it in any previous version, and when I installed 0.0223 instead of 0.0232, the lights disappeared.
I will see if I can reproduce it with EVE and scatterer only right now.

Edited by Paul_Sawyer

5 minutes ago, vctr said:

No idea what more could cause this. I could play with the ocean parameters later and see if I can isolate the cause. Maybe it's just my video card or something and maybe it'll resolve itself in time. I can use the old method if you reintroduce it. Thanks for your help, I just donated $5. I appreciate your dedication :)

Thank you, if I can't fix the problem the proper way I'll just reintroduce the old method. BTw I just thought of something, do you have a framerate cap on in the settings and what kind of framerate do you get ingame?

13 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

So you do get the glitching on the coast and phantom seas on the land at sea level? Also the colours at sea level at dusk look really UN-natural in this version:

Here's a webm, excuse the laptop-tier framerate and quality http://webm.host/46974/vid.webm

notice the glitching only affects the near camera, I believe everyone gets this because the near camera's clipping plane is ridiculously low, something like 0.1 or 0.05 and so z-precision is probably awful. Notice there are no additional problems when panning and no problems at all from high altitude like in manley's video.

For the colors, I switched to a new method of computing extinction and inscattering which fixes the old very obvious horizon break: http://i.imgur.com/y2Jyo7i.png (although there are still some occasional artifacts near the horizon but not nearly as bad) and makes the colors more natural. It looks unnatural around dusk but if you had godrays on you'd see black mountains instead which is the way it's supposed to be.

4 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Also the new sun glare looks amazing but looks really odd with the stock fairings:

Probably the same issue as with the flag reported above, I'll see if I can fix it.

3 minutes ago, Paul_Sawyer said:

0.0232 for sure, I've never seen it in any previous version, and when I installed 0.0223 the lights disappeared.
I will see if I can reproduce it with EVE and scatterer only right now.

Well if it's gone in 0.0232 was probably fixed at the same time another bug was fixed which caused @Nhawks17 to see city lights in space.

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

Thanks for that Blackrack. It was hard to say as it was so stuttery and your settings are way lower than mine (all maxed). Perhaps that is why you did not see the glitching.

No, on my desktop it works fine, and only the near camera has the same glitches as in the webm, but I only have my laptop on hand now. You can ask someone else for a video or watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVvglDyM-Ok though it's a bit outdated, depends on which the version you started seeing the glitches in.

No, on my desktop it works fine, and only the near camera has the same glitches as in the webm, but I only have my laptop on hand now. You can ask someone else for a video or watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVvglDyM-Ok though it's a bit outdated, depends on which the version you started seeing the glitches in.

In that video you can actually see one of the glitches I get on the coast. Look at 3:17 you will see it. Also I just loaded into the game again and i have no glitches... It seems to happen at random. I am trying to record it to show you.

Edited by Majorjim

3 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

In that video you can actually see one of the glitches I get on the coast. Look at 3:17 you will see it. Also I just loaded into the game again and i have no glitches... It seems to happen at random. I am trying to record it to show you.

I may have an idea on why this happens, but it's also not fixable most likely, another quick question, do you have an fps cap in game and what kind of framerate do you get?

I may have an idea on why this happens, but it's also not fixable most likely, another quick question, do you have an fps cap in game and what kind of framerate do you get?

No FPS cap matey. I get 60 FPS at the KSC, with a 130 part craft on the pad I get 50 and up. What is the idea you have about the cause?

EDIT

I just started a new save and I am getting the glitches now.. How can that be?

Edited by Majorjim

18 minutes ago, blackrack said:

BTw I just thought of something, do you have a framerate cap on in the settings and what kind of framerate do you get ingame?

No framerate capping. The video example I shared earlier was doing about 100fps. Good luck identifying the cause. Interesting that I'm not seeing this issue raised by others. Would hate for you to revert to the old method if I'm the only one :P

@blackrack,

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Well if it's gone in 0.0232 was probably fixed at the same time another bug was fixed which caused @Nhawks17 to see city lights in space.

