[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

4 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Does mapview ever work at all? Which version of the mod are you on?

No, not in RSS for me. It's always this tiny spot.  Tested with latest SpaceDock download and the version you posted a page ago. 

2 minutes ago, Theysen said:

No, not in RSS for me. It's always this tiny spot.  Tested with latest SpaceDock download and the version you posted a page ago. 

I really don't see any reason why it would work in stock but not RSS, even with default sunflare size I still see the flare in map view in RSS. If you don't see the sunflare at all in mapview you have a big problem. Which other mods are you using? Which config are you using for scatterer with RSS?

2 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I really don't see any reason why it would work in stock but not RSS, even with default sunflare size I still see the flare in map view in RSS. If you don't see the sunflare at all in mapview you have a big problem. Which other mods are you using? Which config are you using for scatterer with RSS?

Just downloaded from SpaceDock, unchanged configs, I just changed the celestial name to Earth, using Directx9. There is nothing in the Mapview.

-Kopernicus

-Real Solar System

-RSS Textures (2k resolution)

-scatterer

-Module Manager

1 minute ago, Theysen said:

Just downloaded from SpaceDock, unchanged configs, I just changed the celestial name to Earth, using Directx9. There is nothing in the Mapview.

-Kopernicus

-Real Solar System

-RSS Textures (2k resolution)

-scatterer

-Module Manager

Right, you have a ton of nullrefs in the log, you should at least start by looking at the log.

Change the scattererCelestialBodies section in your planetsList.cfg to this

scattererCelestialBodies
{
	Item
	{
		celestialBodyName = Earth
		transformName = Kerbin
		loadDistance = 5E+07
		unloadDistance = 1E+08
		hasOcean = True
		eclipseCasters
		{
			Item = Moon
		}
	}
}

In other words, remove all the celestial bodies that aren't actually in RSS. Next rename the Kerbin folder to Earth, that should do it.

5 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Right, you have a ton of nullrefs in the log, you should at least start by looking at the log.

Change the scattererCelestialBodies section in your planetsList.cfg to this

scattererCelestialBodies
{
	Item
	{
		transformName = Kerbin
		loadDistance = 5E+07
		unloadDistance = 1E+08
		hasOcean = True
		eclipseCasters
		{
			Item = Moon
		}
	}
}

In other words, remove all the celestial bodies that aren't actually in RSS. Next rename the Kerbin folder to Earth, that should do it.

That's exactly how I've set it up, I should have mentioned that. It's the reason I am posting at all, because up to this issue there has never been a problem with your work I couldn't adapt in RSS.

And unfortunately after double checking there's still no flare in the mapview or inflight.  If it works on your end then I will stop bothering, it might be a temporary thing on my side then. 

1 minute ago, Theysen said:

That's exactly how I've set it up, I should have mentioned that. It's the reason I am posting at all, because up to this issue there has never been a problem with your work I couldn't adapt in RSS.

And unfortunately after double checking there's still no flare in the mapview or inflight.  If it works on your end then I will stop bothering, it might be a temporary thing on my side then. 

You have something wrong in the planetsList, really, there are nullrefs in the log in the fixDrawOrders() method. The sunflare only updates after the draw orders are fixed, post your planetsList file here.

Edited by blackrack

5 minutes ago, blackrack said:

You have something wrong in the planetsList, really, there are nullrefs in the log in the fixDrawOrders() method. The sunflare only updates after the draw orders are fixed, post your planetsList file here.

scattererCelestialBodies
{
	Item
	{
		transformName = Kerbin
		loadDistance = 5E+07
		unloadDistance = 1E+08
		hasOcean = True
		eclipseCasters
		{
			Item = Moon
		}
	}
}

Of course, Kerbin folder is renamed to Earth

Edited by Theysen

44 minutes ago, Theysen said:

Of course, Kerbin folder is renamed to Earth

Ok hold on, I'm going to download RSS again and check.