I think we didn't understand each other :) It was gone when I replaced newest scatterer with older version. In the newest version it happens when terrain shadows are on - the city lights textures from BoulderCo begin to appear on Minmus and Mun. Here are the logs:
output_log

KSP_log

EDIT: darn, forgot to mention - it's in OpenGL

Edited by Paul_Sawyer

6 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

No FPS cap matey. I get 60 FPS at the KSC, with a 130 part craft on the pad I get 50 and up. What is the idea you have about the cause?

EDIT

I just started a new save and I am getting the glitches now.. How can that be?

Here is a short video of the issue, it does not always happen but it ONLY happens if I use the ocean shader.

14 minutes ago, vctr said:

No framerate capping. The video example I shared earlier was doing about 100fps. Good luck identifying the cause. Interesting that I'm not seeing this issue raised by others. Would hate for you to revert to the old method if I'm the only one :P

Could you try capping the framerate at 60? I'm assuming you don't have a 100hz monitor.

10 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Here is a short video of the issue, it does not always happen but it ONLY happens if I use the ocean shader.

I won't get into technical details, but I would ve thought it's framerate related, specifically getting a higher framerate than your refresh rate, but you said it isn't the case so no idea.

13 minutes ago, Paul_Sawyer said:

@blackrack,

I think we didn't understand each other :) It was gone when I replaced newest scatterer with older version. In the newest version it happens when terrain shadows are on - the city lights textures from BoulderCo begin to appear on Minmus and Mun. Here are the logs:
output_log

KSP_log

Well you kept mentioning 0.0223 which doesn't exist so I assumed you misspelled 0.0232

I won't get into technical details, but I would ve thought it's framerate related, specifically getting a higher framerate than your refresh rate, but you said it isn't the case so no idea.

I will try without other mods to check, if not I just wont use it.

Really, you could just ignore it for now, it's certainly still easier on the eyes than the stock ocean.

Thing is, when it glitches it looks awful and happens at all altitudes, not sure about orbit though. I like it from sea level, not so much from orbit though. And I kinda like the stock ocean. :blush: It could do with a colour update though.

I get a weird issue with this game OR Scatterer.  Using DX11, no graphical issues, but I get this problem with performance after using the SPH/VAB until restarting the game. As long as I don't touch either of those, performance is fine,

RzP0QKf.png

If I knock DX11 and go to DX10 or DX9, that performance issue goes away, but then I get fat black stripes across the entirety of terrain with exception of my immediate area (About 200 meter circle around me) from scatterer

yqLbnSB.png

Is there a solution to either of these problems that anyone knows about?

Edited by Sabor

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

Could you try capping the framerate at 60? I'm assuming you don't have a 100hz monitor.

No luck with capped 60fps. I have solved the issue though...Interestingly, I just switched to x64 via using community workaround, and the z-fighting I shared with you is no longer present...doesn't make any sense to me, but I guess I'll allow it :).

Edit: Seems installing KSP Renaissance Compilation seems to have also been a factor in the z-fighting going away. It could be the actual variable.

Edited by vctr

3 hours ago, Sabor said:

I get a weird issue with this game OR Scatterer.  Using DX11, no graphical issues, but I get this problem with performance after using the SPH/VAB until restarting the game. As long as I don't touch either of those, performance is fine,

If I knock DX11 and go to DX10 or DX9, that performance issue goes away, but then I get fat black stripes across the entirety of terrain with exception of my immediate area (About 200 meter circle around me) from scatterer

Is there a solution to either of these problems that anyone knows about?

Could you test if the performance issue persists with stock only?

2 hours ago, vctr said:

Edit: Seems installing KSP Renaissance Compilation seems to have also been a factor in the z-fighting going away. It could be the actual variable.

This also doesn't make sense but whatever works...