Edited: @Theysen I'm not sure if I had an outdated build of RSS earlier or if I broke something without noticing but this should fix it: https://mega.nz/#!yNZ3QSiR!v6ubutztkYOk2_cEip6uH-itMw1OiRo1IuK0fv6NDQU

If you get any other issues or if you start getting new ones report them also.

Edited by blackrack

49 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Ok hold on, I'm going to download RSS again and check.

Edited: @Theysen I'm not sure if I had an outdated build of RSS earlier or if I broke something without noticing but this should fix it: https://mega.nz/#!yNZ3QSiR!v6ubutztkYOk2_cEip6uH-itMw1OiRo1IuK0fv6NDQU

If you get any other issues or if you start getting new ones report them also.

I'll Check when i wake up! It might be, there was a new RSS Version released almost simultaneously with the scatterer update, so unlucky coincidence :( 

Will do so, awesome :) 

51 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Does the scatterer sun flare work outside the atmosphere?

Build rocket, launch...... look around

(Yes it works)

Also look at pictures posted by other users like sashan for instance

7wi6CGY.png

Edited by V8jester

I noticed that the sun flashed strobe-like shortly during sunrise, and possibly the moon as well when visible from the pad during a daytime launch. @Theysen might be able to confirm or refute that, and I will later test it on a more controlled installed. But beyond those little oddities, 100% functionality in RSS!

(and the rescaling worked as well)

Edited by stratochief66

8 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Awesome! :D Does it support kopernicus stars?

Not yet, but it sounds like a great and easy to implement feature, what's a kopernicus pack with multiple suns?

6 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

I noticed that the sun flashed strobe-like shortly during sunrise, and possibly the moon as well when visible from the pad during a daytime launch. @Theysen might be able to confirm or refute that, and I will later test it on a more controlled installed. But beyond those little oddities, 100% functionality in RSS!

(and the rescaling worked as well)

Could you make a video of the strobing perhaps?

Edited by blackrack

8 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Not yet, but it sounds like a great and easy to implement feature, what's a kopernicus pack with multiple suns?

Could you make a video of the strobing perhaps?

First of all, works 100% as @stratochief66 stated :) 

I can report the strobe issue too, it appears near the rims of the horizon up to a certain point for the sun. In mapmode it works fine. The moon flickers constantly and also in map mode when not focused. I tested it with eclipses turnt on and off but it doesn't affect it.  I'll upload a quick clip, of course.

https://youtu.be/gK8yD_R2DH8

5 hours ago, Theysen said:

First of all, works 100% as @stratochief66 stated :) 

I can report the strobe issue too, it appears near the rims of the horizon up to a certain point for the sun. In mapmode it works fine. The moon flickers constantly and also in map mode when not focused. I tested it with eclipses turnt on and off but it doesn't affect it.  I'll upload a quick clip, of course.

https://youtu.be/gK8yD_R2DH8

Alright, that's pretty accurate, I'll look at it.

Edited:

@Theysen  @stratochief66 Grab this https://mega.nz/#!yc4yABLR!CpbBgK_9BVFyabsBZX1OkjwkvQwy-KYEJjQmsQbSBtw or revert to the previous .dll (the one with the memory savings), this time change both entries in the planetsList file to Earth

scattererCelestialBodies
{
	Item
	{
		transformName = Earth
		loadDistance = 5E+07
		unloadDistance = 1E+08
		hasOcean = True
		eclipseCasters
		{
			Item = Moon
		}
	}
}

It seems with either the newest version of RSS or Kopernicus the differing transformName is no longer required, maybe @NathanKell could confirm this.

Edited:

I've updated the downloads with the memory-improved version

Edited by blackrack

50 minutes ago, Shadowslime said:

This is a really awesome mod, but I have been a weird visual bug where odd lines appear on the ground and distant objects look jagged

That's not a weird bug, it's mentioned many times in the last 10 pages. Please read back before posting.

On 2/3/2016 at 4:20 PM, blackrack said:

Switch to dx11 or disable terrain shadows.

Edited by GrugInAus
Provide a previously mentioned fix from blackrack